“It's improved again.”
Review of Swinside Inn

Swinside Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a dog friendly, family run pub, in a fantastic setting, serving traditional pub food for hungry walkers.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The poor old Swinside Inn really went through a bad patch a few years ago which was a real shame as it is in a fantastic location. The new owners are taking advantage of all of its inherent qualities: a charming old buidling, good views, log fires etc.

In the beautiful and realatively (for the Lake District) quieter Newlands Valley the Swinside now offers pretty good food again and pleasant service. Mainly straightforward pub food and some good beers too. We found the staff were trying to be helpful and friendly. We hope that they succeed as it would be good to have the Swinside back again as a reliable pub in this part of the Lake District.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had lunch here with my partner after a bike ride in the Newlands valley. The service was quick, the portions were ample, and the food was much better than I would normally expect in a hotel/pub type setting. E.g. the relish and salad dressing that came with my lamb burger were very tasty and seemed homemade. The salad was fresh, the chips were good, the burger was nice - lamb with mint. My partner's fellman's lunch was very satisfying, with good hunks of real cheese, nice bread with a bit of substance to it, and again the good salad. We eyed the giant yorkshire pud being served at the neighbouring table with some envy, too.
The setting could be more amazing if the windows were bigger or the carpark not in front of the outside seating. But the location is fantastic if you are on your way back from a walk or bike ride in Newlands. Also ample parking, bike parking and a very relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We visited the Lake District in April with gales blowing outside, we had two evening meals at The Swinside Inn and for us the main course was sufficient. The ample walkers portions were well cooked, but not cheffy in their presentation. The beer served on tap was from a local brewery and suited our palate.
The main Inn was typical of an old pub with a fire at one end. The floor in this area was raised and needed two steps to reach it. The Inn was warm, cosy and welcoming a great retreat from the gales outside. There was also an area outside overlooking Cat Bells with tables for sampling the food and drink.
Great walkers pub.

1  Thank Lawsos
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Took the my better half there for lunch the beer was good. They where able to deal with my dietary requirement with no fuss at all. This pub will be visited more in the future. The views from the windows are breath tacking.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I first visited the Swinside Inn back in the 1980's and for many years came back to stay on a regular basis attracted by the fantastic location as a base for fellwalking in the NW Lakes, the food, the beer, the hospitality of the staff and the general comfortable feeling about the place. After a few 'iffy' comments a number of years ago about the Swinside by friends of mine it dropped off our rota of places to stay in the Lake District. However after a change of hands and the new management having a good reputation in other establihments I decided it was time to give the Swinside another visit and my friends and I were not disappointed. We had a wonderful weekend enjoying a fine range of real ales in the evenings after excellent walking on the adjacent fells during the day. The menu is varied with a interesting and tempting specials board. The food is cooked to a very high standard; compliments to the chef are well deserved. The Swinside Inn is back to its very best and it will not be long before I will be making a return visit; it is back on the rota.