“Don't waste your time...”

OLG Casino Point Edward
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: OLG Casino Point Edward has 450 slot machines plus 27 table games including Texas Hold'em Poker and more! Enjoy our full service Getaway restaurant. Mon to Wed 9am to 4am and Thurs to Sun 24 hours!
Reviewed July 26, 2016

So my fiance and I took our boat from Michigan to Sarnia Bay Marina for the night, we took a cab over to the Casino to check it out. We walked in and are looking where to exchange our money in the lobby....we then walk over to security to ask that same question As we are walking towards them, still over 10 feet away they tell us they smell alcohol and we are not allowed in. Really!! We had 2 beers each at the marina but we were NOT drunk! And there was NO WAY they could smell it on us from over 10 feet away. We probably did look a little confused due to not ever being there! We politely said "OK Bye" and laughed on our way back to the marina at how stunning and ridiculous that was, we were both saying " did that just really happen" Don't waste your time if they are that rude they don't deserve customers going there. Our Cab driver said the place use to be packed now it's dead because of how they treat people, he also said if you order more than 2 drinks in an hour in the casino they will kick you out, FYI. We saved our money and will never be back.

Date of experience: July 2016
7  Thank Gary R
All reviews
"great food"
in 4 reviews
"the river"
in 7 reviews
"staff were very friendly"
"blue water bridge"
"discount"
"buffet"
"breakfast"

Reviewed July 24, 2016

My wife and I, along with another couple, came out for dinner and socializing on a Saturday night. Had lots of things to catch up on! Upon arrival, we were told it would be a 10-15 minute wait to sit outside by the water. We looked in and saw many empty tables and were told the reason for the wait was "we're understaffed." We went to the bar, found a table and sat down and had some drinks. After 35 minutes, we had all noticed the buzzer/alarm we were given had not yet gone off, so I went to ask the hostess what the delay was. She said no one had left from outside yet, and we should be called shortly. After returning to our bar table...making my way through 15-20 people waiting for tables like us...we sat and chatted for another 15 minutes. Again, we noticed the alarm had not yet gone off, and again approached the hostess to inquire. She said a couple of tables were getting ready to leave and "we should be called shortly." We, at this point, complained to the hostess that we were told 10-15 minutes, and could have gone elsewhere. She mentioned the alarm should be going off "any second." As we walked back to the bar, it goes off. We shuffle back to the restaurant, and are taken to the outdoor seating area. It really is hard to beat the view. A server came relatively (5 minutes) quickly and took our order, apologizing for the wait, as well as for sweating. It was VERY hot outside, but we also noticed there were only 3 servers, 1 of which...we were told be our server...was a new staff and was not able to serve drinks. We joked with her and told her it was fine, but then we proceeded to wait another 45 minutes for our food. When it arrived, again she apologized, but we made it clear we had been waiting for quite some time, and we felt it was unacceptable that a facility that is this big and government sponsored should be this disappointing, waving at the DOZENS of empty table around us, with DOZENS of people waiting to get in. Again, we were told it was a lack of staffing. We told the server (and the Manager on the way out...) the casino was losing money (and reputation) due to the wait, and being told otherwise. Unfortunately, we told the server (something called a floater...works throughout the building?) and hostess that it was not their fault, the service was very good, as was the food, but the wait was not acceptable. Be aware. The staffing/wait times...as well as being told there were no drink or food specials on a Saturday evening...make this a difficult to frequent this establishment.

Date of experience: July 2016
4  Thank Ted Z
Reviewed July 7, 2016

Almost every time we return to this OLG in Pt. Edward we find that at least one of our favourite games has been pulled off the floor. Last week (end of June) I found the Emerald City/ Wizard of Oz game to be confirmed PULLED from the floor and said to be not returning. Only one of the Block Party (Dean Martin) games remains on the floor. Additionally, we frequently have to search the floors for our favourite games as they either relocate them or take them off the floor altogether.
I find the floor/carpeting clean consistently. I find the plastic cups for the carbonated beverages and the ceramic cups for hot drinks to NOT be properly cleaned. The washroom(s) are problematic as people are evidently selfish in their using the facilities. The ladies have told me on occasion that their restroom is dirty with improperly disposed of hygiene papers. I, personally, have regularly encountered commodes and urinals that are not flushed! (I use my shoe/foot to flush the toilette.)
The dining outside is a beautiful sight to see. The St. Clair River is always pleasant to view. The staff are reasonably quick to take our orders. They are, however, slow in returning after our initial order has been placed. The food is AVERAGE-at-best in taste. The portions are far from a heapin'-helping but that's not necessarily a bad thing and someone has to pay the bills, staff, and up-keeping.
I'm pleasantly surprised to read that "Jesse E", who indicates undergoing "over four hours" driving to get to this casino, yet claims "better than average payouts". Personally, I've NOT EVER won more than $225, and that amount paid out to me has been won about twice in the past three years. It's far more the case for me/us to win $30 here, $50 there, and infrequently a "Big Win" of around $80.
Similarly, "Born2Travel_Canada" writes: (more in line to my repeated findings); The OLG in Pt. Edward is (found by us to be) "removing features at the restaurant but all $10 deals have been discontinued. Live-it-up Friday's have been cancelled."
I realize it is a CHARITY casino, yet it is FAR from any "FUN Time" being had by many! I'll drive for two or three hours to get to the (Niagara) Falls Casino and exponentially more so the Caesars Windsor any day!

4  Thank detigoronto19bj
Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

Always enjoy a night out at OLG Casino! Fun ambience - clean. Have dined in restaurant before - good food and great view
A fun night out!