“Second time we've had a poor experience - nice staff though!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ashington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Red Lion - Pulborough offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
West Sussex, UK
“Second time we've had a poor experience - nice staff though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Maybe it is the time we visit but this is the second visit we've had where we have felt the service time was just too long (we tend to visit mid afternoon on a weekend 3-4pm ish) and the food has been so so. The first time we fedback online at the address given by the pub, we never heard back.

This last visit we were a party of 7, from start to finish our two course meal (starters and mains) took nearly three hours and unfortunately the food when it did come was hit and miss. There was perhaps three other parties in the restaurant - it did slip out that there was a change of chefs half way through preparing our order though :) Steak pie was lovely. The steak and a burger were, to be honest rather on the burnt side. We all agreed the garlic flatbread really shouldn't have been served as it was so crispy!

The venue is lovely, the staff are really nice and some of the food is great. We really want to love this place - it is a really handy pub for us and we love the decor and atmosphere however not sure we will be going back.

As before perhaps it is the time we visit?

• 3 of 5 bubbles
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Sussex_2

Thank you for you comments with regards to your visit with us. I understand the issues with the quality of some food items and have raised this with the Kitchen team to ensure it doesn't continue.

If you feel you would like to pass further comment I would be glad to hear them and implement any changes to benefit the Red Lion for our Guests.

All the best,

Adam & the Team

“Going to make it our local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We have only just moved into the area and have been sampling the local hostelries; this one is currently top of the list. The pub has a nice selection of beers and an impressively narrated list of fine wines. The food menu is comprehensive and enticing. We went on a Sunday when there was a 3 course lunch option that was proving popular ... We couldn't get a table in the restaurant which was fully booked.
We ate in the bar but the choice was the same. I had the calamari as a starter - I had the same comment as a previous reviewer (slightly over cooked) but my salmon main was just right. My partner had the savoury pastry (very nice) followed by chocolate pud with chocolate sauce (more sauce would have been nice).
The staff were friendly and the service was quietly efficient. This is a lovely pub with good atmosphere and good food and drink, we are going to make it our local.

Visited December 2013
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hi ymoose

I am delighted you are going to make us your local, Welcome to Ashington :)

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal and service on your first visit with us.

The calamari issue has now been resolved with my kitchen team. I look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Adam & The Red Lion Team
London
“Highly recommend - good food, value and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Pleasantly surprised - lovely building with a bright and spacious interior. The food was very good, delivered in pretty good time considering it was a very busy lunchtime. It was good value and refreshingly had a very good level of service. Well worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Hi lovesadecentpub

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your visit to us on 11th December. Very pleased to hear you had very good food with us and you enjoyed the service you received. I will pass on your kind words to my team please visit www.bestvillagepubs.co.uk and fill in our short survey. Tell all your friends about us :)

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Adam Lovell
Southwater, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stopped here for drinkys a few times and always wanted to eat here but never got the chance. Popped in on the way from stenning last night (a Wednesday) service was brilliant, food was lovely. Serve lovely wine can't wait to come back

Hi Mrandmrseatoutalot

Thank you for taking the time to write us a great response on here. I am glad you had brilliant service, the food was lovely and i am glad to hear you can't wait to come back :) did you fill in our short survey? visit www.bestvillagepubs.co.uk and don't forget to quote your servers name.

We will see you very soon

Adam & the team
“Good pub, watch the cooking times”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife went for a meal at the Red Lion Ashington as a treat. Our waiter was extremely friendly and accommodating however you could see he was struggling due to lack of staff, due to this we were sometimes left waiting. The menu was fantastic with plenty to choose from and I went for calamari to start and Mediterranean quarter chicken as a main. Sadly my calamari was over cooked however it was nice to see the chef using the whole squid. My chicken was also over cooked and dry with the dish needing slightly more jus, lucky good old mayo came to the rescue. My wife was pleased with her beef and ale pie however was disappointed with over baked cookies. This restaurant has a lovely look and feel, the menu reads well, the staff are friendly however if I could make a recommendation it would be that the chef was slightly more carful there cooking times. I've been here several times in the past and will return in the future.

Dear Philip E

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Red Lion, I took over The Red Lion in April this year, waiting times and service speed has been my number one priority to ensure all our fresh food is delivered in around 20-25 minutes. I am sorry you felt as though you were left waiting at times. This issue has been looked at and has now been addressed. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your food and that you said the restaurant has a lovely look and feel to it.

Look forward to seeing you again on your next visit

Adam & The Team