“So warm and cosy. Great pub grub” 4 of 5 bubbles

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ashington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Red Lion - Pulborough offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
“So warm and cosy. Great pub grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful building with a warm cosy atmosphere.
Myself and Kelly visited the Red Lion on a business trip last week.
Service was good, food was good.
We had a tomato and pesto flatbread, very strange taste! Tasted sweet like pastry.
For main I had sticky butterfly chicken with chips and salad, nice taste, quite sickly. Good price though £9.
Kelly had an amazing puff pastry meat pie that was filled with meat and veg, but stood on its own without a bowl! Very tasty.
Very reasonably priced, lovely interior, great for everyone. Would definitely visit again!

uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Hi NCCB,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your visit. I would really like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us with your comments. I am glad to hear you enyoyed your visit and you recived great service. Did you fill in our short survey www.bestvillagepubs.co.uk ? if not please to.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

All the best

Adam Lovell

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Country pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Four of us had dinner here recently. The pub is dog friendly and has a welcoming atmosphere. The menu is varied and all the food we ordered was excellent. The service was also very good. The pub also has a good selection of draught beers.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi Richard W

Thank you for your positive feedback, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere, our menu and the good service my team delivered to you. We always welcome dogs into our pub, did you see the doggy treats I have on the bar for our four legged friends?

Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

All the best Adam & The Red Lion Team
Brighton
“A comfortable yet themed village pub with a difference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went to the Red Lion for an evening meal. The service was extremely attentive.
I tried the Gooseberry Collins.Very inventive. Being a fan of Sauvignon Blanc, i loved the flavour combination.However, I would have paid more for additional Gin as it was quite weak. A small issue.
The starter of Garlic bread and Duck pate were very average. The calimari was superb.
The slow roasted lamb was a delight, it came off bone wonderfully and had very robust flavours The duck breast and the Haddock and chips were also very good.The chips were infact excellent, almost as good as the famous Tom Kerridge chips in Marlow.
It was a special Thursday night menu.
I would certainly visit again and although I suspect The Red Lion was part of a pub chain there was a great effort to individualise the pub and restaurant. Great selection of beers and lagers.
Certainly would recomment the Red Lion.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AKR001
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hi AKR001,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the extremely attentive service you received. I am a fan of Sauvignon Blanc too, check out our new wine menu as we have a new addition available :)

I am glad you think our food was superb that is our aim at all times.

Thank you for recommending us. You are correct, The Red Lion is part of a chain managed by Mitchell's & Butlers. The individuality is how we aim to be to different from the other 39 businesses across the UK.

Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Angmering, null, United Kingdom
“Meetup venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The place i tend to go when meeting new people - old friends or family to break the ice.

The staff here are very friendly and the food and drink is of great value and taste. Personal favourite is the gammon egg chips and pineapple. Its simple but that's me lol Pleasant mexican themed pub - dunno what make me say that maybe the wood planks with paintings on and the sand dune orange walls and bronze bar maybe.

Deffo pop back for a visit soon.

• Visited February 2013
Hi Hayden S,

I am glad to hear you use The Red Lion as a meeting place with friends and family. It is our aim to deliver exceptional service, great food and drink for all of our guests. Im glad you like our famous Gammon egg & Chips. I am also delighted to know that you will be returning in the future.

All The Best
See you soon!

UK
“Well we liked it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We ate here twice in the same week for dinner as we were staying locally on a break. I am glad we didn't see the reviews first as with such a mix of opinions and experiences we would have been put off. We are very glad we didn't - our food was lovely, generous portions and the steaks cooked exactly as requested, they bent over backwards for my partner who has a dairy allergy showing her different menus and even the ingredients going into each dish.

The Harvey's was a well kept pint and tasted perfect, they obviously care about the beer as the second visit they explained they had only just laid the barrel down so avoid it as it may not have settled, most places wouldn't care and serve it anyway.

We found a table for 2 tucked away but it may not be so quiet when busy as some of the tables were very close to each other.

All in all, lovely food and very helpful and friendly staff, my suggestion is go and try it, hopefully the mixed bag of reviews here are just blips and the Red Lion will continue with the service and food we had.

• Visited September 2013
Hi Honkage

Thank you for you positive feedback I am happy to hear you were not put off by the negative comments on here. I am also glad you were not disappointed with the Food, Service and the Harvey's Sussex Bitter you were served. I will thank Heather personally as it is her job to ensure we serve the highest quality of Real Ale. See you again soon.