“Lunch time meal”

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ashington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Red Lion - Pulborough offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lunch time meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Never again! Food poor, service dreadful, waitress miserable!! The cutlery and crockery were dirty and the lemonade flat!! In a word, disgusting!

1 Thank Myrtle795

Ashington, United Kingdom
“gone to dogs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

sadly the red lion has deteriorated under new management. dined twice recently both occasions the service was poor,kept waiting for ages. the food very poor and not very hot.. As a local resident and previously a regular. i will not be frequenting the red lion in the near future, if ever.

• Visited August 2013
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi 555tonyg555

I am sorry you feel The Red Lion has deteriorated under new management and I are sorry you were kept waiting and have had poor service.

It has been my aim since I took over to improve service and waiting times, our aim is to get all main meals out of the kitchen around 20-25 minutes from ordering as we use fresh produce.

All our food is cooked fresh to order nothing is pre cooked as it is against health and safety regulations.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call myself to discuss further, as we would like to keep you as one of our locals.

Adam & The Red Lion Team
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Popped in Saturday on way back from airport, waiter very polite and attentive, I had the Pork belly which I must say rates amongst one of the tastiest meals I've eaten, the service was exceptional, my friends all had different main courses and all said how good mine looked, they all said we will return, can't fault the service or the food, just need to find an excuse to return, which won't be hard

• Visited August 2013
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi Dafnduk

Firstly please let me thank you for your feedback regarding our food and service.. I am glad you had a Fabulous time with us and exceptional service, please let us know who served you so i can thank the member of staff that looked after you on Saturday. We look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best,

Adam & The Team
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Sunday family gathering”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Six of us booked to have a meal on Sunday. There were four adults and two children aged 5 & 8 years. As the weather was good we asked if we could have an outside table. When going into the pub to order our drinks we noticed that there were only a few tables occupied inside. After ordering our meal - my daughter asked if the children's meals could be served with our starters as they were hungry. After about fifteen minutes our starters (flat bread & cheesy garlic bread) were served. We asked if the children's meals were on their way and they said that they were 'on the way'. In the meantime a couple arrived and sat on the table near to us, we were astonished that their meal was served to them ina very short time and we were still waiting for our children's meals. We asked the waiter again how much longer their meals would be - after a few minutes a guy in grubby jeans came over to us and said what was our problem - we explained the situation and said we arrived at 4.30pm and by then it was 6pm and all we had been served was flat bread - the children hadn't got their meals despite requesting them twice. He had a very bad attitude when we told him that we were not at all happy with the fact that other customers had been served their meals before us and that we were getting desperate as two of the people in our party had to get to London. He kept repeating 'what do you want me to do about it? '. We said we wanted a reduction on our bill as we considered that we had been forgotten - he admitted that some how, our order had been overlooked. We eventually got our meals which were very disappointing - the chicken in the children's burger was so tough it couldn't be eaten. We have eaten at this restaurant on several occasions and never had cause to complain but this experience left us feeling that we would not return as the attitude of the staff was very indifferent - perhaps the 'manager' who spoke to us should undergo some customer service training!

1 Thank christine l
uklovell, General Manager at Red Lion, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear christine

I am very sorry to hear you had a very unpleasant experience on Sunday evening considering you have visited several times and not felt the need to complain. I am also sorry you felt as though the management on duty were not very helpful and understanding with your situation I hope this does not stop you from returning.

Please feel free to call me the General Manager so we can discuss this further on 01903 892523. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

All The Best

Adam & The Team
Horsham
“More 'good' than 'average'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Inviting decor, setting.
Service / attitude of staff, mixed, though in fairness the majority I would rate as good.
Very quaffable french rose wine.
My friend really enjoyed her goats cheese salad. 2 of us had the home made burger with varying additional toppings - very tasty, though the burger was slightly over cooked. Good chips accompanied it and with a nice relish. Enjoyed the cheese board after - nice selection.
Appealing venue for a get together with friends - will give here another go.

Hi RuralGilly

Firstly please let me thank you for your positive feedback regarding the food you had. I believe the issue with the burgers is that they are char grilled and it does not state this on our menu, this is something we will look into to improve. We are glad you will be returning to us again.

All the best