“Hotel was average and once they have your money, no customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Marion Hotel

Marion Hotel
Melbourne, Australia
“Hotel was average and once they have your money, no customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed two nights and found the place to be average. The sign at reception says free wifi Internet but there's no Internet to be found unless you hang around the lobby. The following is a letter that I sent to them after my stay there. It pretty much sums up the experience.

Well, thanks for nothing! I stayed at your hotel for 2 nights and paid cash (saving you the VISA fee) and unfortunately left a book behind that my wife gave me for my birthday. It turns out that this book is worth around $30. I called your reception and was told that it was there but it seemed that it was going to be a hassle and the "boss may not be happy about somebody having to go to the post office". Really? I just got the card in the mail today that it was sent COD with a $21 pick up fee! This book would have cost no more than $5 for you to send which is around the fee that I saved you by paying cash. I could have given you this $5 with my VISA card over the phone By the way, I worked it out that the book was left there on my first nights stay and not mentioned to me when I booked later on for the second night. Again, thanks for nothing!
Ivan

There you have it, where has the service gone these days? $200 worth of business and no customer service for it. My ne t stay in Adelaide will not be at the Marion. There are other places for around the same price with excellent service...try Hotel Minima in North Adelaide.

Room Tip: No Internet whatever room you get even though they claim that it's there. Bathroom somewhat outd...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Maplegum
Jenny H, Owner at Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will follow up re the WiFi. We are definitely not a 5 star property and I think our price reflects that. Our rooms were recently renovated although I admit our bathrooms are very clean and functional but dated - but did you find the bed comfortable?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed at this place for 1 night on our way to Adelaide airport. Easy 20 minutes drive. Rooms are upstairs with no lift; pretty basic. Bed was comfy and room was clean, but bathroom was pretty small. Also, it was a bit noisy as rooms are above bar and bistro. Free Wi-Fi. Our only complaint is regards the payment: we booked this hotel via booking.com and although you provide your credit card details for pre authorization, you don’t expect the hotel to deduct the full amount in advance on the day of the booking; rather on your check in or check out! Be aware!

Room Tip: Be awrae that payment is on your booking day!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hershie
Jenny H, Owner at Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review - we are aware of an error made with your payment and ensure it doesn't happen - we know we are not 5 star but we aim to give 5 star service!!
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We recently stayed at this Hotel after a flight from Darwin. It is a very big and well presented hotel with only a few, maybe 12, rooms upstairs. Facilities were good and the free parking was the big attraction. We had a very comfortable stay and would recommend it to others. However, if you're not good on stairs or need a place closer to the CBD, it might not be for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paknasi
JRH2010, Owner at Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for your review - we are very happy that we decided to renovate our rooms - whilst there are only 12 rooms and they are not huge! - accommodation is in short supply in the area and we are only 11km from the City - 10km from the Airport and just 30km from McLaren Vale and the wonderful vineyards and beaches of the Fleurieu Peninsular
Bertram
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

This hotel has got it ALL right! Not many rooms (12) , all upstairs, well appointed even though they appear quite small, but WOW they are very clean, very QUIET, and the service is EXEMPLARY! As stated in their advertising 15-20 mins from city and airport with ample onsire parking. See you next time. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CRJADrew
Ferntree Gully, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights in November 2011, I thought I would write a review mainly because I could not get much information about this place.
I chose to stay here , to be close to family,and we very much enjoyed our stay. The hotel has recently updated their rooms, there are only about 12, and all are upstairs.
Our room , even tho quite small, was perfectly clean, and had everything anyone could need.
Sure it is not a 5 star resort, but it is a nice hotel for meals and entertainment. The staff were so friendly and very helpful.The new beds and bedding very comfortable!
My family lives in Adelaide and we found it so easy for everyone to come and visit us for meals or drinks,so well done The Marion Hotel!!
Thankyou Marilyn.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank marilynjoy
JRH2010, Owner at Marion Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are very pleased we were able to make these rooms so much more comfortable. Our staff at the hotel are very proud of the rooms and attention to detail and cleanliness is top of mind for them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mitchell Park
Atlantic Tower Motor Inn
Tonsley Hotel Motel
Tonsley Hotel Motel
#1 of 1 in Clovelly Park

Been to Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!