“Great way to get to Sicily”
Review of Virtu Ferries

Virtu Ferries
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Marsa
More attraction details
Owner description: Virtu Ferries, operates a scheduled High Speed Car/Passenger Ferry Service between Malta and Sicily. With a crossing time of 90 minutes to Pozzallo this daily, year-round, day return, service has eliminated the geographic divide between Malta and main land Europe, making Malta truly part of the European Market.
Torrevieja, Spain
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Great way to get to Sicily”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went on the catamaran from Sliema over to Sicily it took 1.5 hours.The crossing goes very quick as they show a film and there are lots of screens around the ferry and the seats are very comfortable. The food and drinks you can buy on board are very reasonably priced. The ferry is only 2 years old so everything is in good condition.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank 123doreen

Island of Malta, Malta
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Modica, Sicily”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I visited Modica as part of a day tour to Sicily organised by the Virtu Ferries, Malta. We spent a short time in Modica but we felt very welcome by the locals and the atmosphere. There are two beautiful churches. We only visited one of them, which is on the main road and it was pretty. However, the other church is high up on a hill and to access it one has to go up approx 250 steps which are quite steep. Moreover, we were there around 5 pm and the guide told us she was not sure the church would be open at that time. So we spared our legs and went to the shops instead. One of the best shops there is sells delicious chocolates and liquors. There are samples of all the items on sale and one can taste to his heart's content. Of course, we came out with three bags full of chocolate and liquor to take home. Another shop nearby sells a variety of cheese, also with sampling possible, so we also bought cheese. Of course there are other shops with cakes and coffee and restaurants as well. Next time, we must allow more time for our visit to Modica.

Visited August 2012
newcastle upon tyne
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“Excellent efficient, clean comfortable service”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Couldn't speak more highly of our trip from Malta to Sicily, with a trip to Mt Etna thrown in.
The whole process is highly efficient and the boats are clean and very comfortable-lovely large padded seats that you can snooze in and decent value varied catering on board. Immaculate toilets too which was a huge surprise-think upmarket hotel. The loading and unloading process is very swift and you can go disembark within 5 minutes of the boat docking with minimal fuss.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank drewedmin999
Chicago, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 293 helpful votes
“Easy way to get between Malta and Sicily”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

So we decided to go on an adventure and we jumped on a Virtu Ferry from Sicily to Malta. How cool is that?

I went on-line and bought tickets and then I had to find a family relative that actually had a printer where I could print the tickets out. All of these things we take for granted in the United States. iI am so happy I did screen grabs of my tickets and put them on a flash drive or else I would have never gotten my tickets printed out. And I am glad I did because they used our screen grab tickets as our official tickets to get on the Ferry. Talk about being Green!

We were told to get to the dock an hour before departure and we got to see this massive ferry pull into the port. This was not your Uncle's Ferry...this thing was massive...it was like a small cruise ship. I stood there watching cars and semi trucks coming off of the boat. Wow!!!

The boat was not very crowded...we bought 2nd class tickets which were not Titanic 2nd class...the seats were nice leather and there was air conditioning. The Ferry had food, drinks and a casino. Really a Casino? A couple of guys were trying to hit it rich.

As we left the Port of Pozzallo (Sicily) we were on our way across the water to the island of Malta. It took about 90 minutes to get there and the water was so calm. We could not feel any movement on the boat at all. The trip was fun...we had some food packed and I started reading a Malta Newspaper that a previous traveler had left at my seat. Malta rocks because they speak english...I had no idea that they did...this is going to be easy.

As we pulled into Valletta, Malta we were greeted by massive forts, boats and ships all around. It was an amazing sight to see. Then as I was standing on the front of the boat a sea plane flew right over my head and then landed in front of us. I felt like I was in an Indian Jones movie and that I was after some lost treasure and Indy was on that plane. I wanted to pump my fist in the air and say, "I will get you Indy!" but decided not too because my fellow foreign travelers might find that weird.

Once we were docked it was now time to find our taxi...we had arranged for a car to pick us up at the dock but with no cell phone we had no idea if anyone would be there for us. And then there was this great guy George holding a sign with my name on it. We were the last ones off the ship...traveling with kids will teach you not to rush out with the crowds. I am so glad we had a car because there was nothing around here but industry. If this was the Amazing Race someone would have stolen our taxi.

Words of Warning: On our return trip to Pozzallo, the Ferry left 30 minutes early...we got to the boat 2 hours early because we were worried about traffic on a Friday...note to self...there is no traffic here on a Friday! We got there in about 15 minutes. I was so happy to be sitting on the boat as it left early and thinking about those sad souls who were cursing at the Ferry as it pulled away from the dock. I think I heard someone say, "I'll get you Indiana Jones!" Hey guy on the dock that was my line!!!

Visited July 2011
196 Thank Antkneee
Monterey, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great way to travel to Malta from Sicily”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We took the Virtu Ferry to Malta from Sicily and back, it was very easy to book via their website. The boat carries cars and trucks to/from Malta, so it was easy to book online a few days early, the company e-mailed me .PDF version tickets that I printed out for the to/from journey, and we were able to get checked in rapidly before the ticket office even openned at the pier. The ferry does rock around if the weather is poor, so consider this, but the crew is very helpful in this regard. Onboard the ferry there is a gift shop and snack stand. There is also WiFi (5 euro for 2 hours), but it can only be used when in port, you have to board 2 or so hours early any way if you have a car, so it could help you kill some time. The trip generally take 1.5 hours and they were quite efficient at getting vehicles on/off the ferry.

Visited April 2012