“Wow. A real treat ”
Review of Coffee Museum

Coffee Museum
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Ciales
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

While we had a hard time finding it the experience was a real treat.

The easiest way to find it is to google Museo Biblioteca del Cafe, Calle Palmer Cabalines, Ciales, Puerto Rico. As you drive into the town of Ciales the roads narrow considerably and it gets quite congested with cars. Also the Google maps directions take you up what seems to be sketchy side streets. Finally the museum is just one storefront that blends in with the rest of the block. Once you are close find the first available parking space and then ask for directions.

As mentioned in the other reviews the museum hosts were extremely helpful and knowledgeable on explaining how coffee beans were graded and chosen for coffee.

Of course the best part was drinking the exquisite coffee, which was complementary. Again while it wasn't obvious the second best part was the opportunity to purchase premium Puerto Rican coffee beans ($25/lb).

We combined this visit to the Coffee Museum with a trip to the caves at el coayuco la cueva del Indio near Arecibo. A great day trip from San Juan.

1  Thank ChooChoo4427

Reviewed February 6, 2014

The Museo del Café in Ciales, Puerto Rico, was a highlight of my recent trip. This eclectic and charming establishment served a great cup and collected the history of coffee of the island. I had an incredible learning experience discussing various coffee taste profiles and roasting techniques with owner Pedro Maldonado, a legendary, warm and engaging host. The establishment has a lot of things going for it at different levels, like roasting and expressing up top, historical exhibits in the middle and finally, a wonderful coffee lab below, where attributes of coffee are explained and explored. Every single person I met was passionate about their relationship with coffee, whether barista, roaster or drinker. We intended to stop in for about 30 minutes and had to drag ourselves away 1 and a half hours later because I was going to miss my plane. If you are ever close to Ciales, Puerto Rico, you should not miss it.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We visited this place last weekend. We were welcomed with a complimentary coffee, as first visitors. The coffee was excellent, so we couldn't resist to buy another cup, as flavourful as the first one. No doubt, Puerto Rico still produces among the best coffees in the world. There is a very interesting exhibition of machines, artifacts, documents, dinnerware and coffee information, including an impressive lab for testing taste, aroma, color and all coffee matters. I'm sharing some photos. Of course you can buy there coffee from a selection of regional coffee growers, in whole beans or grind. This place is a must visit for any coffee lover with a great spice of history of what used to be this industry for Puerto Rico. We are planning our next visit along with the rest of the family, very soon. It was Sunday and we arrived there minutes after ten in the morning, so it was easy to park along the narrow street near the Museum. Thanks to Mr. Pedro Maldonado for the coffee and for such an interesting place to visit.

1  Thank puertorrosoy
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After so many years of absence, last week I visited this attraction so familiar to me. Growing up, so many years ago, I used to play there with the owners kids. I was amazed of the excellent work performed by Mr. Pedro (Pichi) Maldonado in conservation of the coffe industry machinery of the earlier part of last century as well as older pieces. The lay out of the facilities preserve what I recall was the "torrefacción de café" (coffe manufacturing plant) and Mr. Maldonado has kept up with all modern trends and knowledge relating coffe, products to brew, tastings of different varieties, classes and selling of fresh coffe to be enjoyed at home. Worth a visit, a cup of fresh brewed and surely I will return and look forward to plans for expansion to be concluded. Friendly tip: buy two or three pounds of different coffees to experiment at home.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

A good time for the whole family. The museum it self is small and cozy (not very pretentious), but its full of interesting artifacts and documents from the time when coffee was an important export for the island. You must try the coffee, each visitor may have a free cup, compliments of the house. I recommend taking some home with you, the prices are good for the quality of the product. If you are lucky and the owner, Pichi, is there when you visit ask him anything and everything you ever wanted to know about coffee. The guy is a walking encyclopedia in all things coffee related.

7  Thank cuad2k