“As good as it gets”

Hotel Delfin Playa Bejuco
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Playa Bejuco
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We retired to the Mountains of Costa Rica 4 years ago. We go to the beach a couple times a month, and have seen most of the beaches of the country. We stumbled across the delfin last weekend. We checked in for 1 night and stayed 3. The place is as close to perfect as you can get in this country. I thought it was a new hotel, turned out to be 35 years old, and the American owners had done a total renovation to the place. The grounds, pool, and hotel were spotless. The most beautiful bar and best cocktails I have found anywhere in the country. Ed the owner drew us maps and sent us on local excursions, and knows more about the country than anyone I have met here. He even sent us home a new way that we didn't know about. The food was awesome as he has an American and local chef. The beach itself was soft sand, and the cleanest we have found. We were told the currents were strong, and the hotel loaned us boogie boards. The staff was super friendly, everyone that worked there seemed happy. This is our new favorite place, and is where we will take all our friends and family that visit us here. For Costa Rica, this place is as good as it gets!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are directly on the beach
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Micky M
There are newer reviews for Hotel Delfin Playa Bejuco

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We had three rooms on a family vacation, two sets of grandparents and two couples with kids 3,5 and 10 yrs old.
The rooms were adequate, although the bathroom was very cramped.
Dinners were excellent- thanks to Tony. We all wanted fish the second night, and Tony made an early morning trip for us to the local suppliers to cook up an excellent Pargo (snapper) dinner with a choice of excellent sauces. An upbeat chef that was in his element in the kitchen, the food was great.
The pool was very nice, much fun for the kiddos, and large enough to swim short laps in.
A huge beach great for sea shell hunting, and the rooms all look over the ocean for amazing sunsets. The ocean is not safe for swimming due to rip currents, but this is fairly common all along the Pacific Coast.
We were the only ones there, and the staff were not especially helpful or pleasant- had to ask to have pool lights turned on even though the bartender/helper (Miner) was right there. But I think they just are not service oriented and did not appear rude, just not used to looking out for the guests. Miner excelled at making fresh fruit based drinks.
The owner was there for one night and a morning- helped with the bags and greeted us on arrival, and had some good tips on getting through the tourist trap on Manuel Antonio National Park, which we felt to be overrated and was the low point of our three week trip in Costa Rica.

Loved the interior, the grand staircase and lofty ceiling had a nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for the views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank akwild
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I recently stayed one night here with my Costa Rican girlfriend. We ordered two bowls of seafood soup. MISTAKE. It was what my girlfriend called sopa de agua, (water soup). We complained and only had to pay for one bowl of this so-called "soup". We were going to stay another night until we were told that their restaurant was closed and we were told to "find someplace else to eat". We checked out. Later, the Delfin Beachfront Resort tried to steal $75.00 from Bank of America on a blank voucher I had signed. Bank of America is well aware that I never pay for hotels with my VISA card and so relieved them of my money. Also there were fleas infesting the room. Never again....
Jim Agnos

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank costaricajim
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I recently stayed at the Delfin and found a new group of friends there and a home away from home. The location is immaculate, the staff is friendly and accommodating, the pristine sandy beach is laced with beautiful seashells. My room overlooked the south facing beach, which allowed my wife and I to see the exotic sunrise and sunset. The Costa Rican style cuisine is wonderful. The hotel grounds are well kept and full of life. All in all I give the Delfin an A+.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I advise anybody reading this to NOT go to this hotel or restaurant. We went only for dinner and it was a joke. The owner sat at the bar the whole time with his friends - no welcome by him or anybody else for that matter. I have never been to an establishment where the owner was totally uninterested in his guests - as this guy was. not even a "thank you" or a "good bye". The bartender tried (somewhat) but was too busy making drinks for and chatting with the owner and girlfriend and friends that the service was very slow and unfriendly. They had no soap or towels for drying hands in the ladies bathroom. The beer was not cold and the bartender said that is just the way it is. I recommended putting it in a n ice bucket to get it colder and he said he was not allowed to do that. On the positive side, the fish was prepared well but served with mashed potatoes instead of rice - not a good pairing. Also, the bill was almost $45 dollars for two (this is the new Costa Rica). I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel (and glad I did not) - only ate at the restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank GrahamBlaikie
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I was hesitant to write this review as I usually see little upside in saying negative things about a place, but our stay was so horrible that I do not wish anyone to waste their time and money at this "resort."
Simply put, it was unwelcoming, dirty, and rundown. It looked like it had a remodel 10 years or so ago but it is falling apart including sheets with holes in them, broken plastic pool furniture, broken tiles in pool where my son cut his leg, and a very unwelcoming owner and staff. Only welcoming people was the bartender and assistant cook. The checked out owner sat with his feet up at the bar and never once said hello but we all had to listen to his rants about politics, people, etc. Staff was rude too and charged us extra for each child although they did nothing extra and breakfast that was included was only a pancake and coffee. Other thoughts include no matress pads on beds, really bad beds, and no water pressure (at all!) at times.
Beach is totally unsafe, even for strong swimmers and surfers. Look up Playa Bejeco drownings and you will see the trend.
We stayed at all levels of lodging in our extended stay and this was by far the worst days of the trip. Hostels could provide a better experience.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank costawanderer
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This hotel......can make your entire trip. The space itself is simple....which is all that is really required because its placement in the universe places it into one of the most amazing places on earth (for me). Extremely inviting...the Delphn is set right on the Pacific Ocean....with not another hotel on the beach for about 3 miles on each side of it. it is almost as if....the beaches are there just for you. Every room (15 in total) has a private balcony....that overlooks the beach. It is very private...and very comfortable. The rooms are extremely clean...and simple with a host that will knock your socks off. Eddie will get as involved or stay as ghostly as you want him to be with your stay. He has amazing recommendations for activities...restaurants....and must see's, and his own bar & restaurant is outstanding....filled with different characters each night. The Bar, restaurant & lobby...is open air. The bar itself straddles the inside and an outside portion which is set on the poos side of the hotel. Though there is not on site activities other than...THE BEACH and THE POOL.....Eddie will book you massages...facials....manicures....right in your room.....for very reasonable fees.

This place is by far my most pleasurable travel experience yet. Thank you Delphin!!!! May you prosper.....and also stay a secret at the same time!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Clandestino Beach Resort
Beso del Viento
Beso del Viento
#1 of 4 in Parrita

Been to Hotel Delfin Playa Bejuco? Share your experiences!