“Bad Service”

Costa Pacifica
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baler
“Bad Service”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The availability of a room in Costa Pacifica took us 2 months waiting time. We booked our hotel in March and got reservation for May. Hence, it was a horrible 2 months.

I had to make several follow ups via email and mobile phone just to ask for the confirmation letter after sending the details of my credit card guarantee. Not to mention that customer needs to be irrate just to make things done.

Since I was travelling with my dogs, I called the hotel to reconfirm the policy they have posted in their site. Fortunately, receptionit confirmed that therenis no need of any Medical Certificate. And since I have a bad experience getting a confirmation letter, I insisted hotel to email me of such advise just to ensure I would not encounter any problems with them. Again, before I got the said email confirmation, the need to get mad was exercised.

Not only that, hotel emailed me days before our arrival to confirm the no. of people coming and staying inside the room. So, I responded immediately and requested if we could check in early since I am travelling with a senior citizen and 2 other members of the family. When we got tot the hotel, receptionist told me that earliest time to check in is at 12nn. I contested and explained that I have a certain request to this person. They checked again and found we really had a room for it (this only shows that peolle in this hotel lack standard coordination). Finally, they gave the wash area room to our family. From 7am to 1030am, room has no electricity even if my sister has advised them of the said situation. So, by 10am I called again the reception and had to get mad about the situation. Then, they fixed it. This happened to us twice since there is a power disruption in Baler.

The whole experience from this trip would have been different if only a good service was given. The tourist spots are great. The hotel is nice...amenities are well in placed. The hotel food is great. Rooms are spacious and clean. But, all these things are nothing if a standard service of a good hotel is not implemented.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Minnie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
manila
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2d 1n in a junior suite, which includes a breakfast buffet. Breakfast food is good. We even had our lunch and dinner in the resto and everything we ordered was good. There is a nice pool in the hotel but limited beach towels is available to be borrowed. Potable water is available in the pool area. Overall the resort is good and clean. Unfortunately their service is very poor. They are difficult to contact when confirming our reservation and prior requests, gives wrong information, very slow in all of our inquiries and a lot of technical problems in our room. No electricity no aircon and during brownout other rooms have aircon and lights while our room has none. Need to call the reception to have our aircon be opened and lights to be on.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mricafrente
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Our entire family usually takes summer vacations in Cebu or Boracay. But this year, we decided to try Costa Pacifica in Baler, Aurora after seeing the feature on TV. We were very pleased, in fact we've tagged it as the best-weekend-ever. Long weekend that is. It was a 3 days 2 nights stay and it totally did not disappoint. There were a few minor kinks but the pros outweigh the cons. This is going to be quite lengthy but please bear with me :) It will be worth the read :)

We were a large group and booked 9 rooms. My family took the Junior Premier and here's our take on this room.
+ Spacious, clean and natural light filled the room
+ Coffee makee with special Aurora coffee blend, sugar & creamer. It wasn't the best coffee i've tasted but better than 3-in-1
+ Super comfy beds. It had two twin beds and a couch that was almost the size of a single bed which was comfortable to sleep in as well
+ Complete toiletries, including dental floss
+ Split-type aircon w/ remote
+ Mini-refrigerator
+ Spacious balcony w/ drying rack that hit the morning sun
+ Spacious bathroom w/ the afternoon sun shining on the towel rack
+ Two sets of rubber slippers
- Tiny ants although just a few on the desk near coffee maker
- No door separating the sink and bathroom
- No hairdryer but you can request it through housekeeping (+good service though.. I requested that they send me a hairdryer the morning after & they sent it right on time the next day)
- No plastic bags or ecobags to put dirty laundry in
- No wifi signal in the rooms. Just use your phone's hotspot, although that too was a bit intermittent at times because of weak 3G/LTE signal.

Not so good experience with my relatives though who took the Casitas (rooms in the old bldg across Costa Pacifica main resort). There were rooms where the aircon wasn't working right. Bathroom too small & no space for toiletries. So better stretch your budget and get the Junior Suite, Premier or the Pacifica Suite. It will be well worth your money.

We were much pleased with the food quality at the Beach House. The menu consisted of Filipino cuisine, and some American & Italian.
+ Loved their pizzas
+ The dinner buffet was worth it
+ There's a small aircon room in the dining area but the non-aircon parts were okay since the resto is well-ventilated with natural air
+ Price range is Php 350 up, so be prepared to spend Php1,200 up for a group of 4.
- Service was a bit slow but not to the point of annoyance.
- They dont serve ala carte for breakfast. You'd have to take the buffet at Php 550+
- They ran out of ice twice in the afternoon but it wasn't such a big issue for us.
- Slow internet connection

The resort had a huge pool which was around 5 feet and a separate kiddie pool near some of the Pacific Suites. They also have a bonfire area and a few huts. Wish they had more shaded areas or umbrellas though so you'll have more areas to relax in. There's a kiosk where you can get lemon or cucumber water (refreshing!) by the pool. Night swimming until 11pm. Costa Pacifica would have to figure out what to do with their towels though because they would always run out especially in the afternoon. That's actually the only annoying thing we've experienced so far.

The beach was not Boracay fine white sand, but was a bit brownish/greyish. Surfing lessons were easy to book but just to be safe book a day in advance. We took lessons for almost 20 people and we were all accommodated. You have to try surfing! It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. My teens and the whole family enjoyed it! A bit of caveat though because there are a few jellyfishes. I actually got stung but Costa Pacifica has an on-call nurse 24hrs so that really helped.

Just a couple of more tips.
> Bring stuff to munch on like chips, cookies especially if you have kids, or noodles, sandwiches if you'd like to save on food costs. Bring your own big bottle of water for convenience, although they give complimentary two small bottled water daily.
> You can enjoy a couple of drinks in your own balcony. We brought a bottle of scotch whisky.
> Bring your own beach towel in case they run out at the poolside
> Leave your valuables when you go to the beach as there non-resort guests in Sabang beach. Not unless you have a yaya who can watch your belongings.
> Bring an underwater or waterproof camera
> Wear rashguard or wetsuit while surfing to avoid getting stung by a jellyfish
> Eat at the nearby restaurants beside Costa Pacifica to save on costs, but be prepared to wait an hour for food to be served.
> Load movies in your ipad since the cable tv doesnt work when the resort is running on generator. There are brownouts scheduled in the island.
> There are activities for your little ones. Just ask the front desk.

Overall the vibe in the resort is "fun & relaxation all rolled into one". If there's one thing that would hold us back from returning, it would be the long ride (approx 5-6hrs from Manila) and the rough roads, zigzags and sharp curves. But nevertheless, this still outweighs the excitement we feel everytime we'd think of coming back.

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank KerriganT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My Family and I stayed in Costa Pacifica for 4 days. I booked 3 rooms, all has sea view which were fantastic, of 18 of us which i found quite reasonable.The staff are very friendly, the receptionist are very attentive though there were so busy. The pool is perfect for children and not so children alike. The restaurant offers delicious food and drinks. I love the breakfast buffet which is included in the room fee. Costa Pacifica has a fantastic location and nice view. This is worth visiting though I didn't knew what to expect.

Room Tip: Choose a room which has sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank leojmeduk
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect as I've only heard that this hotel is new and definitely worth checking out. My friend has asked me to go with them one time but I wasn't able to go. As I was curious about Baler and Costa Pacifica, I made the choice to splurge a little and try. And so having just come back from my trip, all I could say is I did not regret choosing this place. I have inquired in other hotels prior to booking at Costa Pacifica, but having seen them while we were out there, I am so glad I made the right choice.

Because the main hotel of Costa Pacifica was already fully-booked the time I made our reservation, we were assigned to stay at Casa de Bahia - a hotel behind the main hotel. From our hotel room, we could see the main entrance of the hotel and a peek of the seaview.

Despite the hotel room interior's simplicity, the overall ambiance was charming and pretty. It has a minimalist design that kind of gives the guest a more relaxing atmosphere. The bathroom was kind of small but its modern look made up for it.

Their breakfast was something I looked forward to every morning. They were very creative when it comes to serving dishes and since we were there for 2 nights, I got to see what they served each morning. There are staples, but there are other dishes that differ as well. I enjoyed them.

Because of our all-day tours, I missed the chance of dipping in their jacuzzi pool. I would have loved to relax after a long day of roughing it but I only remember about the pool when I'm already done washing up.

I would have to say that Costa Pacifica is the place to be when you're in Baler. They provide a nice laid-back ambiance which is perfect after a whole day of trekking, hiking and/or swimming. It would definitely relax you and make you feel ready to unwind for the night so you'd be all ready to get up and do the tours again the next day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ayee B
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We got the room facing the ocean. The sound of the waves and the surfers in view made me appreciate the beauty of nature Our stay was last February 2014. During that month, the sea breeze was unexpectedly cool and refreshing to the skin. The front desk staff were very helpful. They can provide you transportation to go around Baler. There were many surf instructors around the area. The instructor provides the surfing board, for a very minimal cost of about 8 to 10 dollar an hour all in. Great place to learn surfing and enjoy summer. I certainly will come back to this place.

Room Tip: get the room facing the ocean
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank chappy69
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Very spacious hotel. Rooms are great especially the one we had facing pools and beach.
Advertised WIFI anywhere in resort not available, only limited to restaurant.
Beach access difficult steps high. this is a public beach jn front of hotel which is a bit strange for this class of resort. No towels allowed to be taken to beach.
Restaurant staff not trained to standard.
Bar closes at 22.30 should be open at least to midnight.
When arriving at hotel somehow its confusing, no greeting or wellcome drink.
only one key card given unless asked for second.

Room Tip: Pool side suites are very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baler
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Cabanatuan
#8 of 31 in Baler
Baler Sunrise Inn
Baler Sunrise Inn
#23 of 31 in Baler

Been to Costa Pacifica? Share your experiences!