Baler Fiore Del Mare(Baler)(Great Value!)
$56
  • Beachfront
Balai Inn(Baler)
All reviewskind staffpako saladpizzaaccommodationfurniture
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Bay's Inn has very affordable rooms. Do not get a room near the Restaurant as it tends to get noisy. Rooms are small, bed is not too comfortable but at their low price it is acceptable. Food at the restaurant is good. Staff are friendly. Food might take time to be served at their restaurant so order ahead.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank KingRegis
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Bay's Inn is the best place to eat in Baler. But that information comes with a price. Be sure to order ahead (especially during peak season) or be prepared to possibly wait for hours for your food to arrive. I'm not exaggerating. You can indeed wait for hours. But the food is good so I come back anyway.

I stayed in Bay's Inn once during a solo trip and I made the mistake of choosing the room with a "patio" right outside on the ground floor. It seems that at night, the staff and some of the guests hang out at the patio. And they don't care if you're asleep or not. I was kept awake by laughter, playful shouts and loud talking. There was even running. I didn't want to seem difficult so I let it pass. However, I checked out the next day and moved elsewhere. I did inform the girl at the check-out why I was leaving early. Maybe they've solved this problem.

But I think I just picked the wrong room. Despite that incident, I'd probably stay here again (if my first two choices were fully booked). The room is clean and for the price, it is definitely worth it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor tend to be noisy because it's near the restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank croces
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed at Bay's in for three days. The staff were friendly and nice. Good view. The place is close to the beach. I mean really close.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank mitzlom182
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Spend a week's vacation in Baler last year with a friend to have some surfing experience, and as what i usually practice, i go into these smaller residential houses providing transient services because most of the lodge/Inn are fully booked. On the 2nd day since we arrived, we decided to try having lunch at Bay's Inn. My friend ordered pancit canton while i decided to try their local version of Kinilaw na Yellow Fin Tuna (Yellow fin tuna cooked in vinegar and spices)...it took almost an hour before our food was served, it is very hard to get the attention of waiters when you want to order because they don't pay much attention to their customers. When we paid our bill, i choose to go to the cashier to pay to save time, with that it took them almost 15minutes to finish computing my bill because they're busy chit chatting with each other. Food was ok but service needs a lot of improvement in this restaurant.

Room Tip: Perhaps making a reservation and advance order will work with the kind of service they have on their restaurant in case you want to try eating on this place.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank MilesExplorer
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My family and I stayed at Bay's Inn, which is on Sabang Beach, in Baler. Sabang, a long sweep of a beach, is where the napalm-in-the-morning scene of Apocalypse Now was shot, at least that's the local lore. And from the look of the beach, that's a believable claim. We headed to Baler to surf—my two nieces are surfers and my daughter and I wanted to learn. Sabang Beach has a great, laid-back surfer vibe. Most of the surfers when we were there were locals, so the surfing had nothing to do with fancy equipment or brand-name clothes. And for some mysterious reason, the surfers congregated at Bay's Inn. Why? We never found out. Bays Inn also seems a good place for townspeople to gather. Our last night, there was a party, and the courtyard rumbled continually as guests arrived on motorbikes as well as pickups.

Bay's Inn is run-down. At some rooms we peeked at, the bathroom cabinets had rotting wood. We had room 15, which had air conditioning AND hot shower. Plus, it was right by the front desk, so we could get Wi-Fi in our room. Otherwise, you'd have hang out by the front desk to check e-mail or surf the Internet. Food was just simple,Filipino fare, but at $2 a meal, I was happy. They offered brewed coffee. Our $35 a night room (two queen beds) came with free breakfast for the four of us.

The infrastructure was much better next door at a new resort called Bayler, and the food and room prices were similar. Further down the beach was Aliya, a beautifully sited resort, almost Japanese-like aesthetic to its dining area, simple rooms, surfer vibe, and similar prices. Aliya, though, had the most passive staff. The waiter said he couldn't offer us brewed coffee because the coffee had run out and they wouldn't be making more till the next day. Say what?

But back to Bay's Inn: What I like about it was that it was a surfer hangout. It was fun watching people surf and seeing how the audience reacted. Surf lessons were 350 pesos an hour (including board) plus free bottled water, but we bargained that down to 300. The instructors earned every peso. Its terrace overlooks the beach, and it's lulling to sit there and watch the waves. Bayler has no lounge chairs; you sit on plastic chairs. It has a 24-hour kitchen, an unexpected perk when we left to catch the 4:30 a.m. Genesis bus to Manila: We still got our free breakfast (ordered the night before and served at 3:30). The terrace faces the Pacific, and it gets very windy at night, so the staff brings down the shades. Too bad. Sneak around the tarp and look up. The stars are abundant and glorious.

We took the regular, air-conditioned Genesis bus from Manila (under 400 pesos), and it took us 7 hours to reach Baler, even though we started off at 1:30 in the morning. The bus had tons of stops. Returning, we upgraded to Genesis's Joy bus, which had enormous plump seats, free water, bathroom, and a bus attendant in high heels. It's a direct trip, and we got there in under 6 hours.

I loved this vacation. It was laid-back and quirky, and I got to stand on the board. If I were to go back, I would stay at Bayler or Aliya, and probably hang out at Bay's Inn terrace. If only they could get Wi-Fi to reach there.

Room Tip: Room 15 had air conditioner AND hot shower. Plus it's right by the front desk, so you can get Wi-Fi in your room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family