“Lovely views and good beer but food is limited”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Amberley
Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A beautiful cotswold pub, with incredible views across the Nailsworth Valley. Great selection of drinks and a locally sourced freshly produced menu.
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Lovely views and good beer but food is limited”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

You can't better the views from this pub and it is a good stop off when walking on the local commons as it has a large beer garden. However, the food is overpriced and limted in range. At weekends it becomes the haunt of a lot of local young people so can be quite lively.

Deux-Sevres, France
“Food ok, service desperately slow”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I've eaten here a number of times over the years. The best part of the Black Horse is definitely the view - spectacular. Food is reasonably priced, but not memorable or very special. Service is very variable, with mistakes, and on my last visit we waited 40 minutes from ordering to eating, even though there were not many people in the pub. Shame as could be great.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank potterer8
Cotswolds
“Good views and local brews but not so good food!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Used to be good , had a couple of really bad meals at inflated prices...in 2009 when they changed from the great pub meals they used to do. Good range of beers etc and great views .... shame about the food!

“Much better”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Following a visit the week before, we were invited back and what a difference a week makes. the food was gorgeous and the service was brilliant. We left with big smiles on our faces and full stomachs.

• Visited November 2011
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Worst place I have ever been! Don't go!”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

After hearing some positive things about the Black Horse, I turned up with a friend in the hope of a bite to eat! On arrival, I waited for nearly 15 minutes to get served for a glass of wine. I was then told they had sold out of the two types of wine I wanted which was very disappointing as a friend had recommended which wines to try. When I finally got some wine, I was then told the kitchen had closed (at 1pm!) due to being too busy despite being assured on the phone that there would definitely be space for us to eat! The member of staff was very apologetic and polite but was obviously keen to deal with me quickly as there were only two staff working and a backlog of customers waiting to be served!!! Needless to say, there were many disgrunted customers queuing up to complain about the wait!! After finally getting a drink, we had to wait 20 minutes for a table to become available which was then dirty and unwiped! Only a few minutes after sitting down, the room we were sitting in became filled with smoke as there was a problem with the fire so we left leaving disappointed, hungry and thirsty! I visit many pubs and restaurauts and this ranks up there as the worst! My advice would be to stay well clear!

• Visited December 2011