“So close yet so far”
Review of The Amberley Inn

The Amberley Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Amberley B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am going to start in a roundabout way and say I would probably return. Maybe.

And knowing what I know now would probably be able to add a star to two to the ratings. So much of our stay was outstanding with a couple of mystifying exceptions.

1. Dear Traveller, regardless of what is painted on a large sign on the outside. Refreshment are NOT served all day other than of a liquid sort. So when we arrive around 3pm on a scorching day with fond, innocent fantasies of a cool shower following by some sort of bar snack it was a bit of a shock to be told that whilst cool shower there was, lashing of liquid refreshment by the gallom waiting for us to but indicate our choice food choice was either a bag of pork scratchings or a bag of posh crisps. So we enjoyed our nice cold drinks in a beautiful bar whilst out stomachs rumbled in an alarming fashion that we thought might scare the cattle that wandered past from time to time. But nary a sandwich, muffin or anything else was forthcoming so we sadly drove down into Nailsworth and purchased a couple of rather grotty sandwiches and sat on the end of our bed in our beautiful bedroom, looking at the beautiful view nibbling crappy chain store snacks. There were at least three staff members knocking around - I cannot see how it was beyond their ability to knock up a cheese or ham sandwich. I would imagine a fair proportion of their guest have driven down the M3 to arrive dusty and hungry... Had there been any mention of this in their details I should have either arrived earlier to catch lunch service or detoured of one of the other fine eating establishments in the neighbourhood (luckily we know the area pretty well as we have visited friends in the area for many years) In fact, one of the local testaurants Tubby's does my husband's just about all time favourite foods - an amazing mushroom strudel that 20 years later he still fondly asks after. But I digress. Back to 2013. We relaxed in comfort in our room until our friend arrived and we went off for dinner. We arrived back around 11pm and gained the safety of our room and spent a perfectly wonderful night. The bathroom was spotless, the towels soft and fluffy, the drinks tray amply provisioned.

The next morning I went to pick up friend to reunited her with her car parked outside, and to have her join us for breakfast before we parted ways again. Other than a 20min Mexican Stand off with a herd of black cattle up on Rodborough Common this was accomplished. I had checked with the very amiable manager that there would be no problem accomodating an extra for breakfast and we arrived back at hotel in good order to find that the lure of real food had proved too much for other half and he had already eaten.

Maybe this is what completely confused the very sweet waiting staff because my breakfast was a complete shambles. (and that's being nice about - well it was a beautiful morning) Juice glasses were there none, I had to 'borrow' a cereal bowl from another table and it took around 15mins to get coffee. Warning to the universe - Do Not Get Between Me and my Caffeine early in the morning.I ordered my breakfast undyed smoked haddock with poached egg(funny, I though fillet meant they would have removed some of the bones... SILLY me and the egg was way overcooked. Not quite to hard boiled/poached or that would have occasioned a full blown tantrum - eeerg. What IS the point of hard boiled eggs. Gotta have a runny yolk guys.) and despite repeated pleading my toast only turned up after I had finished my fish and butter? What butter? We just stole from another table that left a pat... Yet other half swore his full english was wonderful (and he got toast and butter in good order - in fact it was a couple of his left over pieces that kept me going and prevent mayhem. and our friend was in awe of the rhubarb yoghurt and thought it was one of the best she had ever eaten. And her croissants were hot and fresh and fabulous (Although also sadly lacking butter too and the promised preserves. Butthe coffee was fab - 'pokey' was the agreed description. Which is as it should be.

If your kitchen staff can't be bothers to stick a couple of slices of bread in a toaster then invest in another one and leave it on the cereal table with a few slices of bread so guests can make their own.

But my question to the Amberly management, should they ever bother to read their reviews is simply - What is WRONG with your kitchen? Your other staff are friendly and helpful but for heavens sake give them something to work with. The lack of any food outside 'service' hours is ridiculous in a 21st century world that has freezers and fridges - People are willing to pay money for this y'know, but if you'd rather send them to Tesco's be my guest,

And as for the complete debacle that was breakfast? The only thing that prevented that becoming a bloodbath was the niceness of of your waitresses and the fact that there were enough tables that had already left for me to scavenge from.

Here are a few simple pointers to running a breakfast service: (which by the way, in my distant past I HAVE done)
Firstly - make sure ALL the tables are set properly with ALL expected crocker/Cutlery (doing it the night before after dinner has been cleared would be my suggestion)
1. Guest enters - Tea or coffee? Then bloody get it NOW. People will forgive much if they have something in front of them.
When delivering toast (preferably at the same time as the food) check that simple things like butter and jam are present
You bring coffee? Check there are enought cups and milk for the number at the table
Also - hang around until you are certain that the guests have all their meal. It's lovely to chat with guests about your summer plans, no really it is. But to do it in front of hungry, increasingly irritated unserved guests might be considered risking life and limb.

This is NOT rocket science
The business of a hotel is simple. I give you money, you give me a nice room for the night and a modest level of service. I am normally polite and grateful. Everyone is happy.
Also - whilst it is a nice touch to provide free newspapers - I am sorry but The Daily Mail is hardly my newspaper of choice. I would have been pefectly thrilled to pay for the newspaper of my choice to be at my table when I arrived (Sunday Telegraph, thank you for asking - oh that's right, you didn't bother)

You might want to consider what sort of business you are really running... If two hungry guests check in looking for some sort of sustenance, which surely cannot be uncommon, would it be beneath them for a member of staff to knock up a cheese or a ham sandwich?

You might want to thing about this when (or if) you wonder why decided to go to The Old Lodge for dinner. And this was BEFORE the shambles of breakfast.

And you should be grateful my husband settled the bill whilst I finished my very late arriving toast because I feel I should not have been so amicable. And tip there would assuredly have been none.

Would I return? probably, maybe, depends if The Bear or Egypt Mills have any vacancies to be honest. Which is a pity because so much of our stay was wonderful

You need to take a long hard look at what is going on because with so little extra effort it would have been 5 star.As it is you barely scraped three.

Room Tip: Our room (4) was lovely, light and looked out over the junction but still charming.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Amberley Inn

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had a fantastic time at The Amberley Inn whilst on a walking break with my husband. Jane and Trevor clearly care about their customers and we found the little touches they gave to the place made it a really special stay. Our room was spotlessly clean and we had a lovely view across the garden, our room had a sofa area so it was really nice after a long day walking to kick off our boots and slumber on the sofa.
The Egyptian cotton sheets, fluffy towels and White Company products were all perfect. Incidentally if you wanted milk a simple call to the reception desk from the phone in the room (unusual these days- and gave free calls to landlines!) was all you had to do to get fresh milk within minutes. All the staff were very kind and helped us whenever we wanted anything.
Will definately recommend this old inn to you!...after I've gone home to replace my towels now I have gotten ust to the fluffy ones!

Room Tip: The garden cottage gave us a very quiet nights sleep and pretty garden
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank adam w
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had booked a suite for one night. First impression wasn't great - after a warm welcome from Trevor, we were brought to the rear of the Inn, out through what looked like a garden shed, and then through what resembled a building site (pipes were being repaired or replaced).

Our suite was in a separate house behind the Inn. While quite large and very clean, the layout was a bit odd. Other reviewers have mentioned fresh milk in the room - but not in our suite. Perhaps a room in the Inn itself might be a better option?

Anyway, the bar has plenty of character and our evening meal was very good. Breakfast was mixed - the traditional cooked breakfast was very good, but the omelette was very over-cooked. When we asked for more tea, it seemed that they only topped up the teapot with boiling water. On balance, the Amberley Inn has a number of positive aspects, but still has room for improvement. Expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mac777
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned from a few days in this lovely hotel. Very clean and staff very friendly. A good location to stay when visit the Cotswold and a good hearty breakfast to start the day . Would defiantly return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Christine B
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were very impressed with everything about the Amberley Inn: the friendliness of the staff; the quality of the room, the excellent meals; the use of locally sourced produce. Touches such as fresh milk in the room earns the place five stars as far as we are concerned!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank GAGNWK
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband I just returned from a 4 night stay at The Amberley Inn. We had a very nice stay and I highly recommend The Amberley. I originally contacted the Inn about a specific room I was interested in after reviewing their website. Trevor, the owner, contacted me directly and suggested that Room 12 would be available and newly refurbished upon our visit. I was assured Room 12 had lovely views which was what we were looking for! We were not disappointed in either the room or the view!
We were treated with kindness from everyone we came in contact with at the hotel.
The building itself was built in the 1850's and has some very charming features, especial the gorgeous mullioned windows.
Everyone was always very helpful and pleasant. We felt right at home. The breakfast was always excellent with a very nice selection. We had lunch one day and our sandwiches were great and served with fresh cut chips. All was fresh and delicious. We were in the area for a wedding and one evening brought family back with us a for an evening meal. We enjoyed sitting in the bar (by those pretty windows) and having our meal. We had a wide variety from the menu and all was great. One little suggestion would be to lighten up on the charring of the duck...the flavors were a bit too strong. They use locally sourced food and the freshness shows. I was especially fond of the butter served! Very generous portions of the creamiest english butter! Yum!.
Our room was very spacious, the linens were dreamy and the towels were huge and fluffy. The newly done shower had a rain head and hot water was abundant. (I could have used a wee shelf for the shampoo;) I was chilly when we first arrived (it was 85 in Texas when we left!) and reception promptly supplied me with a space heater till the radiators could properly warm things up. Little touches but greatly appreciated. And no one made a fuss when I tripped the breakers with my hairdryer....and then they provided me with one of theirs.
Weather could have been better...lots of rain and wind but the beauty of the area shone through. The Minchinhampton Common was 2 minutes away by car or a very short walk. Nailsworth Village was just down the road and a terrific location for shopping and eating. We were spoiled for choice with excellent restaurants and markets-Williams Fish Market was amazing! Painswick is a short drive away and has so much to see. We had a few drinks at The Falcon Inn as we had family staying there and enjoyed the views of the Church across the way with the amazing Yews. Well worth a visit.
Many things about our trip were enhanced by the Amberley Inn. A pleasant face, kind service and clean surroundings go a long long way. The staff were terrific, the food was great, the location perfect, the views amazing. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had Room 12 which overlooked the front of the hotel. Loved our view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Cab4Gam
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have just returned home from 2 nights at the Amberley Inn in Amberley, Stroud. It is a lovely olde hotel and we had a fantastic room at the front of the hotel with stunning views. The staff were really welcoming and very helpful and friendly. The meals were also very good. It is an ideal location for visiting other places, Stroud town centre, Cirencester etc. We would definately return and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the stunning views
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cilla0804
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amberley
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
#6 of 7 in Stroud
The Old Lodge
The Old Lodge
#5 of 34 in Stroud

Been to The Amberley Inn? Share your experiences!