“Hidden Gem”

Coffs Harbour Butterfly House
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Bonville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Butterfly House is an enclosed subtropical environment where visitors have the opportunity all year round, to get close to nature, be surrounded by myriads of live Australian butterflies and learn about their life-cycle. Our knowledgeable guides are always available to share the experience. Visitors can explore our maze and enjoy a snack in our cafe. We also have a beautiful gift store. Locals can enjoy free entry when accompanied by a full paying non-local visitor (proof of address required)
Reviewed May 27, 2018

We walked in not knowing what to expect but very simply amazed. Butterflies continually flutter around you and if you sit they will land on you. I had a Bird Wing moth emerge and within five minutes landed on my shirt fluttering furiously trying to dry his wings then fly off to join the others. You could spend hours here, being careful where to tread because they land on the ground. A lovely place to take the kids

Date of experience: May 2018
in 6 reviews
"staff were lovely"
"worth every cent"

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

The wife was Lepidopterophobia, the word for fear of butterflies. So I convinced her to go to the ButterflyHouse Coffs Harbour with me. She loved it.
The guide was so informative and nice, had the best time.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed May 15, 2018

This was our second visit to the Butterfly House at Bonville, and although it has changed hands, is still doing what it does quite well. On both our visits, the variety and volume of butterflies in the climate-controlled greenhouse has been decent and the staff always willing to have a chat and answer any questions. I have read reviews from others that complain about the price, but I honestly do not think it is unreasonable when you consider all that goes into running a place like this, especially this far south.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

If you have never been to a butterfly house then it's a must for your bucket list!
The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful here. Because the butterfly house is temperature controlled (high humidity) for the butterflies I was concerned because of my medical condition as to whether I would be able to handle it. After discussing this with the helpful and kind staff they suggested I go in for five minutes and try it before paying to see if I could handle it! They even checked on me later on to make sure I was ok.
What a awesome experience to be surrounded by many different types of beautiful butterflies and to see them so close. You may even be lucky enough to have a butterfly land on you like I did (see attached photo of my encounter with a friendly butterfly),a experience of a lifetime! They have a butterfly nursery where you can see them in the different stages of hatching. Definitely a good idea to take your camera to capture these beautiful butterflies as they enjoy some nectar on platforms right in front of you.

Date of experience: April 2018