“A truly magic place!”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Braithwaite
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We recently returned from a New Year's break at the Cottage in the Wood.This was our third stay in as many years. It was magic on all three occasions. The location is unique, the accommodation really homely, the welcome and service hard to beat and the food and wines exceptional. We are in the process of booking a repeat visit in the summer which is as good a recommendation as you can get.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our third stay at this special retreat from the hustle-bustle of the crazy season. Part of me doesn't want to write this review because I don't want to share our wonderful secret hideaway with anyone else, but there can be no denying that Kath and Liam so deserve this positive review. Picture yourself sitting in a candle-lit 'stand alone' bath gazing up through the skylight at a star spangled night sky and you might understand why I want to keep this all to myself .... but that would be a little selfish, wouldn't it?

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but our favourite is 'Tree Tops'.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank atlanta2
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow wow wow! What an amazing meal!
Ate here with family after recently getting engaged. Had checked out the menu and reviews before we booked. It was fablous, best soup and risotto I've ever had.
Staff were attentive but not pushy or over the top.
Can't comment on the rooms, as we didn't stay.
Definetly will return

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary, it was our first time here,on arrival we were greeted by Kath with a lovely warm welcome, then shown to our room 'tree tops'. The whole place was decorated lovely and once we had got ourselves sorted we went down to the lounge for tea and home made cake sitting by the wood burner. Happy and chilled out within an hour of getting to the place. Says it all really. I had booked us for a meal in the restaurant that evening,sitting in the conservatory with a wood brazier burning away outside it looked wonderful. The two ladies serving on were very friendly and as each course arrived they explained exactly what was on the plate, where it had been sourced locally etc, they guided us in choosing wines to accompany our meal, which, having eaten in various 'top' cumbrian restaurants, this just blew them all away, the best food we have ever tasted!!!
All in all a superb place to stay and dine. Well done CITW keep up the great work and see you soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a great time enjoying a winter weekend break during November enjoying the vegetarian taster menu on Friday with the normal menu on Saturday.
Quite often when visiting a hotel which has good (carnivorous) reviews, the vegetarian options are "also rans", but not in this case. A superb range of tastes, flavours, and textures. I think the wine flight might have been primarily designed to match the meat and fish rather than the veggie dishes. but superb wines nonetheless.
The (standard) cottage room was spotless, and large enough for a couple of nights.
Beautiful autumnal colours and it was great to see red squirrels.
The Pencil Museum in Keswick is much more interesting than it might sound!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend break to celebrate a significant wedding anniversary. I accepted that when we booked their ‘best’ rooms were all taken but as it was a 4* hotel I was confident of the standard and so settled for a Cottage room. The welcome was friendly and good, the service and food in the restaurant on the Friday evening exceeded expectations although we felt the restaurant was so plain and minimal with bare wood table and no adornment anywhere that it lack any ambience, Saturday evening the service was not so hot but still OK. The room was not in my experience 4* it was, as was the whole place, immaculately clean and well maintained however the room was small and lacked some of the extras you expect in this standard. For example there was no extra pillow or blanket no bottled water or even a glass to drink from only plastic tooth mugs in the shower room. The toiletries were minimal and there was no shower cap or face cloth. The hospitality tray was just about adequate. I had not read before retiring for the night that I needed to ask for fresh milk if I wanted it, it was late when I noticed and as there is no night porter/staff or room service so I had no way of getting anything at that point. The breakfast was good although ‘eggs cooked as you want them’ failed as I twice said I do not like my eggs flipped but on both mornings they were flipped however in fairness still with a running yoke. The following day I asked for a shower cap and water and they arrived and I by then knew I needed to ask for fresh milk and did so. Anything you asked for was provided and the owners were keen to make everything right but I would have preferred that things were in the room or like the milk offered. In conclusion this is an exception location with extremely kind and welcoming hosts. The restaurant serves good food but lacks atmosphere and the room and facilities are not 4*. There is a sign on the door as you arrive which states it is a restaurant with rooms and despite its 4* hotel rating it is a restaurant with rooms so don’t expect everything a 4* hotel provides. Having said all the above it is a lovely place and very clean the owners want to make welcome and it is a shame that little touches just let it down for us especially on this special occasion.

Room Tip: It is an old building and the Cottage Rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A and M J
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our break started well with a lovely welcome from a member of staff followed by the owner herself. We were shown to our cottage room, Larch, (small but perfectly formed!) and invited to have tea and cakes in the lounge. The evening meal was exceptional with the staff being very attentive. Breakfasts were varied and of a high quality. The view over Skiddaw and the red squirrels added to the breakfast experience in the conservatory. As keen walkers it was a nice change to walk directly from the hotel through Whinlatter forest and then onto Lord's Seat and Broome Fell (142 Wainwrights! and 25 for my wife!) The situation was ideal as it only took under 10 mins to drive into Keswick where there is a varied choice of eateries. All in all another perfect Lake District stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bongo60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Keswick Country House Hotel
5 mi away
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!