“lovely stay”

Ranked #4 of 8 Braithwaite B&B and Inns
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
“lovely stay”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

just got back after two nights. was lovely. room and good really good. staff couldn't be more accomodating. even offered a blanket for our dog to lie on while we were eating the pub. booked again to go back. can't wait

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Durham
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Food is lovely but the service is a joke, unless you are a regular or friend of the servers! Luckily you get games to play whilst waiting for the bored looking staff to serve you! And don't use your phone for fear of reprisal unless you are pals with management!!

• Stayed May 2013
England
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our second stay at Middle Ruddings as part of a large group. Our room was a bit on the small side but the bathroom was large. Last stay we had a much larger room so it is probably the luck of the draw. The room was clean and décor looked fresh. The staff were generally friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good with a nice buffet selection for the size of hotel. One morning they appeared to have no mushrooms which seemed rather odd but otherwise all cooked nicely and enjoyable. We also ate here on three evenings. As a large group we had the breakfast room set up for our party. The food is okay but I feel it has been better in the past. Service was fine. There always seemed to be a lot of people eating here too. We used the residents' lounge quite a lot for coffee. The coffee could be stronger. I found it overall a pleasant hotel to stay in and quite relaxing.

Room Tip: Room sizes vary so may be worth enquiring on booking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Myshkin
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We called in here one Sunday for lunch after friends told us it had recently been voted Camra's best pub in West Cumbria. We arrived at 12:50 and thought we might have trouble getting a table, it turned out the place was completely empty. The warning bells started to ring. There was a lot of young staff chatting behind reception, probably waiting for some customers to show up. We both ordered a pint of the local Keswick beer, my husbands looked a lot cloudier than mine and he said it tasted sweet so he sent it back. The waiter came back with a fresh pint and informed my husband that the previous pint was half cider, half beer! This from the Cambra Cumbrian pub of the year?!
We both ordered the roast of the day, there was only one option, pork. The food came out very quickly and was warm but not hot. We usually have to cool food down before giving it to our young son but he was able to eat this straight away. The pork was very fatty, the vegetables were far too hard and crunchy and the portions were fairly small, certainly not worth £11. We decided not to opt for dessert but ordered a coffee instead, when it arrived it was so weak we didn't bother to drink it and waited til we got home instead. They knocked the coffee off our bill. While we were there only one other party of four turned up to eat, they had never been there before either and said they were surprised to see it so quiet. It might be a reasonable place to stay but I really wouldn't recommend eating here, not with all the choice you have on the doorstep, I guess that explains why the place was empty.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank GnTJill
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had this place recommended to us whilst staying in the area so we decided to give it a try on our last night. The staff are extremely friendly and attentive and provided great service. Everything we chose from the menu was fantastic, in particular a sausage, bacon, chicken and leek (on the menu as "pie of the week") which was amazing - the best pie we have ever tasted! We wouldn't hesitate in recommending this place and will definitely return if we are in the area again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

visited this for the first time recently and was more than satisfied with my meal and service. The place itself could do with an overhaul as far as decoration goes but the food was lovely and good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed in Middle Ruddings for one night on my way to Whitehaven for work. I found the place using the internet. What a great find it turned out to be. I only needed the single room which was small but adequate. What sold the place for me was how welcome I was made to feel and the great food. The location is fantastic looking out to Skidaw and would have perfect had I had time to go walking. I stayed on a bed breakfast and evening meal basis and was suprised to find that I could have anything from the normal menu. I had pate followed by an excellent steak pie and chips and then tart and ice cream for pudding. All of the food was very very good. The hotel is quite large ample parking and with a selection of rooms to eat in and a quiet room to relax. The bar had good beer which was well priced and had a nice pub feel to it. Breakfast in the hotel is normally from 8.30 however when I told them that I needed to have left by then they came in early and made my breakfast for 8.00am. And what a great breakfast it was. The black pudding was fantastic. All the way through my stay I was made welcome by both the staff and the other guests. This was a great place to stop and I will be back but this time with my walking boots and my mountain bike.

Room Tip: Talk to the owner and he will advise you
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Braithwaite
The Skiddaw Hotel
The Skiddaw Hotel
#7 of 12 in Keswick

Been to Middle Ruddings Country Inn? Share your experiences!