“Another wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Braithwaite B&B and Inns
durham
“Another wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have just had another fantastic couple of days at Middle Ruddings with Liz, Andy, Tom and Beccy. We have been visiting the Lake District for over 18 years and stayed in all sorts of accommodation and can say this is by far the best!
All the staff are without question, the most friendly and helpful we have had the pleasure to meet, The food is second to none and Andy keeps an excellent selection of real ales and wines, We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will be booking in for at least two more visits in 2013. Thanks again from Ian and Yvonne.
Highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yvrob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Another fantastic stay with Andy, Liz and the team, exceptionally warm welcome, excellent room. Loved the roaring log fire, and the autumn/winter menu was perfect, offering lots of choice to the weary and hungry walker. A hotel to really feel at home in. We would highly reccomend a stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda L
hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Excellent hotel with superb service from lovely staff.This was a quiet week after half term and we benefited from even more personal attention than normal. Personally overseen by family who all live on the premises. Food in either bar or conservatory restaurant is wonderful and home baking and cooking is excellent. We were allowed to have dogs in bar for our evening meal which is both unusual in hotels and very welcome to us with our well behaved retrievers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john w
Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

On business so did not spend as much time as I would have liked in the hotel.
However, I must say the evening meal was splendid and exceeded expectations, the staff were friendly and the rooms compact and clean.
I was leaving early in the morning - outside the normal breakfast hours - but it was almost insisted I had breakfast, and made me poached eggs and coffee. I only wish time was not so pressing so could have hogged out on the full breakfast menu.
It is what I call going the extra mile to look after guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Durham, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked 3 nights at Middle Ruddings to be fairly near while my daughter and friends were Youth Hostelling without parents for the first time, but it won't be the last time I stay there!

There's an immediate welcome from the staff who show you to your room and explain things, and I was impressed by the clean fresh room with comfortable bed and lots of pillows. Couldn't get the TV to work, but that was the controller rather then the TV; I worked it out eventually! The bathroom was a bit small but again spotlessly clean and had everything I need including a good powerful shower.
There was ample storage space and a very good beverage tray with supplies replenished daily.

The bar and lounge downstairs are comfortable and welcoming with a lovely fire in the bar; great for getting warm over a beer after a wet walk; the weather wasn't at its best during my stay! There are real ales and ciders at the bar. Downstairs near the kitchen, a member of staff showed me the drying room which is a bonus as all my wet gear got dried off each day for the next morning.

I opted for bed and breakfast but ended up eating dinner there for 2 of the 3 nights and would definitely book D,B & B next time as the price is reasonable. Breakfast was served in a dedicated breakfast room which was good, because the staff didn't have to keep re-laying tables for either breakfast or dinner, and you could sit anywhere laid for the appropriate number of people. There were fruit compotes and salads, delicious home baked bread, juices and cereals to start including lovely own recipe muesli and yoghurt. Cooked breakfast was to order, with cumberland sausage, local bacon and black pudding, roast tomatoes, eggs cooked the way you asked for them, and even haggis and potatoes if you wanted! There were also delicious kippers or smoked haddock with poached eggs, or local ham and cheeses if you wanted continental. Breakfast all in all was among the nicest I've had in the Lakes!

I didn't regret opting for dinner and wish I'd booked D,B&B in the first place! I always find it's better to book B&B the first time you go somewhere and to try dinner. Middle Ruddings' dinner menu is quite simply excellent, with specials every day as well as a few regular dishes. One night I had Morecambe Bay potted shrimps followed by slow roast lamb, both of which were superb. The other night I opted for home made pate with cumberland sauce, and venison steak in juniper sauce. Again both superb! Vegetables were cooked to perfection, and the only regret was that I couldn't fit in a pudding either night, as the choice looked delicious! Perhaps next time the weather will be better and I can get out for a longer mountain day which means I might be able to fit in 3 courses!

There's a lovely garden with sitting out areas; pity that it was only dry for one day but something to look forward to in the summer, taking coffee or a beer out there with wonderful views to Skiddaw

I have been looking for somewhere new for short breaks in the North Lakes since my favourite hotel was taken over by a chain and the standard of food destroyed. Middle Ruddings sources all its food from local suppliers as my former favourite place used to do, and it shows in the quality of what they serve! Lots of organic and fairtrade produce too, and a wine list with some favourites featured.

The staff are friendly and helpful; nothing is too much trouble. I thought the informal reception area was part of the charm of an inn which offers informal comfort and a relaxing stay. I look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Clodia94
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just spent an Excellant few days at Middle Ruddings.
As usual, a very warm welcome by staff. The standard of cleanliness, in rooms, public areas, and bar of the highest standard. To find fault with this hotel would be very picky indeed. And pricewise, difficult to beat these rates anywhere in "the lakes".
Well done, Andy, Liz and all staff at Braithwaite..........

Room Tip: All are at a high standard. But try and get a front room, for magnificent views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Solihull
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Staying at this hotel was not a pleasant experience. Nothing has been updated since the 1970s, (and it would have been unsightly even then). It reminded me of going into old peoples' homes in the 1970s. The furniture is all mismatched, old and damaged. There are dark reddish patterned fitted carpets and anaglypta wallpaper. The lounge is a repository for randomly placed, ugly, ramshackle old 1970s sofas and chairs, with the ugliest decor I have ever seen in one room, and every morning there was a clothes airer in there with what appeared to be the previous day's napkins on. The dining rooms have tablecloths over tablecloths, and matching napkins in polyester jacquards in dark reds and greens - dreary and ugly. The reception desk area was frightful - a complete mess - a cubby hole full of office junk on full display with knick knacks and paraphernalia, including a "joke" complaints bell on the counter which was actually a modified mouse trap (sordid and repellant). We paid £180 for 2 nights B & B in a small double room. The room was cold, damp and unpleasant. (Room 2) The windows were filthy, and steamed up and running with condensation. The larger windows couldn't be opened, and due to secondary double glazing were constantly steamed up. These windows had years of dust and grime on the frames, flaking paintwork, cobwebs and spiders' webs adorning them. I looked on top of the wardrobe, hoping to find an extra pillow, but there was a blanket up there in a bag, and about 3 years worth of dust. The bathroom had no shower, just a rubber shower attachment to fix to the taps - haven't seen one of those for 30 years! There was no heating in the bathroom. The freestanding towel rail wouldn't support the weight of even a hand towel - it just kept keeling over. The room was a small and awkward L-shape. The TV was positioned as far as it could be from the bed, and since it had a screen perhaps 10 inches across, was nigh on impossible to see. On the second day, we requested a fan heater due to feeling so cold and damp on the first night, and when we returned from our day out, we found that one had been placed in the room (not switched on) for us to use. This did improve matters somewhat. There was quite a lot of road noise from very early in the morning. The breakfast experiences (2 mornings) were each very different. On the 1st morning, we were served by a lovely young woman (Becky) and the breakfast was good. Hot food, eggs cooked as asked, gluten-free toast and even fried bread provided. The potato dish was tasty - a mashed herby fried concoction. On the 2nd morning, the bacon and tomato were completely cold. The potatoes were tiny burned dice (inedible) and we had to ask for toast which finally came after we had finished eating. I was surprised not to have been provided with gluten-free sausage (I had booked about a month previously, so there was plenty of notice given) but to be told on the 2nd morning that the chef hadn't given me any sausage because he wasn't sure whether they were gluten-free or not, was mystifying. We had dinner on the first night, and the food was of a good standard, although the ambience and decor lets the hotel down badly. We were originally told (almost with triumph) that we couldn't eat in the Conservatory because we hadn't booked. Then suddenly, we could. We didn't want to eat in the bar because dogs are allowed in there (allergies). If you like your hotels to have style, whether that style is period or contemporary, AVOID this hotel. It's HORRIBLE and vastly overpriced. I wish Alix Polizzi would visit this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GadaboutSolihull
TomMcmaster, Manager at Middle Ruddings Country Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Firstly I would like to thank the reviewer for their comments, they have made interesting reading as I needed some light fiction to read of a night. I do however feel that a few points need to be addressed. Firstly if, like the lady commented, if the place had not been decorated since the 70's I would be in breach of my lease (we have to redecorate every 5 years) Secondly and this is where I feel strongly about the decor and furnishings have been carefully selected to match the age and style of the original building. Most of the furniture is in the Sheriton revival style where possible or lighter Victorian. The wall pictures are, as are knowledgeable guests can tell, fine antique engravings and prints collected during my 30 years in the antique trade and chosen deliberately to avoid modern designer uniformity.
The Dining room, which is in a bright airy conservatory (far from dreary), is dressed in cream and burgundy using high quality tablecloth material. Having table clothes and underclothes is standard practice in most dining establishments and not generally known to cause offence. The napkins which I admit were on a clothes horse in an area not used in the morning have as yet over our 7 years has not caused any one to comment let alone take offence and feel the need to comment on it.
Room 2 is not cold, damp and unpleasant in fact it is an often requested room. The only cobwebs are on the outside of the window, the furniture again carefully selected, high quality antiques. If , like guests are advised to do, you had read the information folder in the room then it does say simply ask any of the staff who would be more than happy to provide as many extra pillows as required, but obviously asking was to much trouble. The one point I must thank you for was mentioning the towel rail, this has now been replaced.
At breakfast, for which we are proud to have a tourism award for the last 2 years, asking for toast is quite normal practice when freshly baked homemade bread is provided; most people don't struggle with this concept!
The guest were asked on more than one occasion if everything was satisfactory and apart from some condensation on the window they replied yes lovely thank you, we can put right certain issues but not customers inability to communicate. As an ex teacher I feel that the best way to help a child to improve its work is to communicate as much as possible with said child to establish concerns and help that child to improve in the future...I believe hospitality is the same. Face to face communication is a much better way of helping an inn such as ourselves improve...as none of these criticisms were made ( aside from the heater and the condensation) to any member of staff, it is a shame it has to be done from the safety of a computer profile.
A portable electric was provided to help with the small amount of condensation but as per health and safety regulations was turned on in the customers absence as it is a fire risk.
My office space is mine, we do not take photos of guest’s mess which our domestic staff tidy daily. The office is a normal working space and as such some paper work is on the surfaces which I must apologise for and would be grateful for suggestions as to how I can work without it.
I would also like to address the photos kindly provided by the reviewer. The photo of the room has been very cleverly staged with curtains shut, lights off and the guests clutter on display thus making it look as bad as they possibly could, it is of course a complete mis-representation of the room which is bright, airy and with lovely views of the Skiddaw massif. The flaky paint is on the outside of the window and will be receiving its yearly paint in due course, but no flaky paint on the inside as the reviewer has deliberately tried to portray it. I would like to thank the reviewer for the pictures of the reception space as I think it shows it to be a lot less cluttered than most offices. More accurate amateur photos along with some professional ones will be posted.
I would like to finish by pointing out that in our recent hotel inspection (6 weeks ago) we were at the top rating for a 3 star country inn, and have to meet the strict criteria every year which we have done since 2005.
Unfortunately we can't please everyone all the time but as the majority of our reviews suggest we do by and large manage this.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braithwaite
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#4 of 12 in Keswick
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#3 of 12 in Keswick

Been to Middle Ruddings Country Inn? Share your experiences!