“Amazing!!”

The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked a table while working in the cottage next door as a surprise for my wife.
We arrived a little early so we were seated in the lounge area with a drink, the menu to browse and the roaring log burner, lovely.
We had the difficult decision of the three course menu or eight course taster menu.
We decided on the three course menu and were blown away!
The staff were very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the produce that was being served. Every course was stunningly presented and tasted amazing. We ended our evening back in the lounge with a little tipple before we set off home.

The best meal and dining experience we've ever had, will definatly be back.

Thanks again
Graham & Amanda Hewitt
(Cockermouth)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife booked us a room and meal for my 40th birthday it was a very special and atmospheric meal.

As soon as we arrived we were warmly greeted by the staff and shown to our room, one at the top of the house in the attic, be warned that the doorways are a bit low, I am well over 6ft and they are low in the attic, but it was a very well appointed room with a huge skylight, comfortable bed and lovely bathroom.
When we went down for our meal we waited pleasantly in the lounge area and had a drink while browsing the menu, we eventually decided on the 8 course tasting menu and my wife decided to have the wine to accompany the meal (a selected wine with each course that complements the food).
Now I have to say that the portions were not huge, but after a relaxed 8 course menu we were comfortably full rather than feeling ill with over eating (I like my food). we were served by friendly staff who explained a little about each course, where the ingredients came from as they were locally sourced and the sommelier would explain a little about the wine to my wife. The food was exceptional and beautifully presented, the atmosphere was relaxed in the conservatory as we watched skiddaw change colour in the setting sun. Its a fine balance between being hovered over and being ignored but we had a relaxed pleasant meal, at no point were we left wanting but we had time between courses to enjoy the wine and have a bit of a chat with a family sitting near.
We will be back again, I know that its not cheap but it was worth every penny as a treat.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We found this place as we drove by and turned around to check it out.
We booked immediately for dinner, and, had we known about it earlier, we would have stayed here too. Quiet and secluded in the midst of the lake District's walks.
Once again the produce was all locally sourced. Modern presentation and again good choice of game dishes if that's your thing (it is ours!). Great wine list. Super service.
A bit of a drive if you are not staying there, but that is a minor inconvenience, if you like fine dining at its best in the Lake District. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Cottage in the Wood, positioned amongst delightful surroundings in Winlatter forest, atop the intriguingly named “Magic Hill”.
Our meet and greet at this establishment was warm and friendly albeit perhaps a tad “friendlier” than the occasion warranted,. . . some folk I am sure could be made to feel, (unintentionally), ill at ease in feeling obliged at having to summon up an equally effusive response to this studied, albeit sincere, “charm offensive”.

Seated in the most comfortable of surroundings we were offered drinks, nibbles and the menu to peruse with the promise that our hostess would be back to “talk us through the menu”.
Two things here:
a.) I feel the presumption was made that we would require “talking through” the menu. This does tend to negate the option of serendipity, something I have employed in the past with the most surprising and delightful of results in other fine dining establishments.
b.) Better perhaps to ask if a “talk through" is required, or better still produce a menu which explains that “Iron Age Pork”, for example, is in fact a particular breed of hog and not as my imagination would have it a process which involves the hog being slow cooked in a pit of hot stones covered in sweet meadow straw and windfall apples. (Now there’s an idea!) . . . . . .

We enjoyed the selection of artisan breads and the “amuse bouche” of spiced cauliflower soup, as we did the starters: Pressed Head of Lorton Lop. For the main we opted for the Iron Age Pork which was delicious but alas the crackling proved challenging, being well beyond “el dente”. Nonetheless I suppose it did go to authenticate it’s provenance as being from the “Iron” Age Hog.

Sparkling water, my drink of choice, was drawn from the mountain brook running through the property and carbonated on site. A nice, practical sustainable gesture. My partners selection of the house red proved to be most acceptable.

Portions were, in my opinion, on the small side, I am sure my appreciation of the pork in particular would have been enhanced by a few more delicious mouthfuls.
The cheese board with a selection of five farm produced cheeses was again “talked through” with regards provenance and process, and the advice proffered that I leave two of the cheeses until last as they were seemingly particularly pungent. On reflection I really would have preferred to make this olfactory journey myself . . . . . again larger portions would have been appreciated.

In conclusion we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening, finishing with a couple of excellent digestif espresso coffee’s, (or “expresso” as mine hostess would have it).

1  Thank siefgried
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Having passed this place umpteen times and saying "we'll have to give it a try", we finally got to go. It was my birthday after all!!!! A warm welcome awaits, followed by one of the best meals we have ever had. Locally sourced ingredients with fabulous attention to detail and very knowledgeable staff made it a wonderful experience. If you are a person who likes quantity over quality, this may not be for you, but at the end of our meal we didn't feel over stuffed, which we both hate. The highlight of the meal, for me, was the walnut and parsnip cake. It was sublime, and I'm not a pudding person! All in all, lovely birthday treat and I wish now we hadn't left it so long! Will definitely recommend and hopefully be back soon.