“Brilliant food!”

The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
Gosforth, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The selection of food was great and it was really well cooked.
The atmosphere and service was fantastic, Kath, Julie and Sally were excellent.
Would definitely recommend this place.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank earlist

Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Perfect!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It truly was a perfect evening. The owner, Kathy, greeted us and we were seated in a cozy room to enjoy our beverages. Kathy explained the menu in great detail and then left us to make our choices. A waitstaff member came by soon after and answered all of our questions and took our orders. We were shown to our table in the conservatory and the view was beautiful. Service could not have been better - attentive, friendly but yet discreet. And the food! My sea bass was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The flavors of the dish melded perfectly. My husband ordered the Hedgewick Hogget and said it was delicious. Presentation of everyone's dinner was elegant. I can't begin to say enough about the excellence of the staff. This was one of the finest dining experiences I have ever encountered. As a result, we will be back many more times with friends and family. Thank you, Kathy, for a perfect evening.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Janice W
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, beautiful location”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We went for a meal back in March for my mothers birthday and the staff were great and even set up a little area in the lounge for us to put the balloons and the cake. The food was some of the nicest I've ever tasted and the location is beautiful in the middle of the wood.

I was lucky enough to find this place through trip advisor and don't normally write reviews but had to because this place was so fantastic! Would recommend to anyone. Only a short taxi ride from Keswick and looking forward to our next visit in October.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank dancarr1980
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“My new favourite restaurant”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Superb food, great value, wonderful view, excellent service. Could not believe how empty it was for lunch at peak season, but we had a wonderful time.

• Visited August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“wonderful staff, gorgeous views”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We went here for lunch for my father in law's birthday when we were visiting maryport, Cumbria. We called a couple days beforehand to make a reservation and thus were given one of the best tables in the house, meaning one that overlooks the valleys and forest. Upon arrival we were greeted with wonderful service from the staff who introduced themselves to us on a first name basis and treated us like royalty!
Oh the food! Excellent, and everything was perfect. My father in law (who is picky and is usually not into 'posh' places) raved about his beef cheek, and my salmon was incredible. We will be back for another special occasion. Great to have a restaurant of this caliber in the area.. the rooms look gorgeous, too! Thank you so much for a delightful experience.

• Visited August 2012