“book again before you leave!”

The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
uk
“book again before you leave!”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My wife and I ate at the Cottage for Valentines night, or rather the Saturday before Valentines. Originally we were meant to go as a threesome with a friend but she sadly couldn't make it so we decided to go ourselves anyway and are very glad we did! Warmly welcomed on a rather foggy night we were quickly seated next to the fire in the lounge enjoying pre dinner nuts and drinks, the drinks being very welcome, it well past beero'clock! It was a set menu for Valentines which suited me very well as I can't stand large menus that require in depth reading and analysis, quite frankly I switch off and glaze over, so not having to choose and think was fantastic. we were looked after by Kath, the owner, and she checked with us to make sure that there was no problems with any of the dishes. The starter was a tortellini of lobster served with "trotter", I having a quite serious pork obsession was thrilled but my wife was less sure, Kath quickly put her at ease and described the dish and made it sound enticing and not at all scary. The wine list is good and very well priced, my wife had some wine by the glass and I, being a man had beer! After our drinks we were taken through to our table and there was a lively atmosphere in the restaurant, not loud and obnoxious but a chatty, laughy, happy, busy sort of atmosphere. Plenty of people watching if you are that way inclined, as I am! We were brought some lovely homemade bread and some crunchy bread sticks. I was thrilled with the whole-meal beer bread, genius, two important food groups in one! A velvety smooth, aromatic mushroom veluté followed, with tiny little crunchy bits on top. This was followed by the lobster tortellini I alluded to earlier. it sat on top of a crispy deep fried chicken nugget and was filled with unctuous pieces of melting braised pigs trotter, it was "real food" refined and delicate, The whole dish was sauced with a light shellfish sauce and had some freshly foraged Bittercress on top which gave a wonderful peppery note to the sweetness of the lobster. The waitress knew instantly what the greenery was when I asked. I had to get some more bread to mop up my juices! Next followed a hunk of pan roasted turbot with an creamy smooth cauliflower puree, thousands of tiny little shrimps, pinenuts, all wonderfully balanced with the sauce, a charred leek (or maybe spring onion) and an occasional sweet burst of sultana. More bread mopped this one up. Now, as a porkahloic I'm not wild about chicken but the main course was a roasted Goosnargh chicken breast, with wild garlic, potato gnocchi and tiny little pickled mushrooms. The skin was crispy and the chicken moist, tiny little leaves of wild garlic added a gloriously indulgent garlic note and the sauce conjured the best roast chicken memories, many a vegetarians undoing! The last of the bread mopped my plate clean. The plate incidentally was a beautifully glazed brown affair and felt organic, warm and homely, just the thing to put a roast chicken on. i didn't ask but a nightmare to polish I should imagine! it was so nice to have crockery that wasn't white!
Next to come was a "Tom Collins", very ginny, very lemony and very welcome! It was both refreshing and invigorating and cleared the way for the cheese. You could opt for either cheese or dessert, I had both. The dessert was a tropical fruit affair, a passionfruit parfait and ruby grapefruit sorbet and lots of tiny little dices of fresh fruit. it was light and creamy with just the right balance of sweetness and acidity, could i have eaten more of it?...Of course! The cheeses were all local and presented as all the food had been with precision and beauty. Simple biscuits, celery and apple accompanied the cheese and allowed each cheese to be enjoyed with out the distraction of chutneys and the like, just the way it should be. We didn't have coffee or we'd have been awake all night but it smelt wonderfully rich and I enjoyed the aroma none the less. The staff were gorgeously friendly and always smiley. They really seemed to be enjoying themselves, almost as much as we were.
The Cottage is the sort of place you book to come again before you leave, which is exactly what we did, although next time it will be lunch!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank mrstringbean

North West England
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was lucky enough to be treated to a meal at Cottage in the Wood on New Year Eve by fiancée.

Surroundings: As soon as you walk into Cottage in the Wood you feel at home. You can imagine being in someone’s home – comfortable sofa and a roaring fire.

Staff: The owner (Kath) is so friendly and helpful – nothing is to much bother. She makes you feel at home. The other staff members are also very friendly and very professional

Food:

The canapés were very tasty especially the cheese puffs

The starter of the crab and salmon was lovely. I was worried as I am not keen on either of these ingredients but I could have eaten more.

Game Platter – wee tastes of pigeon, duck and venison. Was very tasty and just the right size.

Scallops – cooked to perfection and amazing with the ham that was served with it.

Gin Fizz – One word to describe this: wow. My only complaint was that I wanted a second (or third) helping!!!!!

Lamb with haggis, neeps and tatties - This was the first time I ordered lamb in a restaurant and it was beautiful. It was a lovely for Kath to ask how we wanted the lamb cooked – and it was cooked to perfection

Goats Cheese cooked in Charcoal – this was lovely and just the right size

Pear Dessert – my fiancée and I are unable to have chocolate so Kath organised an amazing Pear dessert. It was roasted pears with caramelised sugar, pear sorbet on a tulie and a beautiful parfait. This (along with the Gin Fizz) was my favourite course.

This was followed by coffee\tea and homemade lemon turkish delights.

I would recommend the Cottage in the Wood to anyone: amazing food, beautiful surroundings and fantastic staff.

Cottage in the Wood deserves a Michelin star.

• Visited December 2011
Wetherby
“Glorious, and so hospitable”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Just wonderful. The friendliest of greetings, superb service and perfect food. All 5 of us who had the privilege of enjoying a meal here together will remember it as one of our best ever.
Nouvelle cuisine in style, elegantly and imaginatively presented, and most superbly cooked food , be it meat or fish, starter, main or dessert.
Don't go if you want massive portions, but do go it you want top top food and a meal that will linger long in the memory. It is perfect!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Stephcart
sheffield
“stay here”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This place is wonderful, fab food, excellent staff, all perfect.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank fussy47
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cosy atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I dined here with a friend on a cold and wet night. We received a warm welcome form the staff and were seated by a glowing log fire while we made our choices from the good sized menu. The food was very nicely presented and very tasty. Worth a special mention was the Wild Partridge on savoy cabbage which was moist ,succulent and served with a most flavoursome sauce. The cheeseboard was also excellent. The wine list was comprehensive and fairly priced. Service was attentive and friendly. With a tip we paid £100 for two. I will be back when next in the area.

• Visited November 2011