“A FABULOUS PLACE THAT I LOOK FORWARD TO VISITING AGAIN”

The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I've just returned from a visit in the lake District for a family celebration. As part of that, we had lunch in the Cottage in the Wood and I have to say it was probably one of the best meals I've ever eaten. The food was an absolute delight but when eaten looking out over the valley (even though it was cloudy) it made for a truly unforgettable experience. As if that wasn't enough the service we received was outstanding - probably the most attentive and friendly staff I've come across. I'm really looking forward to visiting again so need to think of another celebration!!

1  Thank JJM0601

Reviewed June 16, 2011

We visited The Cottage for lunch on a sparkling clear day in Spring. The simple but imaginative lunch menu was spot on. Well prepared, tasty and with views to die for. Liam and Kath and their staff could not be friendlier and we are planning a night at The Cottage as soon as we can get the children looked after. The evening menu looks like a real treat as do the bedrooms.

1  Thank cumbriancastle
Reviewed June 6, 2011

visited this restuarant for the first time with a business colleague.very nice comfortable and great staff.you could be tempted to brand it a girls profile restuarant food very tasty presentation first class portions ideal if you are on a diet.maybe my choice was flawed i had the belly pork , delicious but the portion was not as big as two standard size matchboxes and compared to my friends chicken portion was quite a disappointment not in taste but in volume terms. all in all would visit again as the food and service quality were excellent hopefully next time i will be more satisfied with my choice.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I totally agree with 'Tessie90'. We went for the 4 course option which we found to be very hit and miss. Our fish starter was by far the most executed dish but the miniscule portion was a let-down. The 'broth' in my main course was bland and the whole thing just didn't work. That said, the service was faultless and, with some executing, this could be a trully excellent restaurant.

2  Thank B_of_Bris
Reviewed April 19, 2011

After reading the rave reviews, we were expecting something really special. Started off well, the location was fantastic, the staff were welcoming and attentive, the restaurant was beautifully appointed with fantasic views over the valley. The disappointing part was the food. Portion sizes were miniscule and food not particularly impressive. Lots of trendy flourishes which didnt add anything to the dishes. I am sure that some people would love this type of cuisine, but to us it seems like we are back to the bad old days of nouvelle cuisine. Not a lot to eat, but a hefty price tag considering we left hungry.
Wine list very good with some reasonably priced, good quality wines

6  Thank tessie90