“Good food, reasonably priced, served quickly.”

The Royal Oak Braithwaite Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Would recommend the pub for both food and good Jennings beer. We had potato skins starters which were full of cheese and mushrooms and came with an equally tasty side salad. Our main courses were from the lighter bites menu but still generous in portions and were as good as the starters. Service was prompt and friendly.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

when i visited the royal oak. myself and my family sat down to what we thought would be a very nice meal, how wrong we were the rump steak i ordered was so tuff i could have resoled my walking boots with it and very expensive for the quality of food on offer, i could not have eaten the steak if i had a steal stomache so took it away for my dog to eat and to my surprise even my dog put his nose up at it.
we will not be revisiting the royal oak again --- so be warned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank julie b
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We have been to this great pub several times for tremendous food and ale.
We stayed within a short walk..
Highly recommended to HPB members.

Very pleasant staff and great memories of the currencies of countries!!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Went here as was told it was dog friendly. Which it is after food finished being served at 9pm! Did not find the staff very helpful or pleasant which is a shame as this is the heart of the village and so close to where we stayed. Food is however good and good value for money

2  Thank fiona604
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I don't usually write reviews, but out experience here was so awful I felt the need.

I love Jennings, so was looking forward to trying this pub. It was obvious from the start that we were unwelcome. No signs of a smile and pompous barman made no effort.

I ordered a chicken curry and it arrived in about 5 minutes. It was basically a chicken fillet in gravy flavoured with curry powder. It had never seen any vegetables, not even an onion. I expect more for £9.50. Came with over-cooked boiled rice and cold oven chips, on a cold plate.

My wife had a dish which came with "sweet potato wedges", these turned out to be cold, huge wedges which were raw in the middle.

Beer was expensive and not up to usual Jennings standard.

Walk up the hill and try the Coledale Inn instead.

4  Thank Mick B