“sunday lunch”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Maryport, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch today after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed ,we both had roast of the day which was roast pork which came with a lovely sausage meat and prune stuffing and cracking and roast potatoes ,parsnips and other seasonal vegetables. Will return.

• Visited November 2013

Whitby, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Returned to Middle Ruddings after an enjoyable first experience. On this occasion, however, we were bitterly disappointed.
Both my husband and I ordered the steak pie which we had enjoyed tremendously on our first visit. This time, however, the meat was tough, dry and didn't resemble braised/stewed steak in the slightest. I KNOW my beef and this was either the wrong cut for the dish or had simply not been cooked long enough. In my opinion they'd run out and had simply flash fried the stewing steak which resulted in tough, gristly meat. I said to our waiter that I was unhappy with the dish and he called over the manager who looked very unimpressed with me, as though I was the fussiest customer ever. I hate complaining so this was really awkward and unpleasant. Our lovely waiter (who was only on his first or second week) returned to us and was agreeing that when he'd taken it back to the kitchen, the meat wasn't right and was tough and unable to be cut through, which confirmed my suspicion and which then called into question the manager subsequently denying that there was a problem. We were given a token £5 off the entire price of the meals (none of which I'd eaten and which my husband had only picked at).
It was a bodge job pie with badly cooked meat and, on being caught out, the response was (at best) apathy and (at worst) aggression. It is really sad because, if handled differently we would have chalked it up to a one-off and returned but after the 'service' we received we will not.
Additionally, the décor and environment is very dated. You end up sitting in a conservatory with no atmosphere whatsoever. Time to invest some money in the dining environment.
Will not be returning.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Luce007
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag.”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a comfortable place to come for a meal. The building is welcoming, with a good fire burning in the grate. They were busy tonight, which is good going for them in the depths of a dark November. We arrived and were ushered straight to our table with little time to view the good choice of real ales on hand pump. The bar area was busy, so fair enough. Our order for drinks and meals was taken pretty quickly by a waiter who got my back up by a formulaic and clumsy routine of calling us young man/lady which just annoyed me, a crabby late 50 year old!
I'll not go on, our meals were good, the wine and beer was good too. We waited far too long for dessert/coffee, and unusually for us, we got so brassed off I asked for the bill at the bar and we paid for what we'd had and left. The coffee arrived as I returned to the table, too late.
The young member of staff at the bar was pleasant in a devil may care way, and I quite liked his attitude.
They just did not seem to able to cope satisfactorily with the number of customers they had taken on that night. There were other tables of customers unhappy on the night as well.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank S997
Staveley, United Kingdom
“Excellent home made food and good quality beer”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A lovely menu full of good old fashioned tempting dishes. Only thing we disliked were the frozen chips. The puddings were delicious and all home made including the sorbets. Definitely recommend the Cumberland Rum Nicky.

Visited October 2013
Leeds, England
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great evening meal”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had a lovely meal here on our last evening when staying at Bisoi suites. The staff were really attentive and friendly and the food was superb. The steak I had was huge and cooked to perfection. My girlfriend chose the lamb which was unbelievably tasty and seemed to last forever! Great choice of ales as well! Price very reasonable. Would definitely return.

Visited October 2013