“Unless you are looking for a camping experience, steer clear of this place. Had a look and left”
Review of Hostal Oloncito

Hostal Oloncito
Ranked #5 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Olon
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My Ecuadorian friends recommended Olon for its beautiful beach and a
short drive to the Montanita restaurants and night life. The Trip
Advisor had 3 excellent reviews of this little hostal Oloncito, with
its own access to to the most beautiful beach, comfortable rooms, and
good food. Sold on the fact that the owners were a German family.
I pictured comfortable rooms, good food, and good service
with European touches (more or less like a little B& B in Banos de
Ambato, of which I wrote the deservedly enthusiastic review).

Well, Trip Advisor gave no information of how to book a room. No
booking sites offered this hostal.either. So, I Googled their web
site, which is http://oloncito.com/en/hostal.html, and which gives
no address of the hostal, but only the following contact information
Tlf.: +593 42780527 Mobile: +593 99335626 +593 96909119
E-mail:info@oloncito.com

Their web site does not give either the address or the room prices.
When I contacted them via emal, I found out that their room price, not
that low for Ecuador, includes also breakfast, dinner, and
coffee/tea/water, all you can drink . Sounded a bit expensive for
Ecuador. And my question about whether I could have only room and
breakfast was not answered. But the quiet beach sounded very
inviting, and the 3 reviews were excellent. So, I made a reservation
for one week, .

However, after many email exchanges, I could not receive either the
hostal address or any clear direction on how to find them, if I
arrived on the bus. Nor whether there is bus station and a taxi stand
in Olon. I kept receiving answers "look at our map. and just just ask,
when you are in Olon, everybody knows the hostal owned by a German
family". My attempt to explain again and again that I had a back
injury and could not be walking around with my suite case, produced no
results. There were no more answers after the original "we have a very
nice room for you, looking forward to meeting you, see you there".

Thankfully, I took a cab from Salinas to Olon. Once we arrived in
Olon, a little town a few kilometers past Montanita, we drove around
for good 20 minutes. The map drawn by the hostal turned out to be of
little use. And no locals knew of the Oloncito hostal. As we drove
around around that dusty little town with unpaved roads, I saw no
restaurants. There was a big football field, as promised by the hostal
map. But the hostal was not to be found. Well, after 3 stops at
different hostals, we practically stumbled upon a little gate on a
very narrow unpaved street
It had a sign.

Thanks to my intuitions, asked the driver to wait until I see the
room. The man who opened the gate, the owner, neither spoke, nor
understood English (which is what their web site promised). Worst yet,
he knew nothing about my reservation, which had been made a week
before. He said that they had problems with the Internet for a week or
so. The dormitory room he showed me certainly was not my idea of the
nice room they had promised, The room no windows, had not been cleaned
in ages, and had the smell of bedding which had not been changed in
months. The man know nothing of the nice room for one person that I
had been promised. And he had no better room for me. To say that he
was friendly would be a great exaggeration.

The yard look untidy and in disrepair. But, yes, there was a gate to
the private beach, which did look pretty good indeed, When I said that
I did not like the room and would not be staying there, the owner did
not even bother to see me off to the gate, I thought t it was the most
awful place and unfriendly place I had seen in Ecuador.

Anyway, unless you are a teenager or looking for a camping
experience, steer clear of this place! It does not deserve the one
star that I had to give it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank movingtoEcuador
UwePeter, Inhaber at Hostal Oloncito, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear
In response to your comments, I would like apologies by saying how sorry I am about your bad experience of the Hostal Oloncito. I have read your comments and taken in your points, and can sympathize greatly at the frustration you must have felt, at first by not finding us and then the disappointment when you found the Hostel not to be what you expected. I would like, if I may to, take a few moments to provide you with an explanation for some of these problems.
Firstly, I must apologize for the lateness of this response. It was not until last October that I started using trip advisor, and so had no idea that it is possible to respond to guest’s feedback. Had I known earlier I would have responded more promptly.
I understand and sympathize that the level of communication around the time of your booking and prior to your arrival was not satisfactory, and for this I must explain. Through-out this period we did indeed experience many problems with our internet connection, and this led to several communication problems, not only with yourself but with a number of clients. In addition to this, in the time prior to your arrival I was also unwell for several days, further affecting my abilities to maintain contact with you. I am glad to say that these problems have now been rectified, and our levels of communication both via email and telephone are much better.
I can understand your disappointment to discover upon your arrival that there was no one that spoke English. I do indeed normally have an employee who speaks English, however at the time of your visit we were in our low season, and this particular employee was taking time off. In our busy times however, I always try to ensure that we have at least one employee who speaks English, and in addition to this I am also currently studying the language myself in order that I am better equipped to cater for my English-speaking clientele.
I also understand that the room was not what you were expecting, and that it did not have a window. On this point I must emphasize that the room most definitely does have a window, however at the time of your visit the garden around which the Hostel is built was rather overgrown, particularly with several bushes and plants in front of the room I showed you, obscuring the light and giving it the feel of a windowless room. At the time of your visit as I mentioned before we were in our low season, a time of construction and repair, which would have given the hostal a state of untidiness, fallen leaves on the paths, etc. I am also glad to say that this issue has now been resolved, necessary works have been completed, and we have now minimized the garden in a manner that maximizes sunlight exposure to all bedrooms.
Again I would like to offer my apologies for these issues and for any others you experienced, and should you choose to return to Ecuador any time I would like to offer you a complementary night free of charge, to provide you with another opportunity to get to know the hostel and take advantage of Olòn and the beautiful surroundings. The Hostal Oloncito is a family hostel, and we are great full for any comments, feedback, or advice on ways to improve both the hostel and the standards of service that you expect from us.

Yours Sincerely
uwe

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hostel is the only place to stay if you come to Olon. The ideal domicile if you are looking for the nightlife of Montanita but want to spend some quiet time on the beach during the day. Olon is only 4 minutes away from the crowded and loud party village of Montanita. Olon has its own beautiful long sandy and quite beach. The hostel is a bit hidden in the settlement Oloncito. Whatever the reason, there are two Hostal Oloncito?! Take the hostel on the left side with the palm of wood as a decoration at the entrance, it’s surrounded by a beautiful garden. The place itself it’s in a very good condition especially compare to other hostels I’ve seen on my way across Ecuador. The owner is a friendly older guy from Germany. I stayed with two friends in one of the seven bed rooms. The rooms are functional and very clean. Each room has a private shower and toilet. They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for a little money, which is great if you are on a tight budget, but we were out and about most days and weren't up in time for breakfast. They offer an interesting cuisine with European and Latin influence. The owner cooks itself. Overall it is a great hostel with a great social atmosphere and a beautiful garden just 50 meters from the beach. There is a TV lounge, kitchen facilities, hammocks strewn up in the courtyard and Internet/Wi-Fi, tea and coffee.
I had a really lovely time here. It was very relaxing and easy to meet other guests. The staff was very helpful and e.g. clearly explained the bus connections to Guayaquil or to St. Elena. If we wanted the owner drove us to Montanita in the evening with his own Buggy. A wild and funny ride! The hostel is highly recommended. Go to Ecuador, I had the time of my life ... so far. Let's see what's coming.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Oliver B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We found the hostal on the internet, as the owners daughter had just created a website. The rooms were lovely, clean and very comfortable, you had separate bathrooms and there was hot water. The landscaping is great and the place has a very chilled atmosphere. The owner, Uber was very friendly and very accomodating. The hostal was only 1 minute from the beach and the beach was beautiful and huge. Everyone goes to Montanita, which is crowded and expensive, with a small beach. Olun is 3 minutes away by car and it is so much better. Quieter, cheaper, cleaner and with a much better beach. I was there with my husband, 21 month old son, mother in law and brother in law. We had 2 rooms next to each other and an outdoor living room, where we could all sit and talk. It's a lovely place and well worth a visit if you're in the area. It was low season, so we only paid $10 per person per night. Uber had thought of everything, there was an area with hammocks and a sandpit and toys for the kids. There was even a waterfall that he'd built and a small avery, with finches, budgies and parakeets, that my son loved.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mishyb_uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olon
Hostal Kundalini
#9 of 12 in Olon
La Casa Naranja
La Casa Naranja
#3 of 16 in Olon

Been to Hostal Oloncito? Share your experiences!