“Best Fish Soup I have ever had”
Review of Bakfickan

Bakfickan
Ranked #5 of 148 Restaurants in Visby
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stopped into this restaurant while on a port of call for the Baltic Sea cruise we were on with Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas. Visby for those of you who don't know it is a small town on the island of Gotland in Sweden. This is where many of the Swedes have their summer cottages. A very quiet place (except when 2000 cruise passengers invade the place LOL). As my friend and I were walking about we were reading the menus of the many restaurants which is something we like to do. Both of us have worked in the hospitality industry and we both love to explore new cuisines. Of the many places we stopped at, Bakfickan seemed to represent a more typical Swedish cuisine. We were not disappointed, we had the pickled herring followed by what I would say is the best fish soup I've ever had. Glad we held out until we found this place. If you are on the island you must try the place. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank HR Dude

Reviewed August 14, 2013

As you pass by Bakfickan, you may think: "Hmm, is this the one...", but once you sit down, taste some of the bread, glass of wine, toast skagen, catch of the day or other hot picks from the menu, you will want to come back. Extremely lockee, like being in your granny's kitchen. They also find a good spot for the prams, if you just let them know in advance. Only drawback during hot summer nights is that it might be a bit tight and hot. This is a must place to eat in Visby! You can find also some other reviews at my blog in www.kid-travels.com

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent and affordable food. Long wait (45 min or sometimes more) as they take no reservations after 6pm. They take reservations before 6pm. Stromming was good and I liked the salty gherkins in the jar, that come as complementary to your fish.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great fish restaurant with local fish on the menu. It's right on the central square in Visby. If you go after 6 pm, it's best to have a reservation. Outdoor limited seating is first come-first served. If you are not visiting any of the fish smokeries on the island, have the smoked shrimp here, or smoked flounder if it is on the menu.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great find with delicious food. Late lunch early dinner catered for at 1600. We had salmon and smoked pork / fried herring - very nice meal with great atmosphere overlooking the Visby Square. Desert delicious rhubarb sorbet with hazelnuts. One of the best deserts I have ever had. Will definitely be returning before we leave Visby!!

1  Thank AdrianHutch