“Lots of animals, birds and amphibians.”
Review of Seoul Grand Park

Seoul Grand Park
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Gwacheon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a really nice zoo that is clean and beautifully laid out. It is also inexpensive. Be prepared to walk a lot but there are so many creatures to see. Our favourite was the nursery where we saw a baby orangutan, chimpanzee, Meer cat and 3 baby tigers.

There are newer reviews for Seoul Grand Park

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visited Seoul Grand Park zoo and had a perfect experience. The zoo is very clean and organized. The animal exhibits are organized by geographical region (African Animals, etc.). There were trams, trains and buses to make the park accessible for all. The fees were very minimal, for a family of 5 we spent less than 40,000 Won on the entire day- food and all.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We are a family of four, we have a 9 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. We went to Seoul Grand Park on Sep 1 2013 and loved it. I would highly recommend taking the subway, line #4, stop SEOUL GRAND PARK. If you exit out of exit 2, you will walk about 1/4 mile to the SGP tram loading/unloading zone. I would recommend paying to ride the tram as the entrance to the zoo is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile uphill (and trust me you are going to be walking uphill enough). The tram cost us 2,700 won. Although the tram area looks busy as all get out, trams came one right after another, only waiting about 30 seconds between trams. They moved us out like cattle! We were pleased with the tram. So, once the tram stopped, we bought our tickets to the zoo (they included a special "theme" ticket allowing us into another attraction, I am all but certain it was the rose garden, but we never made it), and we entered the zoo (9,600 won total, I could NOT believe how inexpensive it was). Ok, once in the zoo, either take the ski lift all the way up to the top and walk down and call it a day, or find a good spot to tighten your walking shoes. The walk to the top is uphill, you will earn your view of the lions and the other "cats", but it is well worth it. I've never been to a zoo that had over 6 lions, not lioness, lions! This zoo has it ALL, from Bison, Bears (so many), Dolphins to Deer. The highlight of the day was the deer eating out of my daughter and son's hand (although it's probably not recommended by the staff, if you have little ones than bring lettuce or carrots, my kids just fed them the green leaves they found on the ground and they ate them). We had absolutely no complaints about this zoo, in fact it blew away our expectations. Bathrooms extremely clean, convenient stores selling soda and snacks for regular prices (not jacked up because it's in a zoo, a soda was 900 won), and such a wide variety of animals. Tip #1 - allow a FULL day here. So, the end of the day we hopped back on the tram and we thought it would take us straight to the loading/unloading area we boarded the tram when we arrived....no. It made one stop at Seoul Land prior to heading back. Tip #2 - there is MORE at the Seoul Grand Park than the zoo!!! Who knew right?? Well, we do and we are definitely heading back soon! We had an incredible day!

2  Thank TEI E
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Before I review the zoo at Seoul Grand Park, I must state it is always my preference to view wildlife in their natural habitat. It is a much more thrilling and worthwhile experience.

As far as zoo's go, Seoul Grand Park offers a variety of animals, with accurate information on the different species. All zoo exhibits are far too small for wild animals. But we should make it clear in modern-day zoos most animals are now bread in captivity or incapable of returning to the wild for a multitude of reasons. Zoo's today are primarily for education, not exhibiting ferocious, exotic, or bizarre animals just for the wow factor. Zoo management can always work to improve the conditions and how animals are "shown" to the public. I am therefore judging Seoul's premier zoo in comparison to others around the world. The zoo is comparable to many in the US, but certainly a peg below the San Diego Zoo in both diversity in species and exhibit quality. Seoul Grand Park is far better than any zoo in China (that I've seen), even with the exclusion of the much loved panda. The exhibits are cleaner, more spacious, and the signboards provide far more information than other zoo's I've visited in Asia (and some in the US).

I enjoyed my time here, the exhibits were often interesting. But like most zoos there were individual exhibits that just needed to be larger and better kept. This is by no means unique to Seoul Grand Park, even in the San Diego Zoo there are old exhibits that need renovation/expansion.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The zoo was easily accessible from the subway station and the website provided the stops and exit information, which was very helpful for foreigners. We were pleasantly surprised by the view and location of the zoo. It was enclosed in a beautiful mountain area. The admission fee was extremely reasonable, but visitors will need to plan on spending an entire day there to be able to experience the whole park. We were there for almost five hours and were only able to see a little over half of the park. The animal exhibits were unbelievable. We saw so many different species of animals. It was a little rainy on the day that we went so some of the events were cancelled. The monkeys had all had babies recently so it was so neat to watch the mothers interact with their children. This is a family friendly place and a must see attraction when visiting Seoul.