“Beautiful location! But...”

Aspect Tamar Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grindelwald
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Location was beautiful, resort was beautiful, rooms big enough and plenty of activities but.... One thing that is worth mentioning is the little sign above the kitchen sink which states that guests have to clean and put away their own dishes on check out otherwise they will be charged $35.00!! We found this gross to think that the last people that stayed in this room possibly just gave the dishes a rinse and chucked them back in the draws! We had to boil the jug and wash each glass before having a drink just so we knew they were clean. We dont mind having to do our own dishes before leaving but it shouldnt be compulsory and there definitley should not be a price to pay if you dont, serioulsy thats what housekeepers are for! Place really needs an upgrade as well, new fridges and fresh milk in rooms would make a difference

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Miss_Ezzy

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Only 20 minutes drive from Launceston, this is a beautiful hotel, staff are nice and helpful, room is big, food are great. I only stayed there for 1 night, we should stay longer to enjoy the great facilities on site. Cherries farm and vineyard are nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed one night with friends from overseas and relly enjoyed it. Had a studio apt which was small but adequate for our needs.Would stay here again when we are next in Tassie.Had dinner here and it was very good

Room Tip: Studio rooms are good but for 2 only and maybe not for any length of time
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

On Wednesday 13th February, I was attending a friend's birthday dinner. We had a party of four, later joined by one other person.

When the waitress came around to ask about our drinks, I asked for a Cabernet Sauvignon and after the blank look of the waitress, I clarified that this was a "red". She then asked me if I wanted a Sauvignon Blanc, to which I replied that that was a "white". She then corrected herself and offered me a Cabernet Merlot, which I accepted as apparently your establishment does not stock Cabernet Sauvignon.

Our orders were a bowl of chips, a seafood basket, a steak and a barramundi with extra vegetables. The barramundi was served on a bed of potatoes, and I asked if I could have extra vegetables instead of the potatoes, but was told flat out that the meals would NOT be changed, hence the side order of vegetables. After some time, the bowl of chips and the seafood basket were served to the table, as well as my extra vegetables side order. We were told that the fish and steak would be a "little while".

Two of our party started to eat, while my vegetables were getting cold as I was waiting for my main of barramundi.

Then my barramundi was served and my friend, who had the birthday, was told that the cook had overcooked her steak (medium!) and had to start again. Meanwhile, the two people who had been served first had already finished their meals. I ate my barramundi and my cold vegetables. My daughter then joined us and ordered a chicken/bacon salad. This salad was delivered before the steak had arrived. My daughter was just finishing off her plate when the waitress came to serve a little dish of avocado dressing which she had forgotten to serve along with the chicken/bacon salad. The salad was nearly finished by that time and the dressing was not used. Finally the steak did arrive. By that time all of us had finished our meals and the birthday girl had to eat alone.

Other than a quick "sorry", and a surprised look when we said we DIDN'T want dessert, no apologies were given for this sub-standard delivery of food and service. Upon checkout we were told there was a 1.5% surcharge on credit card payments, which was the last drop and which prompted me to write this review. I didn't say anything at the time as it was my friend's birthday, she had invited me and I didn't want to embarrass her.

Be honest, if you received such treatment at any restaurant, would you go back? The answer has to be a resounding "NO".

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Louise C
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Aspect is such a beautiful getaway and not too far from the city and Cataract Gorge. The room facilities were clean and modern. The most important thing is the bed, which was incredibly comfortable! Our room included a buffet breakfast which was beautiful and fresh. Aspect has a great range of activities for all ages along with a short walking track to the top of hill where there is just an amazing 360degree view of the Resort and Tamar Valley (make sure you take a camera!) We couldn't fault the staff and service we received during our stay and the value for money is brilliant! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DesperadoNthQld
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stay here on a fairly regular basis for business, and have extended a Friday visit to a weekend at the Resort as well. We have stayed in the Lakeside Spa Chalet, nice location and spacious rooms, but heating and cooling unit was very noisy. It was middle of Winter so we had to have the unit going all night.
The cabins are fantastic for families, with many options on room layouts.
The Hotel section is what we stay in mostly, and is very good. Bathrooms are a bit tired, and in desperate need of an upgrade. As we are corporate VIP's, breakfast is included, but on occasion we have experienced some very unprofessional business practise in the breakfast area. The girls clean down tables straight onto the floor, no matter what substance is laying on the table, and the next customers have to trudge through the mess. Also more anoying is the fact that the hot food bain marees are not refilled in a timely manner to keep the flow of food coming. I left last visit without anything but some fruit, after waiting 25 minutes to get things re filled. And that was a Saturday morning, very busy.
We spoke to the service manager, and she assured us she would address this issue.

Room Tip: Check out hot specials frequently placed on their web site before booking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SomwehereInTheWorld
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were attracted to the kids activity centre. A treat for the kids at the end of our two week trip. A surprise to be told most things had an extra charge (although this wasn't strictly monitored especially the jumping pillow). Over a quarter of the games in the video arcade weren't working - kids weren't impressed with losing their precious coins.
We booked the a 2 bedroom plus interconnected room - near to the amenities however we lost count of the maintenance items (stair handrail broken, key lights blown, towel rail falling off, etc). You would only want the separate interconnected room if you knew your neighbours very well, as we did.
Enjoyed the restaurant.
Indoor pool very heavily chlorinated.

Room Tip: Small room attached to the interconnected two bed units are poorly sound-proofed (our friends heard...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank PeileFamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindelwald
Peppers Seaport Hotel
#2 of 30 in Launceston
Peppers York Cove
Peppers York Cove
#1 of 4 in George Town

Been to Aspect Tamar Valley Resort? Share your experiences!