“Lions with View of Aegean”

Avenue of the Lions
Book In Advance
More Info
$805.15*
and up
4-Day Mykonos Excursion
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Delos
More attraction details
Owner description: An ancient street dating back to the seventh century BC lined with majestic stone lions.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Majestic lions emerge from ruins along the path on Delos, a sacred island sanctuary in the Aegean. Inside the museum nearby, are several more of these majestic lions.

1  Thank Lynn M
"statues"
in 6 reviews
"guard"

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Many statuary were situated along this avenue and a row of lions overlooked it, some of which are displayed as copies on their original platforms. In April the wildflowers highlight the scene.

2  Thank mjrg59
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The walking tour of Delos is incredible. I liked the wine bottles, reconstruction of buildings and the museum. Make sure to have enough time to look closely at all. I looked at a map of Delos after I came home, and it would be very helpful to have one with you as you walk so that you can have a detailed understanding of what existing on this island.a

Take the time to walk through the museum and stop for a snack and beverage at the restaurant. For photographers...this is amazing! I did not go to the top of the mountain due to tour times, but would given enough time.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last summer we went to visit Delos on our summer trip to Greece. It is incredible. Be prepared to walk a lot... Listen to the guide as they are able to put into words what the statues(now very weathered) can't. WEAR SUNSCREEN as I burnt to a crisp (even with 50+ on) and be prepared to be transferred back into time.... A great trip over all

2  Thank tory2468
See more reviews
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had a day in Mykonos on and NCL cruise and frankly, the only reason I booked the Greek Islands was to see Delos and Olympia. I didn't get off the ship in Santorini...simply didn't interest me. If you are into historical sites and history then you'll love Delos. Much of the island had been ransacked over the years that it was unprotected so it's not as impressive as say Ephesus (but really how many places are?). The ferry ride from Mykonos was very enjoyable and I wish I knew our guide's name but he was wonderful and I tipped him for his amazing wealth of knowledge. He has never been out of Greece and never plans to leave...he was a very interesting fellow. Keep in mind that the lions outside are replicas and the true lions are inside the museum. It's still quite impressive to see. If you have the opportunity to walk all the way to the top of the island it's worth it! This is not an excursion for people disinterested in ruins or whiners. If you go in the summer....IT'S HOT. Also having researched the island before I went I knew there was no shade at all and the bathroom is at the end of the tour which is quite long. I went to the bathroom on the ferry and was fine till the end. Bring a hat, folding umbrella that fits in your back pocket, a hanky, water and sunscreen. And don't forget your camera...I had a great time and I hope you do too!

4  Thank giraffedrd