“Heritage Heaven”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirnside Park
Melbourne, VIC
“Heritage Heaven”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

An easy 1 hour drive from Melbourne, you enter the Yarra Valley Lodge through the Golf Course - very Palm Springs like! Lots of retirement homes line the fairways, but they are well designed and blend in with the landscape - a very pleasant surprise. The hotel is located at the back of the complex, and is 5 star. The rooms were large and clean - we were lucky to get french doors onto the grassed gardens - other rooms have balconies. The property boasts sunny communal balconies, which we took advantage of for afternoon wine and cheese platter. A pool table, a bar, a function area and a great restuarant are all located within this main building. A short walk away is the day spa/tennis courts/gym and pool area, which our family loved.
Breakfast buffet was dee-lish and plentiful!
A great little family break, and would definately return!

Room Tip: All rooms in the hotel are either King bed with flip out sofa couch, or a Queen and Double beds. Ve...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to the Yarra Valley.

Anthony LoGiusto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We loved our recent experience at Yarra Valley Lodge. The room was great with wonderful views, a huge bed and a well presented bathroom. The lodge is well located to explore the Yarra Valley.

The staff were really helpful and pleasant, with suggestions for things to do and with directions and information.

Similarly, our dinner at Bella restaurant, was very good, with fabulous food, a reasonable wine list at good prices and staff that were friendly and attentive, without being intrusive.

Our only gripe was the muzak in corridors, from 9 AM (even on a Sunday) to 9 PM. The setting is tranquil. Why destroy it with horrible muzak which was way too loud and intrusive? We tried to have a rest before dinner but all we could hear was the terrible noise in the corridor. What's wrong with allowing the birdsong from outside to provide something natural, if anything was actually required (which it isn't).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BTDMSydney
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

We have recently had a new background music system installed and the volume in certain parts of the building had not been balanced during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that the usually peaceful surrounds were disturbed.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback of your stay and look forward to sharing this with my team. We hope to see you again on your next getaway!

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Yara Valley Lodge is an impressive hotel situated overlooking the amazing Heritage Golf Course. Staff were welcoming and extremely friendly. Rooms are spacious, modern and very clean. Bathrooms are fine although could use a bit of a uplift. Shower was very small. Restaurant and Lodge bar are both great with good food and wines from the local wineries.
Wether you are a keen golfer or looking to explore the beautiful wineries of the Yarra Valley, the Yarra Valley Lodge is a great place to stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coatsy11
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Location, facilities, view, EVERYTHING was fantastic... except the staff. They were extremely short, unfriendly and unhelpful even while my partner was having a bad allergic reaction! However, if you can avoid the staff this place is great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank i_hawk_8
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, June 9, 2013

I was disappointed to read your impressions of our team members and service levels. Since taking over management of the Hotel in February 2013 we have put great effort into the recruitment, training and development of our team and typically receive excellent feedback from our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not up to our usual standard.

I share all surveys with my team and we use this as our platform to make continuous improvement throughout our business. We hope to see you again on your next getaway!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel itself was in good shape, the room we stayed in was nice and the provided breakfast hit the spot but there were a few things which were a downer considering the price of staying at the hotel.

- The carpark is filthy due to a serious bird problem. I noticed that cars parked at the very ends of the corridor were absolutely covered in birds, which flew everywhere when we walked close, so I made sure I parked in the middle but still found my car had heaps of bird droppings on it the next day. I hate to think what would have happened to the cars parked at the ends!

- Music plays in the corridor all day. When I asked about it was turned down, but it's annoying to be hearing music in the background all day while in your room.

- We weren't using it, so it wasn't an issue but the main TV in our room only showed the SBS and ABC channels. The smaller TV in the bedroom showed all channels. This was reported to the hotel as we left.

- When we left there was an error with the bill, we had prepaid and were asked to pay an extra $35. Luckily we had the original confirmation email on us, because it was later than the email quote which the hotel had on system. It was sorted out eventually, but it wasn't a pleasant experience to leave on.

Overall worth investigating, and most reviews are good so we might have had an out of character experience but make sure not to park your car at either end of the carpark!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam W
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback of your stay and look forward to sharing this with my team. The local birds "living" in the car park are a challenge for us and we have recently completed the installation of netting on the ceiling to prevent them from nesting. Whilst the numbers of birds are down to about 10% of what they were 6 months ago, we still have some work to do.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was an overnight stay for a Mother's Day gift. Our top floor garden view room was well appointed and exceptionally presented even though the view was nothing to get excited about.

Reception service was of a high standard and the staff were professional, polite and courteous. The first thing that will be obvious is the absolute peace and tranquility of the area. It seems as though you're a world away from anywhere yet just under an hour's drive from the Melbourne CBD.

If you pick the right time and day you'll see local wildlife around the grounds comprising of kangaroos, the occasional echidna and rosella's. The Yarra River is just a good stone throw away from the hotel and if you love golf, you can swing your clubs around the Jack Nicklaus designed course.

If you don't like dining in at The Lodge, Warrandyte village is a short ten minute drive away where you'll find several good restaurants and the Grand Hotel. A word of warning. The restaurants are closed on Monday nights so you're only option is the pub.

Some previous negative reviews of the Yarra Valley Lodge seem to be unreasonable and not justified. One reviewer mentioned that the guests' carpark as being covered in bird "****". Yes there were a lot of swallows flying about but the car park was clean and the birds did not present any problems.

Another reviewer wrote about mould in their shower. Our shower had some slight discolouration in the grout in some places but it was nothing more than a cosmetic blemish which didn't affect the shower. My only complaint about the shower is that it's a bit on the small size otherwise it's fine.

The only real complaints I have relate to the small flat panel TV in our room. In this day and age, a 32" doesn't really cut it especially when you consider that night time activities at the hotel are non-existent so you have no choice but to watch TV. It therefore makes sense that a minimum 42" TV should be provided. Broadband internet whether it be cable or wireless is provided but at an additional cost of $15.00 for 500mb. This is a service that should be included in the room rate as provided by some other hotels.

The buffet breakfast was quite good with a large variety of food to choose from. The only issue I had was with the hot food which unfortunately wasn't so hot.

I will gladly stay again at the Yarra Valley Lodge if nothing more than to enjoy the peace and quiet and I recommend it as a place to stay. It's exactly what you would expect from a 4.5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms with a view of the gold course are recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank enoone57
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2013

Sydney
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here in mid March for a friends wedding at a nearby winery, stayed for 2 nights and initially thought it was over priced before arrival but I was very impressed with the service here, from reception, through housekeeping and excellent meals from room service.
Had room 317 which had a lovely outlook across the golf course and the surrounding hills, the room and bathroom were very large and comfortable, there were only a couple of small things that were a little off key here, the first was a very dusty top shelf in the mini bar, there was a used bottle of wine in the minibar, which was replaced when the room was serviced and not charged for as I had called housekeeping and they were apologetic. The bath towels look and feel really cheap and could have done with better presentation and they certainly don't match the quality of the bed linen and yes the look of the shower recess could do with some help, maybe a little regrouting in some bathrooms, mine was not too bad though.
On the plus side of this stay, and there were many, the pool at the day spa was fantastic as I stayed on a Thur/fri and left on the sat morning I mostly had the pool to myself, the staff at the day spa were always nice and friendly. During the day I ate out while visiting the local wineries and had room service in the room in the evenings, the meals were excellent, had a delicious steak one night and asked if they could do a pepper sauce for me as it was not on the menu, the waiter said we can do it if the chef had green peppercorns available, my steak with pepper sauce arrived and it was the best. I also had the fish and chips as well as one of their pizzas, nothing dissapointed me.
Some reviewers here said there were problems with birds in the car park, I had a rental car and had no problems. I also felt some reviews were very unkind with remarks not only about the hotel quality but also the staff, this made me apprehensive considering the high room rate they charge, but I did feel it was a very high quality property and I enjoyed what I felt was some well deserved luxury.
One thing that I found off putting on the afternoon I arrived was a visit to the golf club for what I thought could be a quick convenient lunch, they have a tiny dining room at the front for non members and they was a function going on on the otherside of the bar and the non members area was receiving very little attention, tables were dirty and had used plates left on them and there were already 4 people waiting to be served, it just looked like you would be served when they got around to you, so I walked out the door and never went back. I took a drive into the nearby town and had lunch in a little cafe, it's good to see that some peoples businesses are doing so well that they can let potential customers walk out, it seems that the golf course really doesn't want the hotel patrons.
There was a real wow factor from housekeeping the first day they serviced the room, as I travel with my own toiletries when they serviced the room they had neatly arranged my toileties on a face washer, it was just a little touch that looked like someone actually thought about what they were doing.
I would like to stay again on another trip to the Yarra Valley again, hopefully at a better room rate though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Airline_GuySydney

Since taking over management of the Hotel in February 2013 we have worked very hard on deterring the birds from nesting in the car park and we are nearing completion of re-grouting/re-siliconing the bathrooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirnside Park
Yarra Valley Grand Hotel
#2 of 3 in Yarra Glen
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
Yering Gorge Cottages

Been to Yarra Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!