Yarra Valley Lodge
$99
$97
Travelocity
  • Pool
Victoria House Motor Inn(Croydon)(Great Value!)
$123
$104
Agoda.com
York on Lilydale(Mount Evelyn)
$89
CountryPlace(Kalorama)(Great Value!)
$120
$117
Hotels.com
Ringwood Lake Inn(Ringwood)(Great Value!)
$88
$150
$144
Priceline
$256
$223
$100
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgolf courseyarra valleybuffet breakfasthigh teaplay golfroom serviceconference venuegolf viewroom was largebeautiful surroundingshotel restaurantpleasant staymini barcourse dinnerstayed here for one nightupon checkking bed
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The setting for the Yarra Valley Lodge is beautiful and the rooms are large with a sofa and two armchairs, our room had a lovely view out over the golf course. The king size bed is really comfortable and there is a pillow menu. However this hotel is let down by its rather souless ambiance, poorly trained (but friendly) staff and the pretentious attitude of the associated golf course.

The room has a massive bathroom with lovely toiletries but a pokey little shower that was decidedly grubby round the edges. Yuck!

The hotel feels soulless - it would be fine to be there for a large function - indeed we had a good fun evening and so did the wedding party next door, but it wouldn't be my choice for a romantic weekend break. It is something to do with the design and layout all along one massive corridor, like a 1990's Chinese hotel. They had clearly had some interior design help - green apples in a bowl on arrival were a nice touch, but despite the setting, it misses something.

Far from being lucky for house guests to be able to access the two private 18 hole championship golf courses, guests will find that the Private Golf course are so up themselves about access for their members that I doubt house guests rarely get a look in. When we rang to enquire we were told that the only time lots available were in the afternoon, we had to check out at 11am and as soon as you were non resident you are not eligible to play... So you need to plan ahead and pre book or be disappointed... If you want to pay $125 for the privilege of joining the members.....

The food was ok but having to search out staff when you needed something like a knife or water or the basics that should have been there in the first instance....remind you that recruitment and retention of staff might be an issue. Or do they just have too any big functions happening at the same time that they can't cope? And please as others have remarked in Melbourne's coffee society don't make people pay extra for a decent coffee at breakfast. Or WIFI come to mention it!

For a 4.5 star hotel at $240 per night (this was a group rate!) you are left feeling the hotel over priced and over rated.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Little W
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent stay with us. I review all guest feedback with my team and will use your comments to make improvements within our business.

Having recently re-branded from the Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley to Yarra Valley Lodge, we are looking forward to the challenge of revitalising the property and bringing back a more regional feel that will flow through from our rooms to the wonderful Bella Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit the Yarra Valley.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am so disappointed; this review has taken me almost a year to write. Before I continue, note that I am not one of those people that leaves negative reviews for no reason, look at my other reviews, they are all positive.

So...I got married in the Yarra Valley. I had 50 guests needing accommodation, so I arranged with this hotel to have the guests stay here. As our wedding was finishing at 11.00pm, I arranged with the hotel that the bar would be open for the guests when they returned (I had booked a bus to drive everyone back to the hotel).

I rang up a week before to confirm the bar would be open for the guests. I was told it definitely would be.

I rang up 2 days before the wedding to confirm the bar would be open for the guests. I was told it definitely would be.

When we arrived back at the hotel, a bit after 11.00pm, the staff member on duty told me that of course the bar was closed, as the hotel was not licensed to be open at that time. I said I had confirmed it 3 times that it would be open, he shrugged his shoulders and said, not possible, we are not licensed. We had 50 people expecting to be able to have a few drinks to continue the wedding celebrations, but we were told that we could not utilise the bar. What annoyed me the most was that the person on duty did not care at all. He had no empathy that this was our wedding and all he said was that it was not possible that I could have been told the bar would be open.

As a side note, when I made the booking the lady who took my call said they would have champagne, chocolates and flowers in our room for us. This was never received.

As I mentioned, we had over 50 people staying there at almost $200 a night, so we spent a lot of money at this hotel and we were all extremely disappointed.

I know that I (and most likely the 50 guests) will never stay at this hotel, or a Sebel hotel every again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank chicken_features
GMYVL, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

On the 1st February 2013 the Hotel formerly known as The Sebel Lodge Yarra Valley was re-branded to Yarra Valley Lodge and is now operated by Austpac Hotels & Resorts.

Whilst our liquor license has certain time limits in place, we are able to accomodate guests staying with us in our bars and restaurants past these set times. Additionally, we have a number of private spaces and lounges that we make available to conference and wedding groups for this purpose where you can self cater or have us look after you.

I hope that your former experience with the Sebel will not prevent you from choosing to stay at Yarra Valley Lodge.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Though we did not expect it to be that far from melbourne, the location of the - now know as - The Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley is really nice. If you love golf, this is the right place for you to stay. We played only the firt nine holes and it was not cheap (90AUD per person but incl cart adn club hire) but really worth it and you are only allowed to play the course when you are a member or stay in the hotel. Also the rooms and hotel itself met our expectations, luckily it was off season and we really got a good deal. Staff was very friendly. We also tried the steam room and swimming pool which is a few minutes walk away from the main property but also quite nice and not really crowded. Can really recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bella1106

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit the the Yarra Valley.

The hotel was formerly known as The Sebel Lodge Yarra Valley and now, under the operation of Austpac Hotels & Resorts, has been re-branded as the Yarra Valley Lodge.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We book a night in child free for a good nights sleep. We arrived and found we were in a room close to a wedding venue. We called up and explained that we were here to sleep and the front counter staff upgraded us to a quiter area of the hotel. Asleep at ten in a lovely king size bed and slept in. Mission accomplished thanks to the attentive counter staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Got a mystery deal on Wotif.com, ended up paying $159 for an overnight stay which included breakfast for two. For that price, it was good value - I don't know that I would have been happy with the usual price tag ($400+). We had a corner room on the ground floor, which was probably a bit bigger than the standard room (had a quick glimpse in another room as they were making it up), king size and very comfortable bed; huge bathroom, double basin, shower and bath. Toiletries provided were Appelles Apothecary and very nice. There was a couch and two armchairs as well as a desk and chair; a little outside terrace also had chairs to sit on. The floors above us had little outside balconies, and quite possibly nice views out over the surrounding countryside. We didn't hear a thing overnight, the rooms seem very soundproof. Check in and check out were smooth and pain free. We had dinner in the restaurant (choices of two or three courses) after a swim in the indoor pool. Breakfast was a buffet and had a great choice of foods, thought it was really good. You could be really healthy or a piggy! But if you want any coffee other than the standard percolator type, it'll cost you another $4 per cup - which I thought was a bit mean, given the price that a lot of people would have paid to stay there.

Room Tip: If you'd like a view, ask for a room higher up; for a bigger sized room, get a corner one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple