“Very unsatisfied customer”
Review of Yarra Valley Lodge

Yarra Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirnside Park
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Requested an early check-in today due to attending an event and told via phone that the room would be available for us. 8 customers booked in BEFORE us who did not request early check-in (as confirmed by speaking with the guests)
Very frustrating and unpleasant experience.
STILL sitting outside waiting to be checked in.
Not the typical service I receive as a frequent traveller when advised early check-in is available.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Reviewer981
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to the Yarra Valley.

I was disappointed with your comments as they relate solely to your arrival experience and not your stay at the hotel. Please accept my apologies that we were not able to provide you with an early check-in.

We hope to see you again on your next getaway!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here during the week for a night away without the kids. We booked a summer special- which was great value for money. The location was great to explore the Yarra Valley & an easy getaway the next morning back to the city.
We booked a Valley View room on the 3rd level- was extremely disappointed as it was a glance of the valley but instead a 'view' of the golf car park & with people leaving at the end of the day- Extremely noisy!!!
The rooms were extremely spacious & clean.
We had dinner at Bella's Restaurant- the meals were of high standard- very small though & a touch pricey- you could easily order 3 courses- but be left with a massive bill & as they're nothing close by to the hotel (unless you want a bit of a drive) people are going to eat there.
Breakfast the next morning was simple but nice- nothing impressive just what you would expect from a standard buffet breakfast.
I would agree with previous comments about getting an outdoor pool- it would certainly help the property.
Overall we enjoyed our stay & keeping in mind what we paid per night thought it was value for money. A 4 1/2 star property I would not agree with. But next time if they had another special we would certainly rebook.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Only 45mins from the city yet you feel you are in the heart of the countryside. Excellent food and service.
I would love to have an outside liesure pool to relax on loungers and sun bathe while my husband plays golf. This would be an extra bonus and I am sure would increase income for the complex.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had stayed at the Sebel Yarra Valley for 3 nights into the weekend.

We had a conference for a couple of hundred people over 3 days. I found the property was great, but a little far away. I live in Melbourne, so that is my problem, but would be great as a getaway for interstate travellers.

The rooms were clean and spacious. Good Views of the property. Food was good, but was buffet style.

The service was great, but some issues with bar staff and RSA.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Matthew C
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback following your conference with us.

I note your comments regarding bar service and the responsible service of alcohol and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you more on this. Could you please advise the best e-mail address to contact you on by sending me a note at anthony_logiusto@yarravalleylodge.com?

I look forward to sharing your comments with my team and hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Before booking my stay here I asked the girl I spoke to on the reservations line whether the property had a spa bath/jacuzzi, using very specific language to describe what I was talking about as I did not want my question confused with the "Day Spa" facility that I knew the property has attached to it. I was told that yes, there was a spa for guests to use. Great!
When I was put through to the actual property to make some further enquiries, I spoke to a young man who also told me there was a spa, as well as a pool and steam room for guests to use. Great!
When I rang to book, I asked the lady I spoke to the same question, and even found out that the pool is heated to approximately 30 degrees, while this supposed spa, that is included in my tariff, is heated to a slightly higher temperature. Great! Just what I needed after some recent health scares - a nice modern place in natural peaceful surroundings, with grounds for walking, a swimming pool if I feel up to it, a steam room, and a spa bath to relax in!
When I got down to the swimming pool (seperate to the main hotel building - about 4-5minutes' walk away), I couldn't find a spa, so I asked and was told there was NO SPA BATH! Or at least none for guests to use, though apparently there was one in the overpriced Day Spa facility which could be booked for use before the facility shuts at 6pm (the swimming pool and steam room stay open until 8pm). I had a brief look around the day spa facility and couldn't see a spa bath anywhere anyway.
This might be a small thing, but it really disappointed me, and put quite a dampener on my stay here. Nothing was done to lift my spirits following this disappointment, as there had clearly been incorrect information provided to me. The only attempt at recompense was provided by the pleasant staff member (possibly of Sri Lankan or Indian descent - my apologies for not remembering his name!) who offered to arrange a bottle of sparkling wine for me, however I declined this as I don't really drink much alcohol.
Anyway, apart from that, the Sebel Heritage was a modern hotel situated on the grounds of a golf course, with many houses located in the vicinity too - some are probably permanent residents, and some would be the holiday homes of wealthy golf afficionados. Staff were generally very professional and pleasant (though I did overhear the young lady at the swimming pool reception use one profanity while speaking to another staff member on the phone.)
Breakfast at Bella restaurant was very good, cooked to order eggs etc. were included alongside a good selection of buffet items. The cold salmon quiches were fantastic!
Rooms were clean and comfortable, though the lighting was a little difficult to figure out initially. Unfortunately my room on the top (3rd) floor didn't have much of a view, and had very poor hot water pressure in the bathtub - patience was a virtue here and I eventually got to have a hot bath in substitute for a spa!
The design of the bathroom tap/faucet was not well thought out, as it was too short for the sink and made hand washing a little difficult.
The selection of TV channels was adequate, but I noticed the new digital free-to-air channels were not available... only the main free-to-air channels, and some Pay-TV channels.
Internet was not included in the tariff - something I have grown accustomed to after extensive travels throughout SE Asia - and I would have expected internet access to be included in a so-called 1st world country such as Australia! Instead paid internet access was available, I believe the rates were about 55 cents a minute, capped at $29 per 24 hours. Ridiculously expensive!
Overall though, this was a nice place to stay for a relaxing night or two, located far enough out of Chirnside Park to feel like you're out of the city, but close enough to be within an hour of most parts of eastern and southern Melbourne. Everything worked, and if you can get a good deal on Wotif or Travelzoo with breakfast included for around the $159 mark, then it can be a nice getaway. It's certainly no eco-lodge, but the wetland walking trail around the Yarra River is pleasant enough to enjoy and give you a feeling in most parts of being out amongst nature, while the function rooms make the Sebel Heritage a good place for conferences also.

Room Tip: Ask for a valley view room, the garden view rooms didn't have a particularly impressive view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robol

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent getaway.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were provided with incorrect information regarding the spa.

I look forward to sharing your comments with my team and to welcoming you back to the hotel when next you visit the Yarra Valley.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was informed that Sebel did not recognise or accept my Advantage Plus Card and at the restraunt I found this most confusing as I booked the accomodation on the Accor Advantage Members site, so the week end was rather expensive the restaurunt was delightful and the room lovely but the staff there were embarrased as I was in presenting my card. consequently I will ring any future bookings to see if the Advantage Plus Card is accepted as we did not get any reward points which is the major ttraction to the membership. we reported this to accor andthey did noy wat to here of it.so we wll rideout the year cautiuosly and will not rejoin. our sentiments will be passed on to those who ask.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
SebelYV, General Manager at Yarra Valley Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sebel Yarra Valley Lodge on your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies that you were unable to utilise your Advantage Plus membership benefits during your stay. Whilst we are affiliated with the Accor network under a franchise arrangement, we do not participate in their loyalty program.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next getaway.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Situated in the middle of nowhere, but at the gateway to the Yarra Valley, this makes a good quality base for exploring the wineries and the beautiful valley scenery. The huge manicured complex incorporates a Golf Club with 2 courses and a Spa Retreat, as well as private condos. In general, staff were friendly and helpful, with smooth express check-out a welcome feature. However there was one small issue - our previously made phone booking for dinner at Bella Restaurant seemed to cause them some confusion before we were finally seated and when we wanted to leave and put the cost on the room bill, they could not find our table order. It was as if we had not been entered in for anything and they even referred to us by the wrong surname. Eventually all was sorted. The food was very good, but a small gripe about the wine glasses. Ours appeared to be the only table with clunky backyard standard glassware, not very nice to savour a $70 bottle of red. They were changed over after we mentioned it. Staff service at our table was inconsistent, one moment over-attentive, the next we were abandoned and ignored. Breakfast would have had to be one of the best Australian buffets we have experienced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, but not right near the golf members car park - they start very early...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz S

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sebel Yarra Valley Lodge on your recent getaway.

I was disappointed to read that your dining experience in Bella Restaurant was not up to your usual standard and will personally follow up with our Restaurant Manager and the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Yarra Valley.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirnside Park
Yarra Valley Grand Hotel
#2 of 3 in Yarra Glen
Eltham Gateway Hotel & Conference Centre
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa

Been to Yarra Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!