We booked a two night Golf and Pamper Package over Christmas, with a Seafood Buffet on Christmas day and our review is based on the whole package. We booked golf for 1pm but arrived at the hotel about 11am, we called into the Pro Shop to check if we could play earlier and were informed by a very rude young man that it was member’s competition and we couldn’t possible play in this time. We then arrived at reception and were curtly informed by the receptionist that check-in was 2pm and our room wasn’t ready. We said we were playing golf at 1pm. The senior male in reception phoned house-keeping and very quickly handed us our room key and booked the restaurant for that night. The hotel room was on the 3rd floor (top) with a small balcony over-looking the golf course. The room was large, very clean and well equipped, no complaints about the room. We arrived for golf and we were greeted by a very friendly and efficient gentleman, our clubs were quickly brought to the cart and we were given directions where to go. Although there was a course marshall, the play was very slow, with not many players in front of us. The greens were in very bad condition, we mentioned this in the pro shop after our game and were informed they had a problem with chemicals. We were not informed of this before we played and at $110 each that is unacceptable. It was a beautiful hot day and after golf we decided to have a beer outside over-looking the 18th green – to our shock we were told by the barman that the outside area was for members only, we could have a drink in a small, dark room at the back of the bar. When we were ready to forget about drinks we were reluctantly told we could sit out-side. While we understand member only areas in a members club, we do not want to feel like ‘second class’ citizens after paying for an expensive hotel and golf package. The menu at Bella restaurant on Christmas Eve was limited, but the food was very good, highlight was the snapper in hot and sour consommé. The waitresses were very friendly, professional and efficient. The hotel itself lacks an atmosphere or “heart”. The only bar we could find had a pool table in it and there was nowhere to just relax over a coffee and read a book. The Christmas buffet ($160pp) was slightly disappointing, there was no Christmas atmosphere, music or even a maitre ‘d. The waiters and waitresses did a great job. There was a good selection of food but the blue swimmer crab was flaky and crumbly and shell soft (possibly ex-frozen ?). The turkey was nice but too much stuffing in the middle. The ham was delicious. We had a lovely pamper session before we departed. At $1,200 for the two nights, we left feeling disappointed with the overall package.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Positioned at the gateway to the Yarra Valley, Yarra Valley Lodge is a world class resort offering guests total luxury, surrounded by two championship golf courses. Take advantage of the hotels location on the doorstep to over 100 wineries. Exuding the warmth and timeless appeal of a private lodge, 102 spacious and superbly appointed guest rooms and conference rooms await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Yarra Valley Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley Hotel Chirnside Park
- Sebel Heritage Yarra Valley Melbourne
- Yarra Valley Lodge Australia/Chirnside Park, Victoria