“Modern, great location opposite the beach, good facilities, average service.”

Mantra Ettalong Beach
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ettalong Beach
“Modern, great location opposite the beach, good facilities, average service.”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a few nights away with my young family in the school holidays. I was looking for a quiet weekend away with not much to do so that we could totally relax. There was a Day spa on site but bookings fill quickly so book in advanced as I couldnt get a booking. The pool is nice although cold at this time of the year (autumn) it would be great if it was heated, there were about 20 kids crammed into the spa for this reason. There are a few cafes in the area and there is a club next door that has good food. It's quite noisy at night with people in the streets and at the nearby pubs. We were in the 6th floor but could hear a lot at night. The hotel staff were friendly at check-in but not that forthcoming with information when trying to ask about local dining and attractions but there is lots of information and brochures in the lobby and the town is quite small so we found some places to dine. It's just across the road from the beach so a great location with easy access. The hinterland view also looks over the car park so I suggest paying a little more to get the oceanview, I think it would have been nicer. The phone system went down in the hotel when I was there so I had to call the day spa on my mobile as i couldnt call internally in the hotel. There was also an incident where police and paramedics were called whilst we were there. There was no explanation or followup from the hotel. I was quite uncomfortable sleeping there that night even with the police presence and having my young family there.

• Stayed May 2013
FOM2257, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Ettalong Beach, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Jacqui_Wright,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mantra Ettalong View. Whilst it is evident that there were some aspects of your stay that you did not enjoy it is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our location and the hotels facilities.
Unfortunately the phone system did malfunction over the weekend however we made every attempt possible to advise our guests of the issue by placing signs within the lifts and ensuring each guest was provided with a letter explaining the issue.

Regarding your comments in relation to an incident that occured during your say this was a private room not Managed by Mantra and we are unable to comment except to say that the matter was attended to by the police who also advised that there was no cause for alarm for the safety of guests and residents.

Mantra Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I suppose it's not the fault of this hotel that there is nothing to do in Ettalong, but I couldn't wait to leave. There appears to be no hot water between 12-midnight and approximately 5am. The first night I discovered this, I rang reception. Unfortunately, like many places in Australia, there is really no staff on at night, so although the person was very sympathetic, there was little she could do. However, it continued to be the case that for each of my five nights, I had to ensure I had availed myself of the Spa Bath (jacuzzi) before the hot water mysteriously ran out. It is also unpleasant that there is no cleaning service unless you stay long-term, in which case you are pampered with a service every eight days. You can imagine what a jacuzzi might look like after eight days of foam bath and luxuriating. So I cleaned it myself. I must say the room was presented to me very clean, but to only clean a bathroom every eight days is, to me, frankly disgusting.

There is no dishwasher, and the cooking facilities consist of two solid electric rings of the type that were common in 1950s inner city council houses.

After a month's slog in Sydney, I thought I was going to pamper myself in a beach location with a jacuzzi. I did some dishes and cleaned a bath.

It was cheap, though. For a reason.

The staff were helpful and friendly.

It was pointed out to me by Mantra Reservations that once I had booked with them, and despite having just spent thousands of dollars in Sydney, once I had checked into a property, they no longer wanted to know me, and I was to take it up with the property concerned. I gather from this that Mantra is a portmanteau of properties branded by "Mantra" and with a central reservations number, but widely varying in quality. Caveat emptor, as they say.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone seeking anything other than the most basic of accommodation.

Room Tip: Car Park View rooms on the second floor (US) or first floor (UK) might be above the gym. That might...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manager1211, General Manager at Mantra Ettalong Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear McGreedy We appreciate your comments after your recent stay with us. We are at a loss as to why there was no hot water in your room as we did not receive calls from any other guests.
The competitive price for the rooms reflects no service however if you required a service this could have been obtained for a fee by contacting reception.
Whilst there was some aspects of your staf which were not enjoyable it is also pleasing to read that our staff were friendly,helpfull and your room was clean. We appreciate feedback and this give us an opportunity to continue to focus on a contniuous improvement program

With Thanks

The Mantra Ettalong Team
Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Rude staff, stains, dirty dishes, cockroaches, music blaring from the saturday night disco from the war memorial club, someone got shot a few floors above us. Need i say more.

We have stayed at mantra hotels across Australia and all are fine but arriving at this one you walk onto the balcony to see a couple of very old plastic chairs, a wonky table and an ash tray.

Fire alarms will wake you every morning from someone, somewhere burning their toast. Just a shambles.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wils2526840
Manager1211, General Manager at Mantra Ettalong Beach, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Wils2526840
Thank you for your reply regarding your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to read that you were totally dissatisfied with your stay.
Your comments regarding the outdoor furntiure will be passed on to the Owners as these units are privately owned. Your other matters relating to the room and the Club have been passed on to the relevant Managers. It is unfortunate that the fire alarm went off however we have no control over these incidents.
Regarding your comments in relating to an incident on Friday afternoon as this was a private room not Managed by Mantra we are unale to comment except to say that the matter was attended to by the police who also advised that there was no cause for alarm for the safety of guests and residents.

With Thanks

Management Team Mantra Ettalong Beach
north nowra
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Couldn't fault this Hotel - Service was great, helpful & knowledgeable Reception staff, answer all our enquires about places to go and where to eat! Rooms were clean and modern! The only thing i would say we couldn't get rooms with an interconnecting door when travelling with our friends!

Room Tip: beach room, pool view or acces rooms would be my pick, but on a cheaper room the hinterland views ar...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FOM2257, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Ettalong Beach, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear NorthNowraCorinne14,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay at Mantra Ettalong Beach. From the sounds of your review it sounds like you really enjoyed your stay and we do hope to welcome you back again very soon.

NSW
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After attending a wedding reception at nearby Umina Beach Surf Club, my husband and I stayed the night at the Mantra Ettalong Beach. Our room did face the Hinterland which was a nice view, but, did overlook the carpark. For a longer stay I would prefer a different view. The room was a good size and very comfortable. It is a quiet location, so a good nights rest is assured. Next door to the Diggers club means a meal and drink close by and we spotted a Thai restaurant on the other side of the carpark which was popular. We enjoyed the kitchen facilities of the studio room. We did not use room service. There is a chance to walk along the water across the road and the surf beach at Umina is a walk away. The room has a spa bath and good size bathroom, shower is over the tub. Without being amazing this is a good spot to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear crossbordertraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Mantra Ettalong Beach.
Next time you come to stay I would recommend the deluxe suites which all have a view looking over the pool area. We hope to have you as return guest very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We escaped to the Central Coast for a Mums and kids getaway this school holidays and we all had a fabulous time! The apartment rooms were great - spotlessly clean and all the mod cons including a kitchenette which came in handy for snacks, etc. The view from our Hinterland one bedroom suite was lovely - mountainous and quiet. Our room was on the 5th floor which provided a great view. The pool was great, so large but the only downside was that it wasn't heated, so the kids spent most of the time in the spa. There are plenty of lovely cafes and restaurants located very close to the apartments - Hatters and Coast were our favourites. A lovely stay!

Room Tip: Definitely worth the one bedroom suite upgrade! It provided a separate living area and the option t...
Dear, Shannon263

Thank you so much for the great review we genuinely appreciate receiving such wonderful reviews and knowing that our guests really enjoyed their stay with us. Regarding your comments on the pool we would like to advise you that the pool is heated year round so our guests are able to make full use of our facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We looking forward to a weekend away with my family and was really excited about our visit to Ettalong. Our room was neat, clean and tidy. We had the hinterland facing room, it didn't bother us that our room faced the carpark. The bathroom was neat and spacious. The spa bath was absolutely wonderful. The heater/ thermostat didn't work.

Two things that irked us -
1/ we asked for a cot. Reception explained to us it was like a portable cot, not made of wood etc.
We didn't realise a portable cot is really a playpen with the base not suitable for baby sleeping. Base doesn't look comfortable and I did not place my baby in it though I had already paid for the cot cost of $40. In the end, my baby and I slept on the queen size bed and my husband slept on the couch.

In hindsight we should have turn away the cot when it arrived at our room and asked reception for a refund. We thought we could make it work, but sadly not, even after we asked for extra blankets to make the base more comfortable for my baby to sleep in.

2/ We had to go through 2 doors to get into our room. When you have a baby, pram it isn't convenient especially when they are heavy doors. Basically not young family friendly.

Would I return - not likely. I have a growing young family and its not friendly in this manner.

1 Thank Thong_Joy
FOM2257, Guest Relations Manager at Mantra Ettalong Beach, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Thong_Joy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mantra Ettalong Beach. It is disappointing to hear that you found some aspects of your stay to be below your expectations.

Please be assured that we take every step possible to make your stay as comfortable as possible so it is disappointing to hear that you were not satisfied with the porta-cot that was provided. Your comments will be passed onto higher management for their review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettalong Beach
Ettalong Beach Tourist Resort
#2 of 2 in Ettalong Beach
Pullman Magenta Shores Resort
Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance

Been to Mantra Ettalong Beach? Share your experiences!