“Very disappointing reception personnel on arrival”

BIG4 Adelaide Shores Caravan Park
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After booking and paying a deposit for 2 x premium ensuite sites in February and several phone calls prior to arrival in September to ensure we had 2 sites together, on arrival we were told that one party had a premium ensuite site the other one row back and not a premium site, a computer error was blamed for this, the receptionist was most unapologetic and could not have cared less, we were not just staying overnight we were staying for 2 weeks. Apart from the very poor booking control the park is great, location is fantastic, the park restaurant has great meals and well priced. The Ensuite facilities are looking a little tired. Let's hope Adelaide Shores can solve there Computor "problems" in the future!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank RossLyon

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Loved every minute of our week long stay. From the laundry to the playground every thing was clean, neat and tidy. We will be coming back for sure and staying longer. The size of the park is huge and the many different types of accommodation would suite anybody.
Loved it

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Joarcadia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

stayed here as a group as part of a large sporting organisation.
first time to adelaide.
great location.
clean.
great facilities.
kids would love it here.
id have no hesitaion returning with my family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TroyboyM
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My family and I have just returned from a weekend at Adelaide Shores. Check in was a breeze, and as we arrived by taxi we were taken to our 'Tourist Cabin' on the parks golf buggy. We stayed in one of the Dune Cabins and it was good, clean, three bunks, 1 double and a fold out double couch if required, All linen including towels was included in our $134p/n rate. Could maybe have done with more than 1 spare pillow, but not really a big issue.
It also had a full ensuite and kitchen which had all the basic items required. There was complimentary coffee/tea/sugar and a small long life milk in the fridge. We were there for a family wedding so several members of the family stayed in a variety of different sites. I understand one family member requested standard cabin (no ensuite/toilet) be near a toilet block as they were travelling with 5 small children who would need several trips to and from the toilet during the night. They got their request, unfortunately the toilet/shower block was closed for repairs :/ So there are still a couple of things that the park's management could improve on.
The situation of the park is second to none, right on the beach (although because of the gale force winds there was a lot of erosion on the beach and it had been closed).
As we didnt' stay long we can't give a comprehensive review of the cafe or shop, but there was plenty for the kids to do.
It is a fair distance from the nearest local supermarket, shopping strip, certainly not walkable with a load of groceries, but do-able if you have a vehicle to get around in.

It's also pretty much directly under the flight path of Adelaide Airport, so expect some noise from about 6am in the morning to late (got to admit tho, after the first few I didn't notice the noice so much).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank meteroite
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here whilst on a sports trip and enjoyed the fabulous location, sitting on the deck of my cabin, listening to the sea and watching the sunset was stunning.
The facilities were excellent and the cafe fed us each nice with a lovely filling meal. The staff were very helpful and I enjoyed my week long stay, it almost felt like I was on holiday. I stayed in an older cabin which is probably due for a little update but friends were in the newer cabins which were very nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Bewitched11
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here on a powered site with our 2 small children in a caravan. This was our third stay at this park. We found every thing from checkin, staff, amenities and grounds excellant. The camp kitchen is awesome. We would not hesitate in recomending this park. The kids loved the extensive play grounds and jumping pilows. If in adelaide i wouldnt stay any were else!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Invy1
Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Our visit to Adelaide Shores Caravan Park was appalling from the start.
Our dissapointing stay at Adelaide Shores began from Day1;-

When we arrived we were sold a Big4 Membership for $50 to be told that we couldnt use it for our stay OR at the campsite shop (so an absolute waste of $50 especially when we were on a tight budget).

We were quoted prices of $25 a night for an unpowered site for a tent (no car) but on arriving and booking our stay (which was originally intended to be 1month) we were quoted $36 per night for an UNPOWERED site(or so we thought)! We reluctantly paid the first week to see how the stay went. We were booked onto one site but upon arrival (on foot) with all our belongings at the site we found a caravan parked on it (so they had obviously quoted us for a powered site). When we returned to reception they said they double booked us and moved us to another powered site next to the Garbage bins which were full complete with flies and ants covering the bins. When we asked if we could get a different site and unpowered as we didnt need the electricity the receptionist pulled her face as though we had spat at her but still put us on a powered site at $36 a night! We were well aware that the site offered unpowered sites and later on inspection found that many where vacant!

The group kitchen/BBQ facilities were DISGUSTING with bird droppings all over the floor,tables,kitchen counters, fridge, BBQS. The BBQs , which are supposed to be cleaned after use, were all covered in grease, fried food and as mentioned above bird droppings, with pigeons pecking at the debris.

It clearly states in the kitchen area to label food or it will be thrown away by staff which is fair enough but after labelling our food on 3 SEPERATE occasions (we had done a full shop on each occasion) all our food was thrown out... Once our cooler bag, labelled with our food inside it was also removed!! We decided to keep our food with us after the 3rd time which was difficult in a 2 man tent with no power for a fridge or cooling system.

The shop on site is utterley outrageous: nothing in the shop is labelled with prices but when I asked the assistant on the till the price of a couple of items she pulled her face and practically 'snapped' at me as though I was taking the .... But nobody purchases items without knowing the price surely?! As not to annoy the assistant since it was too much trouble to ask for prices we settled on a croissant and a fruit bowl (which we didnt aclaim the prices for infortunately) the total came to $26.00!!! We were EXTREMELY shocked and decided not to shop there again but decided to take the 45minute walk (since we didnt have a car) to the nearest Foodland EVERY DAY (since our food kept getting thrown out at the caravan park) to save ourselves a hell of alot of money!

In the first few days of staying on the site there were a couple of incidents involving youths not staying on the campsite... The first was where one night as we were just getting to sleep, someone ran past our tent and seemed to be lingering around outside of it a couple of times. My partner eventually decided to investigate the minor problem to see who was lingering outside our tent to find a couple of teenage youths wandering around the campsite and when asked if they were staying on the campsite they laughed and ran off shouting no!

The second incident involving youths was again as we were getting to sleep we could here someone lingering around our tent. It was the middle of the night and frightened for our safety my partner went out to investigate. When he got outside there was noone around but all of our fishing gear and a couple of other belongings which was tied securely to the back of our tent had been stolen!! My partner walked around the site to see if he could see anyone with our belongings and came across a plain clothed police officer (aparently) who had no idea of the youths running around the campsite and stealing peoples belongings! It was unsettling to know that a stranger had been in our immediate vacinity and could steal our secured things without being detected- extreme lack of security! We were quite paranoid staying on the campsite after that incident.

I found the showers clean and powerful which is good HOWEVER there was one time when I was taking a shower early morning when I had a knock on the cubicle and a mans voice shouted out that I needed to hurry up and get out as cleaning would begin shortly. Startled i ended my shower immediately and as i stepped out of the cubicle there was a man standing right infront of me who started laughing very seedily- this made me feel sick and as i was the only female in the toilet block at that time I was very nervous and scared at what he might do! The man didnt do anything to me only laugh horrifically but it didnt make me feel very secure knowing he could just walk in and out of the toilet block without notice. There were no cleaning signs around to notify that cleaning was in progress.

Also after meeting a few of our surrounding neighbours who were staying in caravans on the surrounding powered sites we found out that they were all paying $25 a night for the same kind of powered site as we were EXCEPT they all had caravans which used the power supplies and all had large vehicles Parked on the sites aswell compared to our eco friendly 2 man tent using no power supply and not supporting any vehicle!! Surely something wasnt quite right?!

Needless to say we decided to stay only 1 week at the campsite however that wasnt the end of it; around 3 weeks later when we were long gone from that place we recieved a phone call from a manager at Adelade Shores stating that we owed 3 weeks payment and demanding we paid up! When I told the woman we had only stayed a week on the campsite she suggested I was lying and spoke to me like I was the campsite theif! We had been in McLaren Vale for 3 weeks grapepicking! After explaining this the woman got agitated and slammed the phone down (excellent customer service).

All these incidents happened within only 1 week of staying on the campsite- i would hate to know what could have followed if we stayed longer!!!

My review is based purely on my own experience and I am not a person to pursuade others what to do or what not to do however everything in this statement is correct to my knowledge and I know myself, my partner and family members will be staying well away from Adelaide Shores Campsite.

• Stayed: February 2012
#1 of 1 in West Beach
Glenelg Beach Hostel
Glenelg Beach Hostel
#5 of 12 in Glenelg

Been to BIG4 Adelaide Shores Caravan Park? Share your experiences!