“What a dump”
Review of Aviators Lodge

Aviators Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 West Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2009

The Comfort Inn Aviator's Lodge is an old motel. Everything was original from the 60s.
Old bed, old furniture, old bathroom, very old carpet. I was in the front area and it was noisy and across the street form the airport. The floor, in room 8 on the far side of the bed has rotted out and is very uneven. The bathroom was very moldy and smelled very bad. I hoofed down to the Woolworths 2+ km r/t away for some "smell nice spray". Sadly I was able to use the spray in other locations in Australia.

3  Thank SoCalDayTripper

Reviewed March 28, 2009

Having booked by phone for an unplanned stay there was no great expectation so no disappointment at the small twin room reserved for spouse and self ( Room 26). Insufficient space for a second suitcase except atop the first when placed on the luggage holder device.
The lady who took our phoned booking quoted $113 but this had risen to $116 by arrival but this was not questioned. The receptionist was very pleasant and all went well.
Because NZ Govt. provide NZ Superans with a Gold Card discount to all Comfort Inns in NZ, Australia and Singapore did mention this but it was outside the knowledge of the receptioniost who referred me to management. Fair enough. Ultimately, management declined knowledge of it also and explained that we had been quoted incorrectly in the first instance. I admit to an error in stating to management that the discount applies to Comfort Inns only as, following checking, I find it applies to all Choice Hotels in Australasia. Of 3 Comfort Inns used on our brief tour of Australia this was the sole motel not to honour the arranged discount.
The Motel has, perhaps unusually, a guest lounge to where one can presumably escape from the allocated tiny room. This is extremely well furnished and comfortable - ideal for use for the coffee and liqueur after dinner. Tops for this.
The restaurant is very good with food equally good and well presented by a very pleasant waitress. Tops for these also.
The arranged 4.45am call did not happen but the taxi did arrive on time so at least one request came about. 50/50 for this. Taxi cost to the airport was $12.50 and one passes at least one other motel closer to the airport on the way (Airport Motel - of course).
Next time I may try that one.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Probian9910
AviatorsAdelaide, Owner Manager at Aviators Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2009

It is with pleasure that we hear this guest was happy with our Restuarant and Lounge area, we do our very best to provide great food and a relaxed environment at the Comfort Inn Aviators Lodge. It must be noted though, that the room sold to this guest was our last room avaliable that usually sell for $129.00 but was sold to this guest for $116.00. I believe the variation to $113.00 this was due to the heavy accent of our Receptionist, the amount of $3.00 was refunded.The request for a further discount due to being a Super Gold Card holder was questioned due to the fact that it is not available here in Australia this can be verified by contacting Choice Hotels Australasia. Even still, the amount of discount requested was refunded as well and the guest informed by Choice Hotels Australia of his misconception regarding entitlements here in Australia and the offer of joining our Choice Privileges program. Thank you and we do hope you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night booking with WOTIF. The package included a 2 course meal , which was devine. We even extended it to 3 courses and had a couple of drinks. The waiting staff were fantastic, and I left them the biggest tip I ever have.

Our problem started 2 days later when I was charged extra on my credit card, for the difference in what I had paid to wotif, and the value of the package inclusions. I rang the Aviator, and they tried saying that it was the correct charge as the inclusion line was the only place on wotif to put down any specials. I pointed out that I paid wotif the going price, and that included the inclusions, sounds quite simple doesn't it! Well, the person at the Aviator was very rude and hung up on me when I requested a refund, or would inform WOTIF of this incorrect charge.

Wotif were great and arranged the refund quickly!

So, my tip is to check your bill, and do NOT leave your credit card infomation with the Aviator.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fan4collingwood
AviatorsAdelaide, Manager at Aviators Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

On the night of the review we had 4 other guests who upgraded there stay to a Room and Meal package. All of whom had a lovely night with high praise for their meal, accomodation, the sevice and atmosphere. The guest writting this review wanted to have her 2 course meal for 2 people, wine and accomodation for the price of $110.00. I do not know any establishment who could provide that sort of a deal to the standard we did for that price. The Guest left without paying for her chosen upgrade and was charged. I was later threatened, abused and yelled at, when trying to explain our position but the guest would not stop screaming abuse long enough to even discuss the extra charge. I put the phone down as I a means to protect myself from further abuse. I then gave the guest a partial refund and spoke to my staff about conflict revolution tecnhniques, along with what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviour, that staff may be faced with. Guests have a responsibility to behave appropriatey as do staff and Management.

Reviewed February 8, 2009

We had an early morning flight and wanted to stay near the airport. Despite all the warnings on Trip Advisor, The Comfort Inn Aviator met our needs. The hotel is about a 5 to 10 min ride from the airport and very convenient as it provides transfer to and from the airport. We did not experience the same problems with a long wait with the van picking us up as stated in other reviews. The man at the front desk, Chandra, was very polite and professional. He also has a great accent.

Sure our room was a little run down, there were cracks in the walls, the door did not close properly, faucet was leaking and need replacing, and the walls were really thin that we heard other peeps conversations but....
the room was clean and good place to stay if you need to fly out early the next day and need a transfer.

If the situation was the same I would stay there again. Would I recommend to friends, hmmm, depends on the friend and their situation. So I wish Trip Advisor would put a "maybe" or "depend" option and not just a Yes/No option just to be fair.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kitty T
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Where do we begin? The 20-minutet for the van pickup, for which we were charged $8.00 for the round trip on checkout? The $5.00 per hour charge for use of the wireless network? Or perhaps the discovery at 10 p.m. that in order to qualify for the free breakfast, you have to order it before 9:00 p.m.? In any event, this place is Exhibit “A” in the case for competition in the accommodations business. This Comfort Inn, as you can read from the other posts, is the only game in the vicinity of the Adelaide Airport, which is why we and so many others choose it, in spite of the reviews. It’s not a terrible place, really, but it could be so much better with just a little effort.

The reason for the delay in the motel van seemed to be that the manager himself was driving it, while acting as desk clerk at the same time. We found out the next morning at checkout that he is also the owner, as he drove us to the airport on one of the hourly runs (for which you also must sign up in advance).

This motel is stuck in the 1960’s, and serves its purpose as a basic, fairly clean stopover on the way to someplace else. The owner/manager/desk clerk was efficient in checking us in and out, though he had to give us a credit when we realized we had been charged for 17 hours of Internet access during a 12-hour stay. The restaurant was certainly passable for our evening meal, which we had just before the closing time of 8:30. We’d probably stay here again under the same circumstances, but would be better prepared for what awaited us.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Charlie S
AviatorsAdelaide, All of the above at Aviators Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2008

At the Comfort Inn Aviators Lodge we try very hard to accommodate all the needs of our guests. We are a 3.5 star motel in the prosses of updating, in a world were people think we should be providing 5 star facillities. It is a shame some people expect us to be able to control the congestion at the Airport and somehow be able to jump the queue to pick them up in a shorter space of time. Our shuttle pick up times are clearly stated on our web site as is the price of $2.00 per person. The Comfort Inn Aviators Lodge has never offered a free breakfast so I am confused as to why the guest in the last review thought they were supposed to get one. Breakfast is however an extensive Continential Breakfast served to the room for $12.95. On checking the history on the guest complaining of a late breakfast arrival it was discovered that on the first attempt to deliver their breakfast there was no answer at the door. We can only apologise if the Chef is unwell and as the case in Adelaide there is a massive shortage og chef's.Our rooms are clean and our staff are freindly and our service is professional and our property convienent.
We do our very best to make each guests stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Reviewed September 8, 2008

The pre booked Aviator Lodge minibus failed to pick us up from the Airport so had to use 3 taxi,s! ( Make sure you ask taxi driver for price of journey because it ranges from 12$ to 40$! )
We went in the Restaraunt for the evening meal only to be told there was no chef to cook, he had called in sick. We had to use taxi,s to find an evening meal.
The rooms could do with updating.They are a bit dated.
Breakfast ( pre ordered) is supposed to be delivered to your room between 8.45am and 9am, it arrived at 9.30am.
I am one of seven people using this accommadation and we were all in agreement, we will not be using The Comfort Inn Aviator Lodge again!

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank Jimmy1952

At the Comfort Inn Aviators Lodge we try very hard to accommodate all the needs of our guests. We are a 3.5 starr motel in the prosses of updating, in a world were people think we should be providing 5 star facillities. It is a shame some people expect us to be able to control the congestion at the Airport and somehow be able to jump the queue to pick them up in a shorter space of time. Our shuttle pick up times are clearly stated on our web site as is the price of $2.00 per person. The Comfort Inn Aviators Lodge has never offered a free breakfast so I am confused as to why the guest in the last review thought they were supposed to get one. Breakfast is however an extensive Continential Breakfast served to the room for $12.95. On checking the history on the guest complaining of a late breakfast arrival it was discovered that on the first attempt to deliver their breakfast there was no answer at the door. Our rooms are clean and our staff are freindly and our service is professional.
We do our very best to make each guest stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Reviewed May 2, 2008

Lodge is located close to airport. They offer a $2 shuttle service from the airport but be prepared to wait. I had to wait about 30 minutes and considered calling a taxi. I later found out that taxi drivers often refuse the fare there due to the short distance. In the morning the shuttle leaves on the hour.

The room was on the small side but was clean. The heating was not working in my queen room so I was moved to a triple room. Some rooms at the front get quite a bit of road noise so get a room at the back if you can.

Nicely landscaped grounds and friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
#2 of 8 in Glenelg
Adelaide Shores Resort
Adelaide Shores Resort
#2 of 6 in West Beach

Been to Aviators Lodge? Share your experiences!