All reviews buffet style oysters beachfront bungalow kippers balmain bugs norfolk island central coast heated jacuzzi garden spa fresh prawns double shower homemade jams star resort private beach anniversary stay sound of the waves slipper lobster
Reviewed September 2, 2018

We stayed for one night here after reading a glowing review in the Weekend Australian magazine. We were travelling down the east coast via the Pacific Highway from Noosa to Sydney, so the location was perfect for our last night before driving into Sydney. We booked a 'garden view' bungalow for $450 direct from the website, and I thought this was pretty good value considering buffet dinner and breakfast were both included. Our villa was lovely, the bed very comfortable and we had a sneaky view of the ocean between the beachfront villas in front.

There was nothing "wrong" with our experience, it just didn't live up to my expectations are reading the review in the magazine. We had a pre-dinner drink in the cocktail lounge and then moved into the dining room for dinner. I felt a distinct lack of ambience/atmosphere in both places. Most guests were from an older age bracket than us (and we are both 60+) and everyone sat at their little tables for two with no interaction between groups.

The food was ok, certainly not outstanding. My husband enjoyed the oysters and sashimi - I would have liked my prawns to be served already peeled!

Next morning for breakfast, everyone was seated at their same tables from the night before, so once again, no chatting between tables or guests.

I'm sure some people like this, and that is why they return again and again. I had very high expectations for a special night, and left feeling slightly underwhelmed. I must give credit though to the staff, who were delightful and very helpful.

3  Thank VReynolds
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beachside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2018

Thank you for your review, we always enjoy hearing that our guests have had a lovely stay with us. We are very pleased that your husband enjoyed the oysters and sashimi and that you enjoyed our Iluka King prawns which are all fresh daily. Kims has a wide clientele of all age brackets and many return guests that have been visiting Kims for many years. Our guests enjoy the peace and tranquillity we offer and also, each other’s company, it is a chance for them to unwind and relax. Often our guests will mingle together, but that is entirely up to them. We hope that when you are next passing through the Central Coast you will stop by to visit us again.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Recently stayed
What a joint!! Beautiful location right on the beach so no excuse for not going for a morning or arvo stroll.
Kim’s is just less than an hour from Sydney.
The room was excellent with all facilities and fantastic decor especially the art works.
But wait for it- the food is the bees knees
If you are into seafood then you’re on a winner; fresh and local all prepared on the premises. The rest of food is to die for. And yes the view from the dining area- the ocean of course!!
Home made ice cream anyone?
Breakfast- look out out quality standard
They even make their own butter!!! A choice of nearly ten honeys some local again.
Well I suppose you get the picture and I am not really giving the place justice there is so much more.
The killer for me is the special art room with Max Dupain original photos( if you don’t know look him up). He was a regular visitor to Kim’s
The history of Kim’s dates back to the late 1800s
So if you want a special stay and great value for the quality you will get then why wait!!

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Kamie K
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beachside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2018

Thank you for your review on Kims. It is always a pleasure to read a review that highlights the experiences of our guests. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. At Kims we are proud to support our local suppliers and believe that their range of products are excellent! Our collection of Max Dupain photography is always a talking point. So many wonderful photographs to browse through! Once again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you at Kims for a return visit.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

i was given a present to stay ther for one night
from the moment we walk in wow the rooms clean the seafood on diner was very very fresh and yum
its only 1.45hr from the cad of Sydney right by the sea

Room tip: middle of the row close to the beach its noice with the wave
2  Thank Zvika C
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beachside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your gift of a one night stay and found the rooms clean, seafood very very fresh and our location of being right on the beach so close to Sydney. Hope that you return to Kims again soon. We also believe there is no reason to travel overseas!

Reviewed August 10, 2018

My husband & I recently spent 3 nights at Kims. We've stayed numerous times over the years and still love it as much as during our first stay 19 years ago.

There are many different accommodation options available. Our favourite villa is Idle Beach. I recommend Idle Beach for those wishing to lounge around all day doing nothing other than take in the amazing beachfront view. It's up the northern end of the beach which is away from the surf club. The northern end seems much quieter, it feels like your own private beach. This particular villa has recently had a makeover which has made it even more beautiful and appealing.

We always enjoy the food. Whilst I'm vegetarian, my options are reduced in comparison to meat eaters however I'm always fully satisfied. The restaurant and cocktail bar are both lovely, perfect decor for the beach surrounds.

Staff are friendly, helpful and professional. The bottle of champagne on arrival was much appreciated.

I can think of no other accommodation in NSW that offers the overall experience we receive at Kims. Whilst it doesn't offer the luxury of 5 star City hotels, what it does offer is a 5 star unique beachfront experience. You go there to relax, unwind and make memories. We travel regularly and stay in accommodation a lot more expensive than Kims. I can honestly say Kims is the place that sticks in my mind as the most memorable. It really is a special place.

Highly recommend this gorgeous beachside retreat.

1  Thank ILikeLuxury87
ManagementKims, General Manager at Kims Beachside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! Idle Beach Villa is certainly a very popular bungalow and we are so happy that you like the recent renovations. Our chefs like to make sure that all of our guests leave the restaurant satisfied and we do cater for many people who are vegan, vegetarian or have allergies. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, we have a wonderful team here at Kims. We thank you for your continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you to Idle Beach Villa when you next need to relax and unwind.

Reviewed August 5, 2018

This was our second visit to Kims and it lived up to expectations. Lovely bungalow, beautiful views of the ocean through the lush greenery. The outdoor heated jacuzzi is very pleasant (although gets much hotter than 32 degrees, according to the thermometer anyway!). Good motorcycle parking too.

The food is amazing and the service is very professional and friendly. Highly recommended.

Room tip: The higher up villas probably offer better views.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

We are pleased that your second visit lived up to your expectations and that you would highly recommend Kims as a place to visit. Delighted that you enjoyed your room with the heated outdoor Jacuzzi and views of the ocean. Thank you also for your comments on the amazing food and professional and friendly service, a part of Kims that we are so proud of. We look forward to you visiting again soon.