“Beachcomber uninterrupted view of trees (not ocean)”

Toowoon Bay Holiday Park
Sydney, Australia
“Beachcomber uninterrupted view of trees (not ocean)”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

i decided to go for the more upmarket beachcomber cabin for its uninterrupted ocean views - as advertised - for our wedding anniversary. Imagine my disappointment to arrive and find we had a view of trees instead of ocean. If I stood up I got a partial view of ocean between the trees from our balcony. This view definitely bore no resemblance to the advertisment of the Beachcomber cabin on the Toowoon Bay Holiday Park website. Cabins 35, 36 and 37 looked to have good sites. Do not book the lower numbered beachcomber cabins as you will not get what you paid for.

Room Tip: cabins 35, 36, 37 onwards looked more like what was advertised
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We, being 3 others and myself, booked the Kingfisher cabin over the Christmas / New Year period. We picked this cabin as it was advertised as being self-contained.
When I initially booked I was told that each cabin could only allow 1 car but that both cars could unpack but one would have to park outside the grounds in street parking (1 car policy – sound familiar).
We got there and we were told too bad, only one car at a time and would not budge. Anything to get a booking.

The cabin itself was ok – not flash. Half old, half new décor.
The bad bits - The bathroom windows had no curtains – it faced the main road within the park.
We were provided with exactly 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 coffee cups, and 4 pieces of cutlery each. Yep I still can’t believe it.
An out-dated dishwasher, which I am sure drank more water than the dishes are worth.
1 bath towel each to last us the week – or we could purchase a linen pack for $8 – which had extra linen and 1 towel.
– The cabin is advertised as "Linen: We supply bed linen and bath towels for up to four persons”
Washing machine was $3 to use.
Drier was another $3 to use. Now I understood why there were no washing machines in the so-called self-contained cabins.
We asked for extra blankets as the beds were inadequately made with only a sheet and a very thin and worn cotton blanket to cover yourself with – We were told they have no extra Blankets.
There were no rubbish pick-up facilities – you had to empty your own. I have never had to do this in any park where I stayed in a cabin. Lucky they had no recycling.
Off-site parking was in residential areas .. visitor parking is very very small, so it was always a long walk to the car.
The park itself was very clean in our section and well maintained.
We will never be staying there again and we won’t be recommending it to our friends or family as they have similar expectations from Holiday Parks as we do.
We were very disappointed in the service – which there was very little of.
As I checked out and told the lady at reception that we were not entirely happy with our stay – she looked at her computer and wished me a happy new year.

Room Tip: The most expensive cabin is the cabin that is actually a fully self contained cabin. We had the sec...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank BanaG74
bungendore
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 kids) stayed 4 nights here in our caravan over Christmas. Over the last 10 years we have watched this caravan park add new features and improve. There is a jumping pillow, beaut pool, excellent camp kitchen and it is beach front. The rates are very reasonable, even over the holiday period. The staff were very friendly and helpful. One small observation - there was no dryer in the laundry I used. There was more than one laundry so maybe there was a dryer in one of the others. We got an ensuite site, and the facility was good. Our kids locked the key to the bathroom in the bathroom a couple of times having to go up the front office for the spare. The staff were very understanding and patient with us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We held a family reunion here recently. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We booked a Pelican cabin which I must admit could have done with a coat of fresh paint BUT it was very clean and I think one of the most enjoyable parts of the first day was watching my kids wrestle with the sheets to make the top bunk only to decide they wanted to sleep on the bottom bunk after all (our bed was already made on check in). Some of the family had booked Beachcomber cabins, and next time we'll book these too as they are wonderful cabins. I really look forward to coming back to enjoy the location and views again.

Room Tip: Get in early and book your Beachcomber cabin, but Pelicans are good and a/c as well if you're on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Gilgandra, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

After a 15 year break we decided to go camping again. We chose Toowoon Bay because it was close to the beach and our home town. The park itself was good and as usual the people that frequent caravan parks are very freindly, this is what I always remembered from our camping days with the kids. We were there for 2 nights, Fridayand Saturday. Now for the concerning part. At 3.40am Saturday morning I was awoken by a man searching through our esky, outside the tent. I know the park tells you to conceal valuables at all times but really an esky..... I confronted the thief, holding 6 to 8 bottles of beer, who told me in no uncertain terms not come near him. The next morning I told the campers close by what had happened and one lot had lost a considerable amount of alchohol and an Ipod dock. They reported the incident to management and were told that the thieves were from outside the park and they should have read the flyer on arrival about valuables. This to me is something that happens often by the managements reply. There seemed to be no real concern about the incident. But as someone said it happens eveywhere these days...maybe I've been gone too long. I'll be surprised if I'm back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Peter_Julie
sydney
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I honestly cannot praise this place enough.
We have stayed at this place numerous amounts of times & always leave satisfied.
We have stayed in the caravans & cabins many years ago with our sons &/or friends.
But you cant beat the 'beachcomber cabins'!
These cabins are really spacious & modern & the bathroom has a big relaxing spa.
The balcony is absolutely huge!
You can cook on your private bbq while admiring the magnificent ocean views.
Just gorgeous!!!!!

Room Tip: The beach is a short stroll away. Beachcomber cabin rooms 36 & 37 are high on stilts (you can p...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Coldog
Cronulla, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We just got back from a week away at Toowoon Bay with our 3 Children and we stayed in one of the cabins overlooking the ocean. It was a magical view! The cabin was perfect and spacious for our family of 5.

The grounds and facilities and are well maintined, and our kids loved the jumping pillow!

I'm suprised by the review on here saying staff were rude; and in particular the Park Manager, Jackie, we found her polite, friendly and even provided our kids with a free icecream for wearing their bike helments!! We tend to treat staff as human beings rather than servants, maybe thats what makes the difference.

Thank you Toowoon Bay and all the friendly staff, we'd go back again tomorrow if we could.

The Robinson Family

Room Tip: The Cabins over looking the ocean is highly recommended.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in The Entrance
Shelly Beach Holiday Park
Shelly Beach Holiday Park
#1 of 1 in Shelly Beach

Been to Toowoon Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!