“Nice location, service and rooms varied”

Sikatuna Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in San Jose
Walnut Creek, California
“Nice location, service and rooms varied”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. First you have to understand that San Jose isn't a tourist town and there isn't a lot of choice with accommodations. Other higher end choices are Villa Paulina and El Morra. Both of these hotels are in the 3,000 to 4,000p range. Rooms in the Sikatuna run about 1,000p about $25 a night. The Sikatuna has a nice location right on the beach with views of the ocean from some of its rooms. This place can get very busy, unlike the other two places I mentioned. Most of the rooms are very basic. You do get a TV, bathroom, bed and aircon. Twice my rooms didn't have hot water. That's not as big of a problem as it sounds as the ground water temperature isn't very cold. The staff is friendly and the service is usually ok. The restaurant is fairly decent. Again there aren't any high end places to eat in San Jose and your choice of food is mainly filipino food, maybe you can get a pizza around town or pasta. Forget, Northern Italian, French, Indian, etc. This is the hot spot to stay in town, just don't set your sights up too high. The standard of living in this part is not very high. For the most part the people living in this area live in very basic homes and the pay here is much less then the bigger cities in the Philippines. What can I say, this town isn't ripe yet for tourism. If you want to see what its like to live in a small town in the Philippines, this is the place. There is a nice sense of innocence about this place, almost untouched by the west.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Ken R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here for 2 days and 2 nights.
Pros - (1) Near the San Jose Airport; (2) Delicious Food; (3) Nice Cable TV connection.
Cons -
(1) Bathroom smells odd;
(2) TV remote control does not work.
(3) Forgetful waiters - On our first night in the hotel, during dinner, we've decided to add Sizzling Gambas in our order, followed it up after an hour of waiting and decided to just cancel the additional order after two hours of waiting. When we were about to get up from where we were seated, the waiter attentively comes back to our table to ask if we were about to pay the bill. I said, "Yes and we'll be cancelling the additional order". The waiter was shocked and said, "Oh really!!! Did you add that order?" --- So, in conclusion, we were actually waiting for nothing and learned that the food is not really put on queue for preparation after waiting for two hours. This is just one of the two forgetful waiters that they have…read further for Forgetful Waiter #2;
(3) Mockery or Just Purely Lacks Common Sense at its finest - On the next day, we ordered a sumptuous beef bulalo (beef bone marrow soup). I was surprised that the waiter gave us a bread knife for cutting meat! I do not really know if he's attempting to provoke us in anger that early in the morning or he just really lacks common sense. Bread knife for cutting meat, that is possible if that was pressure-cooked for hours. Bread knife for cutting beef bulalo meat....you've got to be kidding me!!!
(4) Unorganized Billing System - after the “beef bulalo” incident, we went to the reception/cashier to pay for our breakfast, our bill was only P310.00 as mentioned by the cashier but she refused to get my payment since she doesn't have enough change for my P1000.00 bill at that moment. So I've just decided to come back later to pay the exact amount. Before lunch, I went back to pay the P310.00 fee for breakfast, then we went out to go to the market to buy some food/souvenirs as pasalubong if we can find any. We went back to the hotel just in time for dinner. After dinner, I have also decided to pay for the remaining balance for the room since our flight back to Manila is scheduled at 6am the next day. After skimming through the tab, I saw that I am being charged again with the coffee and mineral water that we had for breakfast, so as a paying customer I started to ask why I am still being charged for those since I know that I have fully paid the breakfast fee before going out to the market. So we began to trace what we ate for breakfast and found out that Forgetful Waiter 2, who attended us for breakfast, who also gave us the bread knife to cut the beef bulalo meat, forgot to add the charge for the coffee and mineral water in our breakfast's tab. He surely remembered that he failed to add those in the tab anytime between lunch and dinner since I was able to make the breakfast’s payment before lunch time. So our actual breakfast did not really cost P310.00 but costs more --- talk about real time charging, consistency and transparency --- they lack all of these.
(5) Rude and Unprofessional - as we trace back all accrued expenses for breakfast, one of the three ladies who were at the reception/cashier was very rude. It seems like she doesn't like the fact that I am asking why I still have some unpaid bills for breakfast. Well in the first place, if Forgetful Waiter #2 did not forget to put those in the tab, there won't be any point of discussion for this. If that waiter just did his job well, there won't be any questions raised later that evening. I can't understand why she is so upset if someone throws a question that needs a few minutes of investigation on their not so clear logs. Answering a question from a paying customer is just normal if you work in the hotel customer service industry --- this lady lacks EQ, maturity and customer service skills. She was so pissed off. I think that if I raise a pitch of my voice, she will definitely throw me that logbook that she was carrying at that moment. Oh by the way, again, I was just asking a simple "why" question in a calm manner. That is why I really don't understand why she is fuming mad at me. If that girl can't handle a minor inquiry, I think that she should change her profession to anything that does not involve human interaction.
(6) NOT-SO-FREE Transfer from Hotel to San Jose Airport - though they offered free transfer from the hotel to the airport, we did not avail of it anymore since the driver was nowhere to found and there is a big risk to miss our flight back to Manila.

Overall, if you want to have a stress-free stay in San Jose, DO NOT ever consider this hotel. Cheap Hotel = Cheap Service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lakwatsera007

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

QC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have been to and from occidental mindoro for quite some time now. Compared to other resorts, Sikatuna may be the best and has the best array of cable tv in town. But that's about it.

I had a reservation for a room in the ground floor since I am accompanying a senior citizen since our project needed her expertise. We also reserved a function hall for our project meeting. When we arrived at the hotel, I was shocked to see endless people coming to and from different places of the resort. Apparently, the provincial govt had a training and research development congress for the teachers. Added to that, there was a wedding on the same day and the hotel staff were so busy that no one except the receptionist who was also busy doing charge slips to the guests When I asked about my room reservation, they said that the room was already occupied and that we are to be relegated to the 3rd floor! I told her that we had a reservation but she nonchalantly dismissed our reservation!!! She said that the room was already occupied and she cant do anything about it. The senior citizen that was with me just took the keys and went up the room. When I asked that someone bring our luggages, it took nearly half an hour for some hotel staff to help us.

As with the reserved room, our function hall was also given to the other client. We had our meeting at the most spacious room we got. Come lunch time, we ordered our food at 11-1130am but was only served at 12:45nn. We kept on following-up our order but the waiters said it was coming. We were fuming mad but no seemed to care.

Come dinner time, the service was quicker than that of our lunch. I talked to the new receptionist if she could arrange breakfast for me and our consultant since we had the earliest flight out of San Jose the following day. She pointed the signage "Kitchen opens at 530am". I asked the receptionist if they could arrange for a sandwich or so since our consultant needed to eat since she'd be taking her medicine. She agreed that they could prepare a chicken sandwich but it will be cold already since they're gonna preprare it the night before the flight. I gladly thanked the receptionist for such promise.

Come early the following morning, we never had the sandwich and we almost failed to get into the flight since the driver wanted every single guest to brought to the airport, regardless if it was a 6am flight or the 645am flight. A group of foreigners were taking the later flight and we were just 4 people taking the earlier flight. We got into the airport 10 minutes before boarding time. Thank God that San Jose Airport is a small airport that they could always assist anyone just before the plane taxis to the runway.

I called and talked to the owner about what happened and she arrogantly said "Well, you are always free to choose other resorts." True enough. But such arrogant behavior should not be in the service industry.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Anne M
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Paid P1000 for a bare room that didn't have towel, toilet paper...
When I woke up, there were large, dead cockroaches on the floor of the room.

When I mentioned this to the staff, they were indifferent.
Very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TCPJA
Quezon City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

3 of my girl buddies stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The hotel is not really that great but compared with other hotels in San Jose this one is more livable. The rooms where big enough but comfort room are not that great. If you are a "maarte" person and is used to very clean places, well this is not the place for you.

The staff of sikatuna beach resort are friendly and honest. Maybe that is why we stayed longer in this hotel because of the honest and accommodating staff.

The hotel is 5 minutes from the airport and is 10 minutes from the san jose market.
San Jose Mondoro needs to deveop it's tourism because as we went about the place nobody seems to know any tourist spots or where are the best restaurant here.

Room Tip: Select the new build rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chat S
Marikina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

Since my wife and I always make our trip unplanned to have that kind of sense of adventure, we opted to stay here and since we don't stay much in the hotel either,we find the rates quite reasonable (well we thought....).but off course since you are a tourist you're also expecting to be accommodated first class,regardless of whatever reason. When we made our reservation at least 3days from our arrival,when we got there still our room is not yet prepared,the staffs (especially the people at the reception) were not that hospitable enough to let you feel you're welcome,the rooms were not as good as shown in their website even some pictures are not theirs I guess,for the next 3nights cockroach and mosquitoes has been part of our reservation,food were, well...jollibee is better and cheaper,and the worst part is,upon checkout and used our credit card,surprisingly,we were charged on top of our bill 5% extra,which was not disclosed to us (this is illegal people!),It's a good thing San Jose,Mindoro has a lot of best beaches to offer,we were able to still enjoy our trip.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angelo A
q.c.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

we opted to stay here overnight to catch our early flight in the morning. room is expensive plus lots of mosquitos inside. staff sprayed baygon(mosquito killer spray), and now our lungs hurts.

restaurant food are expensive, and most listed food are not available, waiter even forgot to take my friend's order.

food is soso...

avoid this place

Room Tip: avoid if possible
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Grace Island Resort
Grace Island Resort
#2 of 6 in San Jose
Bali Beach Garden Resort and SPA Mindoro

Been to Sikatuna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!