Rydges Bankstown
$100
$102
  • Pool
Travelodge Hotel Bankstown Sydney(Bankstown)
$101
Trip.com
Holiday Inn Warwick Farm(Warwick Farm)
$116
$105
  • Pool
$111
Agoda.com
$89
$86
The Brown Jug Hotel(Fairfield Heights)
$65
$57
  • Bar/Lounge
$71
$68
All reviewsonly criticismcomfortable staydripping tapwestern sydneybuffet breakfastbed was very comfortablestaff were friendly and helpfula bit tiredpublic transportfree parkingsmall shoppingconvenient locationpleasant surpriseroad noiseupsideheapsconference
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I wish I had something nice to say. I have stayed in my fair share of hotels, as well as many, many hostels - so I know what bad accommodation is - and all I can do is laugh at what I was charged for this nightmare of a stay in a hotel chain.

I spent two nights at Rydges in Bankstown while attending a weekend seminar there. I encountered a number of problems during this visit. To list a few:
- Every staff member I encountered was unfriendly. Except for one - but she turned out to be unknowledgeable about her own industry.
- I was charged twice on my credit card for my stay. Am awaiting the cancellation of one of these charges.
- The flush button on my toilet in my room got stuck down several times so it kept running loudly and I had to fix it each time.
- On the first night I was woken by a loud, high-pitched buzzing noise which lasted for an hour, from 5am to 6am. Never worked out what that noise was.
- The temperature gauge to my room was not working, which resulted in uncomfortably restless nights.
- The shower head was ridiculously spitty. My intentions to not wash my hair by tying it up were thwarted by the nozzle that sprayed everywhere.
- An attempt at enjoying a relaxing bath was destroyed due to the bathroom fan not being able to be turned off so the water was reduced to lukewarm prematurely.
- This bath got even more unpleasant when I attempted to remove the bath plug - it was the inappropriate size for that bathtub. It took me no less than 45 minutes to get it out - plus a bruised hand, broken pen (attempted stabbing it out), two bent spoons (the ones provided by the hotel were rubbish, so just as well I had my own spoon made of adequate metal), and a soaking bathroom floor.
- The seminar room had the air conditioning on at a very uncomfortable level - fricking cold. On a day that was 28 degrees outside, everyone in the seminar room was wearing long pants and a jumper/jacket.
- There were 5 female toilets available during the seminar. This resulted in a long line during the breaks from the seminar as there was approximately 50 people attending, predominantly female. Additionally, by the end of the weekend, 2 of these 5 toilets were out of order.
- There was flaking paint in my room, in hallways and in the seminar room.
- The parking lot is scattered with signs saying that visitors may leave their car there at their own risk - thank god parking is at least free.
- There is nothing in the way of restaurants in the near vicinity (I do not count Maccas or Hungry Jacks to be real restaurants)

Those are some of the issues I encountered. I am flabbergasted that this Rydges has a generally positive rating. I have visited the Rydges at World Square in Sydney before and maybe I was expecting something of that level at Rydges in Bankstown. So very sadly let down. I would rather stay at the caravan park across the road next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jennast
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Hi Jennast,

Thanks for the review and I am sorry to read that your stay was not up to the high Rydges standard.

I have actually used this review in our latest staff meeting, I felt many of the issues you raised should not have occurred or could have been easily rectified.

Thanks again for the review and I hope you give us a 2nd chance to impress you.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I don't normally stay out South West when I'm in Sydney for work, I tend to stay in town but I had a job in Bankstown and decided to give this place a go. I was NOT disappointed.

Staff were perfectly friendly and nice. They gave me a free drink voucher for in the bar on arrival, nice touch ;) The room I stayed in was nice and big and spotlessly clean. It was nice and modern in terms of furnishing. A nice big desk to work at with a good quality TV to watch. Great mini bar reasonably priced. The bed was AWESOME and so comfortable. I seriously wanted to try and sneak it out to my car when I was leaving. I got a great online price too, about $50 a night cheaper than it's major competitor in Bankstown.

I thought that the room service was a bit pricey, but not to worry, there's a 24 hour Maccas next door (yuk) but also a great little Chinese Restaurant (Amity Chinese Restaurant) that makes great food that's really cheap and the vibe there is nice too. You can walk there and eat or grab take-away and bring it back to your room. Just up the road is a shopping centre with a brand new gym (about to open), Woolies, BWS, chemist, Target etc plus other take away eating joints.

I was in a room facing the Hume Highway so I was worried about noise but the windows are pretty sound proof and it wasn't a distraction. They do a really nice breakfast in the restaurant too.

If I had to complain it would be about the little lounge chairs they have in the room that are small and uncomfortable, but I was either at the desk working or resting on the super comfy bed. The other thing is the fan in the bathroom runs constantly and is pretty noisy, so I just kept the bathroom door closed.

All in all, I'll be back if I'm working in this area again. It was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the great review!

I am glad your enjoyed the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The staff are friendly and the price, when on sale is respectable, but crikeys, it looks like the boss has been pocketing the maintenance budget for years. Every wall has chipped paint or is marked and dirty. All the carpets are thread bear and grimey. Even the front entrance has walked in bubblegum stuck inside the grate. The in house guides are stained and dog eared and the curtains are wrinkled and look like they have never been washed. Seems ridiculous that so much money spent on a building with quality pool etc... And then let gone to pot. I understand slightly outdated fittings, but the exceptional lack of detail suggests management have taken their off of the ball. I stayed Xmas 2011 and things were the same.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fritzmacgritz

Thanks for the review - you have raised some valuable points for us to look at.

The good news is that many of your points have now been actioned. We are in the process of re-painting all rooms as well improving the bar and restaurant area. We have also replaced most of our guest compendiums with new and updated information.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Do not stay here. I have travelled to Sydney and was happy to book this chain as they are usually of a good standard.
Not this hotel....dirty smelly and mould in bathrooms. Calling it a dump is being polite. Was booked in for a week. Checked out the next morning. Avoid this dated and shabby hotel at all costs.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Steve L

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review.

We are working hard to improve the standard of the hotel. We have recently finished re-freshing levels 2, 3 & 4 and will shortly start the remaining floors.

I have personally inspected the room that you stayed in and I have our maintenance team working on the problems you raised.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you give us a 2nd chance.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Check in for a six night stay - front desk staff very helpful and efficient. However it seems there is a holiday camp of school children occurring on level 5, the noises of door slamming, kids running around shouting is very disruptive and will not be conducive to working through this week. Let's see how we go, hopefully someone will take some control given that everyone staying here should be able to enjoy their stay.......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JayHitch
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

I apologise for the excess noise you experienced throughout your stay. During this time, we had large group staying in the hotel for their netball championships in the local area, and our staff did their best to control noise levels to ensure all guests enjoyed a peaceful stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cheers, Brett.