“The Worst Restaurant In Big Bear”

Jaspers Smokehouse & Steaks
Ranked #15 of 66 Restaurants in Big Bear Lake
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The service is abysmal. The staff was openly disrespectful. It is the most upsetting experience I've ever had at a restaurant. I wish I were allowed to rate the restaurant a zero. Stay away.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Several times either before or after seeing a movie at the Village Theaters across the street, we have eaten BBQ here. While the food is decent, the prices strike me as high for the value received (small portions). I haven't particularly noticed deficient service as some of the other reviewers have noted, but it all depends on when you go there. Obviously, the Christmas/New Year's Day holiday period is the high season for all of the restaurants downtown. It does, however, offer convenience if you're in the Village, as we were. But then again, there are many restaurants in the Village to choose from depending on the desired cuisine. Personally we prefer the BBQ at Diamond Lil's (reviewed elsewhere), but it's a bit of the beaten track and hard to find.

1  Thank Stan W
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We came here on Christmas Eve, and we waited forever to get waited on.
The staff seemed to care less if you were there or not. They were visibly rolling silverware on a table and ignored patrons.
I had a burger which was over $10! Really, because it looked like the one I could have ordered at Wendys!
The rest of our group ordered BarBQ, and the only good thing they had to say was the sauce was good.
Along with a lot of restaurants in Big Bear, is it that hard to find wait people????
Several restaurants had this same horrible service (one being an Italian restaurant which we waited for over 30 minutes just to try and get a drink order, so we finally left )

1  Thank tahoequeen21
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Used to drive by this place all the time when visiting Big Bear, couple of my friends had been there and said it was decent, so we finally decided to grab dinner there one night after a day of boarding. Biggest complaint about this place was just not being greeted for maybe ten minutes once we were seated. Aside from that, the food and overall experience wasn't bad. But restaurant wasn't too crowded and it was just really frustrating. Would be willing to try again in the future, food was a little bit above average and the menu looked like it had some pretty good bbq, the service was just lacking on my first experience.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Jasper's is right in the middle of Big Bear Village, across from the Village Theaters.

With signs on the wall saying things like "Hot Beer, Lousy Food, Bad Service" and "DANGER-JASPERS BBQ EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK" we were kind of wondering about this place, but as it turned out, any fears that we might have had were unfounded. A cute touch -- drinks are served in large Ball jars.

Most places these days provide enough food to feed a family in Mexico or a whole village in Africa, so my wife and I decided to just split a Pulled Pork Super, which turned out to be just right. The pork is served "dry," (i.e. unsauced), but they provide a little plastic cup of sauce to moisten things up. We asked for cole slaw as the side, and my wife, who is from the South (the south side of Antarctica, IIRC), said it was well-nigh perfect.

If you're into "Q," this is the place to go in Big Bear.