“Animals are very well cared for”

Big Bear Alpine Zoo at Moonridge
More attraction details
Owner description: The Big Bear Alpine Zoo is a rehabilitation facility offering injured, orphaned and imprinted wild animals a safe haven; temporarily while they heal or permanently as they are unable to survive on their own.We are extremely proud that 90% of all the animals brought to us for rehabilitation are successfully released back into their native environment.Those that remain with us on exhibit are either too injured or have been imprinted by humans and can not be released back into the wild to care for themselves.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was very impressed with this zoo. I've never seen any animals this close. The fact that they have rehabilitated so many and have done it well.
I especially loved seeing the bald eagles up close.
The only downside is parking; it's right across from the ski area and not a lot of parking to choose from. I would like to see them have their own parking lot.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"small kids"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I love this little zoo. It is a place we visit every time we are in the area.

They do a terrific job with their small animal population and are always willing to help with rescues of local wildlife. I came here as a kid, brought my own kids and now bring my grandkids. They are charmed by the smallness of the zoo and the intimacy with the animals.

My grandkids especially like the cat population. This place is a great way to spend a few hours, especially in winter.

1  Thank scottca075
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The zoo is still fundraising to afford a forced move from their current location. Currently, because they're looking forward to a step by step, section by section move, the upkeep on the place is lacking. The animals are always well cared for - its just the look of the place is shabby now. I love this zoo ( I live here and donate and adopt animals) and can't wait for all the animals to be in their new, clean and larger habitat! Even now it's very worth visiting.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I liked being able to show my children the bears that Big Bear was named for. But as for the quality of the zoo, I felt terrible for the animals. It's run down, small, and seems like it's barely staying open.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 14, 2013

did this just as "something to do", and now realize what a shame it would have been if we had missed the opportunity. not your typical zoo. great staff and you are pretty darn close to animals you would have seen in the wild before we two legged animals moved in. don't miss this, especially if you have kids along (although just as interesting for adults). try to get there in the mid morning when the bears are tearing into breakfast. awesome!