“They don't honor reservations”
Review of Big Bear Frontier

Big Bear Frontier
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed February 22, 2009

As with a previous reviewer we found that the management here seems to feel reservations are just something to change as they seem fit. We too had booked cabin 1 and were told at 3 PM that the room wasn't ready but they just happened to have cabin 11 open. So we were moved from next to the lake to next to the highway. We had stayed there before and had been changed cabins at the last minute on that visit but we had been assured then that this was a rare occurrence. It appears now that this is pretty common at this location. Also, as with camper74 we were there during a severe snow storm. We were attempting to put on chains because the only road open was the 18 via Hesperia. There was an employee going from room to room telling everyone they had to be out by noon or there was a $50 charge. Why? The roads were closed so no new guests were able to get there and the maids had even parked their carts because of the snow coming down. They showed no concern for anyone's well being as a classy resort would have so the women and children had to sit in the cars while we attempted to put on chains in heavy snow. We will not make the mistake of going back here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Mark951

Reviewed February 10, 2009

There is a reason why most people who have rated this hotel give it the lowest rating. The management is the reason. Losing reservations, giving away our room to other guests have been some of my problems during previous stays. By the way, I am not surprised to see other reviewers here who have had the exact same problems. I don't know why we expect things will improve here and continue to go back. The management definitely does not care about customers returning or they would try a little harder. I think they have enough people that come up here and with the shortage of quality places to stay, that they don't care if your a happy customer or not. If you don't come back, who cares! That seems to be their motto. My latest fiasco prompted me to write this review. My family had reserved two cabins and two rooms for one night. On the day of check out the weather was blizzard like. We were all helping each other get our chains on our cars as they were required to travel. Come 11:10 A.M. they practically kick us out the door, when check out is at 11 A.M. All the little ones were keeping warm inside, while we fussed with the car chains, and they act like idiots! They don't even ask you to pay an additional $50 unless you want to stay passed noon. All we needed was maybe another half an hour. Very rude and inconsiderate. This is definitely our last time staying here!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Camper74
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I found this hotel on BringFido.com. I wanted to be able to bring my dogs and was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The price was very reasonable, so I was not expecting much, but the room was adorable! I had a really cute rustic feel. There was a microwave, fridge and great fireplace. I thought the staff was very nice. We stayed in room 112, right by the lake. We went out to the beach which was covered in snow and the dogs ran around and played with other dogs that were staying there and everyone had a great time! I will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank kathrinea
Reviewed November 30, 2008

I actually stay here every time I go up to Big Bear, I like the place. The rates are reasonable and the heated pool & spa, pool table and free WI-FI are great. I have never had a problem with the staff being rude either.

The only huge complaint was last time I stayed there in January 2008. At about midnight the heater stopped working and it was 13 degrees F outside!!! They have an emergency phone # but nobody answered!! Within a short period of time the room started to get pretty cold, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

My wife and daughter started to freak out because our blanket supply was minimal. I tinkered with the heater and FINALLY kick-started the darn thing, thank goodness.

I complained the next morning but the girl at the desk said she was surprised nobody answered my calls. Next time I go I'm making darn sure I've got all bases covered!

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank dpevans23
Reviewed November 27, 2008

it was orrible experience.
the cabin are over priced, dirty and with mouse drop,and the staff is very rude.
the worst part is that they ask a deposit charge on your c/c and they always find some problem to over charge you.
I try to contact the manager but the staff didn't let me.
I been in Big bear many many time and I don't reccomand this place to my worst enemy.
go to a real hotel.
this place is danger.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Cicciottis
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed in cabin 24 for three nights Oct. 19-22nd, and had a great time. The cabin was small but had a great view of the lake and the cost was around $88 per night. It had a large porch, and when you came out the back, the area towards the left is like a minature park, with picnic tables and bbq grills.
The staff is extremely friendly especially Richard, and more then willing to accommodate you with everything you need. We were celebrating our 7th year wedding anniversary. They gave us wine glasses, and we sat in the lobby near the fireplace which they had just lit, and enjoyed our wine. They have free internet service in the lobby, as well as a pool table, and plenty of videos for rent. They are within walking distance of StarBucks which made my wife happy, and near the CowBoy Saloon which is cheaper at lunch time then dinner. The private beach is really nice just to sit and read a book, listen to the water and watch the ducks go by.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jazz398
Reviewed October 7, 2008

this place grew on me. i googled cabins to rent in big bear that allowed dogs. i had never been to big bear but needed to get away from LA for a few days. the girl on the phone helped me pick a studio cabin. i was a little afraid that i was going to be in the middle of nowhere, but this property turned out to be nicely situated from what i could tell about big bear. it's a block from the village, and right on the lake. it should be noted that they have "frontier one" and "frontier two." one section is closer to the lake, i think it's "frontier two." It's a better location. when i arrived i thought i had made a mistake because the cabin was not far from the street--you can hear traffic and there was construction a few blocks away, plus the housekeepers vacuuming. it was worse than LA. but as days went on and the construction ended, and i saw how crappy most of the other cabin rental properties looked around town, i realized i scored. big time. this is not as rustic as you might think--maid service, clean, microwave, shampoo, ironing board, cable tv--but it's probably not as nice either. i stayed in cabin 24 which is tiny, but has a big deck to view the lake. met a guy there who has been going up there for years to fish on the lake and says he wouldn't stay anywhere else. i thought i wanted to leave as soon as i got there, but by the end of my trip i was happy to have stayed. it's all good. for the price, i doubt it can be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#3 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Big Bear Frontier? Share your experiences!