“Great Place to Be”
Review of Big Bear Frontier

Big Bear Frontier
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed in cabin 24 for three nights Oct. 19-22nd, and had a great time. The cabin was small but had a great view of the lake and the cost was around $88 per night. It had a large porch, and when you came out the back, the area towards the left is like a minature park, with picnic tables and bbq grills.
The staff is extremely friendly especially Richard, and more then willing to accommodate you with everything you need. We were celebrating our 7th year wedding anniversary. They gave us wine glasses, and we sat in the lobby near the fireplace which they had just lit, and enjoyed our wine. They have free internet service in the lobby, as well as a pool table, and plenty of videos for rent. They are within walking distance of StarBucks which made my wife happy, and near the CowBoy Saloon which is cheaper at lunch time then dinner. The private beach is really nice just to sit and read a book, listen to the water and watch the ducks go by.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jazz398

Reviewed October 7, 2008

this place grew on me. i googled cabins to rent in big bear that allowed dogs. i had never been to big bear but needed to get away from LA for a few days. the girl on the phone helped me pick a studio cabin. i was a little afraid that i was going to be in the middle of nowhere, but this property turned out to be nicely situated from what i could tell about big bear. it's a block from the village, and right on the lake. it should be noted that they have "frontier one" and "frontier two." one section is closer to the lake, i think it's "frontier two." It's a better location. when i arrived i thought i had made a mistake because the cabin was not far from the street--you can hear traffic and there was construction a few blocks away, plus the housekeepers vacuuming. it was worse than LA. but as days went on and the construction ended, and i saw how crappy most of the other cabin rental properties looked around town, i realized i scored. big time. this is not as rustic as you might think--maid service, clean, microwave, shampoo, ironing board, cable tv--but it's probably not as nice either. i stayed in cabin 24 which is tiny, but has a big deck to view the lake. met a guy there who has been going up there for years to fish on the lake and says he wouldn't stay anywhere else. i thought i wanted to leave as soon as i got there, but by the end of my trip i was happy to have stayed. it's all good. for the price, i doubt it can be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank raven1LosAngeles
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We loved Big Bear Frontier Cabins. We booked directly with the property. On the phone they were always nice, and helped me to select a good room. We stayed in a jacuzzi studio cabin (#258) and it was great. We brought our three Golden Retrievers with us, they especially liked the lake. Everything in the cabin was clean, and we were sure to leave it that way. If there was something you needed all you had to do was ask the office. We got wine glasses and salt and pepper with no problem. The staff was very friendly. I really liked the landscaping, everything was lush and well taken care of. The beach was clean and never too crowded. After being on a boat on the lake, its one of the nicest beaches around. All of the cabins have nice little patios with chairs and a table. There are tons of grill and picnic table scattered around the property. Location is great to, a short walk to the village and there is a little shop (in case you forgot something) right across the street. We plan on coming to Big Bear again and will stay here. I will be recommending to friends as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The Big Bear Frontier Hotel is the ONLY place in Big Bear I would stay. My boyfriend and I stayed there over Memorial Day Weekend & this hotel is our new favorite. We stayed 2 nights in the jacuzzi suite. The room was spotlessly clean,spacious and very comfortable, complete with a kitchenette and fireplace. The decor was country/woodsy themed and very appropriate for the surroundings. The staff was warm and friendly. The lobby was very cozy and inviting. They have a great coffee & tea setup. The hotel provides plenty to keep you busy: pool table, movie library, internet availabitly, swimming pool, bbq grills, private lakeshore and basketball court. Also, this facitly is pet friendly. Although we didn't bring our jack russell terrier on this particular trip, I can't wait to take her the next time.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Had a wonderful relaxing 6 day stay. Cabin was clean and well maintained. Staff was more than accomadating in every way. My pets were welcome. I was looking for a place to relax and I sure found that at Big Bear Frontier. It was close to shopping and restaurants. The cabin was right on the lake with lovely views. I was only scheduled for 3 nights and ended up staying 6. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Well my husband and i along with our 3 year old son booked this place last minute so i was not expecting great but satisfactory. Anywho from the moment i spoke with them to book they were nothing but friendly...going above and beyond trying to help us and accommodate our stay there. Well she said our check in was at 3pm but we had arrived at 12pm to do some early sledding and we had no idea where to go so my husband suggested that i call the frontier lodge since they had been so helpful before well to my surprise she said that our room was ready if we wanted to check in early and she would map out this the way to this place she takes her son thats free with lots of snow and hills great i exclaimed! It actually worked out better we were able to unpack and take our son to this sledding park which was literally walking distance from the frontier lodge to the park it took us 3 minutes by car it was so much fun we all had a blast tons of space for everyone to ride down their tobaggons!!! Thanks to them and their friendly staff...ROOM WAS GREAT,LOCATION WAS RIGHT WHERE EVERYTHING WAS AT, SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT, LOVED THEIR VIDEO RENTALS TOO... AND WOULD DEFINITELY STAY THERE AGAIN

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at this property for 2 nights in February and absolutely hated it. I booked the most expensive cabin. I was told it was "premium", certainly at $170 plus tax a night it should have been. But NO.... it was so dirty and small. The beds were very very uncomfortable. I ended up with major back pain and I don't even have back problems! My son, who is only 7 couldn't even sleep after a day of skiing. You'd think, he was tired enough to sleep anywhere.
You should see their blankets. It's like they wiped someone's rear end with them and plus they have major wholes in them. I wondered why??? I was tempted to bring them to the front desk and say:" Does this look like $170 a night to you?" I didn't, since I was preoccupied with my kids and didn't want any conflict.
I'm very sorry I didn't read the reviews here before. DON'T make the same mistake.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Marina Resort
Marina Resort
#8 of 19 in Big Bear Region

Been to Big Bear Frontier? Share your experiences!