“Started off well, and turned out better”

Big Bear Frontier Cabins
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
California
“Started off well, and turned out better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Our one-bedroom lakefront cabin already made for a good stay. There were a few noticeable markings that you could tell the jacuzzi and bathroom were a little worn down, but nothing that would deter us from staying there again. We think the smoke alarm was poorly placed in the bedroom because any time a log fell off the fire, the emanating smoke immediately set off the alarm. (And no, we didn't cause any fires :P) The bedroom was spacious, and the kitchen/dining room/living room was pretty small, but good enough for my husband, my dog, and me. The location was great (walking distance to The Village), and the staff was friendly enough.
The next day, we were informed of a gas leak near our cabin, so they moved us to a bigger cabin although it wasn't lakefront. Upon walking into our new cabin, all I could think was "thank you, gas leak!" :). Cabin #262 was beautiful! Three bedrooms and one bathroom, a huge living room, and a complete kitchen and dining room! I almost felt bad not having to use the two other rooms, but we took full advantage of the spaciousness, comfort, and the "rustic luxury" (I don't know any other way to describe it) of this huge cabin. It was a sweet upgrade! And this cabin was so beautiful that we've already told our closest friends that we have to go back there for a double-date vacation.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Excuse my dramatic title but that is what happened. If you are looking for a place to stay a night or two with your friends or family. This is a decent place. If you want a nice romantic getaway, DO NOT COME HERE. I had a really romantic night planned out and it didn't happen.

1. Office says they close at 10 and they closed at 9:15 so I had to go to a store and buy firewood.
2. Chimney did not work well and the whole room filled with smoke (no romantic chimney fire or s'mores)
3. Half way into filling the jacuzzi with hot water, the hot water runs out. Waited an hour, hot water never came back. (Jacuzzi room was the most important thing for me in the trip. Very disappointed I couldn't even use it.)

Again, my review is more of a couple romantic getaway night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank sjrosas
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. I do apologize for you not being 100% satisfied with your stay. It is always my hope that guests inform me of there issues prior to departure so that I can provide a solution. This was not the case in your situation. In fact, I called you after your review was published to offer a free night in our cabins, which you declined.

Usually during the off season our office does close earlier, but never before 10PM. I'm sorry if you came by with no one here. I do hope that the store across the street from our property was able to see you firewood. With regards to our in-room fireplaces, our chimney's are swept bi-annually and are always open to prevent smoke from coming in to the room. Many times, guest will use wood without necessary fire-starters, which could cause wood to smoke. I also apologize if you felt there was not enough hot water necessary for your whirlpool tub. These units have extra water heaters to accommodate these tubs.

In closing, it is my hope that you will reconsider my offer and try one of our cabins. I'm sure you will be 100% satisfied.

Ryan Vasquez
Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed at the Frontier during the last few weeks of October in the shoulder season. The cabin we stayed in #21 had a view of the lake and a nice little deck out front. Our unit had been recently remodeled with nice woodwork and a spa in the bedroom. It is just a short walk across a park like area down to the water where there were chairs set up to enjoy the beach. It was a bit brisk for sunbathing when we were there, but very pleasant to relax as the sun went down. There are a variety of cabins available with most in a rustic woodsy setting. A few have a view or partial view of the lake. In the lodge and reception area there is a nice fireplace with a number of comfortable chairs. It was a great location and we could easily walk to the restaurants in the village.The staff was accommodating and helpful. This was our first visit to Big Bear and we had a wonderful time. We are so glad we were staying at the Big Bear Cabins & Hotel. We had a perfect stay and the pool and hot tub were much appreciated!

Room Tip: Call and speak to the staff directly for advise.
2 Thank chris m
Helendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Me and the wife hastily planned a getaway to Big Bear for Black Friday night only. I originally tried to get into the Big Bear Frontier (BBF) earlier in NOV based upon a friends recommendation. Though it was full the manager said to try back later in case of cancellations. Sure enough I did and got an excellent clean, cozy studio/type cabin complete with a whirlpool. The place looks as if it has been newly renovated or at least painted so it looks new but maintains the mountain wilderness appeal. At check in the staff was quick, attentive and when I asked about local attractions and events they were very knowledgeable. We found that one of the main advantages to this location is that it is right across the street from a market and an easy walk to The Village (local shops and restaurants). So, on that advice we decided to talk a nice walk to The Village right from our room! Later we returned rented a movie from the office and enjoyed it next to a gas fireplace inside. Very pleasant stay all within close walking distance to Big Bear's main attractions. A special thanks for the above average coffee in the lobby.

PS. Comfortable bed too.

Room Tip: They have several different room types so don't feel like you need to crowd into one room. I wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen S
Apple Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

when making your reservation at the Frontier, be aware that there are many cabin and room variations to choose from. A studio queen,as we had, is a very tight and small cozy cabin with an even smaller bathroom. choose a one bedroom cabin which will assure you a main living area and full kitchen to work with. there are really no views to speak of from any choice you make, but once inside,you do feel removed from the world, with pine paneling and stone fireplace. (fireplaces are not gas, so bring approved logs, check with front desk). Plan for a relaxing experience and I am sure you, as we will, return again.

2 Thank Ralph D
Orange County CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I & our dog enjoyed staying here very much. We were walking distance to the lake, we had a nice fireplace and a Jacuzzi tub, and a small kitchen. I wouldn't consider this a complaint, just a personal preference, that we prefer a comfortable king size bed over the queen size we had.

Room Tip: I would suggest viewing the rooms on line and or asking questions when you call, to get what you are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Temple City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Ny husband and I just went up for our 5th time to the Hotel and this time we got one of the studio cabins close to the lake and it was GREAT. We really do love the fact that the hotel does have it's own private beach and that it's close to the Viilage and Marina. The staff there (particularlaly Amy and Ryan the Manager) are so accomodating and helpful. Really, the whole Hotel staff there is great and the rooms are always clean.

I highly recommend it! We're even trying to see if we can make it up there 2 times next year. :-)

Marilyn Wintroath

Room Tip: The cabins and lakeside hotel rooms closer to the lake are quieter than the creekside rooms.
2 Thank mwintroath
#4 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins? Share your experiences!