“Not bad, but...”

Robinhood Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed February 12, 2006

Looking forward to a romantic evening, I booked room 26 for the weekend before Valentine's Day. I was happy to find that's not in the "old building" so the room itself was nice enough, although it seemed a bit unfinished in places. Some of the molding was missing or unpainted...that sort of thing. The bed was comfy and the little gas fireplace was kind of nice (although it worked on a timer and didn't have varying degrees of heat). They provided a coffee maker, microwave, and mini fridge, even some bowls, silverware, and glasses, but no mugs or even paper cups! What the heck are you supposed to drink coffee from in the morning, those thin plastic water cups? The in-room spa was the biggest disapointment. I confirmed with management that each room has it's own water heater. Supposedly this is enough to fill the tub. I think not! We made do with a shallow hot tub that didn't even cover the jets until we got in and displacement took effect. And that little hot water got cold fast and there wasn't anything to replace it with. Oh, and the food at the resort's restaurant was disapointing to say the least. Thankfully the "International" restaurant next door was simply incredible!

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

St. Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2005

The Robinhood Resort has been our home away from home for over 5 years.We are in our eighties and we drive 2,200 miles to enjoy the mountains and the surrounding areas.The joy that comes from the interacting with a caring staff that comes forward when a SIGNIFICANT problem occurs is beyond the most vivid imagination. During our last sojourn my sweetheart broke her hip, the Robinhood staff together with other concerned Big Bear residents came forth to help.During WWII I was a member of air combat crew and memories of the caring medics meeting returning planes came back to me. There is no greater love.A special kind of magnetism draws us back to Big Bear.Liveable accommodations with an environment beyond description provides a few weeks of detactment from the engulfing world

• Stayed: April 2004
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 4, 2005

Our stay at the Robinhood Inn Resort was a magnificant, much needed, mini-vacation. The price was right, service was excellent, the room tastefully decorated with a real wood-burning fireplace, and a real treat was the heated spa. Another bonus was the discounted ski package and the Continental breakfast offered in the cozy lobby. We appreciated the convenient location--within walking distance to great shopping and best of all, right next door to Knottinghams Restaurant. I'm not kidding when I say the food prepared by Pancho, the cook, was absolutely, deliciously, wonderful!! We'll be back again, that's for sure!!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Livermore, CA
Reviewed February 1, 2005

I reserved a room here for a ski trip with my brother based on favorable reviews on this site. In general, reviews said it was older but the staff was friendly and it was well maintained. Well, they were right about it being older and wrong about the friendly staff!

We checked into room #7. It was definitely much older and more dumpy than I thought it would be. The beds were cheap ones from the 70s that make Motel 6's seem luxurious. My wife would not have stayed there. But as guys we tolerated it. When we arrived the room was about 50 deg and when I told the front desk the heat didn't work. They came up, lit the pilot light, and left. When it still didn't heat up I messed around with the thermostat and determined the batteries were dead. When I went to ask for new batteries the person at the front desk acted like I was asking for the world. Even with new batteries the thermostat never did properly control the temperature and we woke at least once every night to either turn up or turn down the heat.

On a Sunday eve we had skied all day and were looking forward to resting in the hot tub, which had been on the previous two nights. When we got there it was turned off so we went in to request they turn it on. They told us they were not running it because there wearn't enough guests to use it. When I reserved the room I specifically asked if they had a hot tub because I knew we'd want to use it after a long day of skiing. They never mentioned anything about not running it when there were few guests. When I pointed this out, that we paid for the room having been told it would be available, the passive aggressive response I got from the staff was "well, do what you want", which was equivalent to fu&? you, because the area was locked and we didn't know how to turn it on.

I have only stayed at a few places more dumpy than this, and no place with as rude a staff. I think pretty much any place else in town would be better.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 28, 2004

We stayed here 12/26/04 for 2 nights. My husband reserved 2 rooms in the old, original building (we had room # 2 near the office). Unfortunately, they were booked up in their newer building, otherwise we would have stayed there. The old building is an absolute dump!!! It looks like a tenement apartment. I wasn't expecting this at all. Yucky green carpet, a stained "spa" in the living room you couldn't pay me to "relax" in, and old worn, bed sheets with holes in them! There was white dust on top of the phonebook. The comforter seemed 25 years old. It made me so angry that we probably paid more (whatever more was) because it was the holiday season. I think my husband was suckered in by the beautiful photos of the other rooms. "Unfortunately," there was a small flood in the bathroom (the spa leaked for no reason) so we had to move across the street to the new building to spend one night in their nicer rooms. Aaaahhhhh. But then back to yuck room the next day. On the upside, the staff were friendly and available to help out. It IS a great location as it is on the main blvd and walking distance to the village and a short drive to peak. So as long as you are not in their older rooms (or if you are, and are aware of what you are getting and are fine with it) you should be happy.

7  Thank Tanya1296
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2004

My Husband and I recently took a trip to California. We never book a hotel, so just take pot luck. We drove upto Big Bear Lake, and stopped in various motels asking for rates and then came across The Sherwood Forest Resort, which just looked so inviting. We went in and haggled a price, and they were very accommodating, and booked a room for 2 nights. It was clean, comfortable and very friendly, and coming from the UK, I would definitely recommend the Resort to anybody, both American, British or whereever.

We would definitely go back and stay there again, and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Simi Valley, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2004

We were disappointed with our stay at the Robinhood Inn. We stayed in the "older" part and it really showed its age. Perhaps we should have stayed in the newer section. Their restaurant (Nottingham's) was nothing more than a glorified coffee shop. The service was rude and slow. We could have used my steak as a spare tire (maybe that's why it had Goodyear branded into it..lol). I consider myself a sound sleeper, but the noise from that place kept us up almost all night. First, we were practically right on the street at what is probably Big Bear's busiest intersection. Secondly, there was a band palying downstairs in the bar all night (or so it seemed). We could hear everything (I mean everything!) coming from the room nextdoor.Next time we will ask more questions before we book on how a place sounds.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 mi away
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#2 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Robinhood Resort? Share your experiences!