“not good enough - 2 out of 10 - several significant issues”

Huilo Huilo Montana Magica Lodge
London
“not good enough - 2 out of 10 - several significant issues”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

6 March; Magic Mountain (MM) Reception, the MM Bar and MM Restaurant are out of use and there is a sign saying to check-in at the adjoining hotel. I’m given room MM5 – it has a bath and I’m grateful for that; (most if not all MM rooms have a bath) the bath water is barely hot enough and I have to refill the bath after 15 minutes with hot water. The room itself is tired – the shower area has some mould, the carpet is generally in good condition and clean but in several areas by walls / doors is falling apart (easy to amend by sticking a strip of wood over the top). The 3 windows in my room are dirty and overlook the tunnel between the buildings and the service car park, in addition, outside my room is a generator (perhaps for heating) so not a good room – probably any other room in MM is better but I’d also avoid rooms 4 and 6.
I go to reception and try to get my room changed but their English is insufficient and after having a meeting with the housekeeper in my room (who has no English) I give up.
It feels like 20 to 30 guests are actually in the whole resort and breakfast appears to be laid out for 20; more guests arrive on the Thursday and apparently occupancy rises to 80 guests (maximum capacity 180).
Litter - This morning I met the Reception staff manager and walked with him around the MM car park and showed him all the litter that had been there for weeks or months. Reception staff told me many other guests had also complained about the litter. The manager said he would resolve the problem by tonight and most of the litter had been collected, but 20% remained – I showed the 20% to reception evening staff; it was still there when I checked out the following day. Why should Chileans or hotel guests care about Huilo Huilo when the management and the employees don’t care about the litter! Given there were several Tour Guide staff apparently doing no work for some or all of today why didn’t they clean the paths of litter.
Service in the restaurant - In the restaurant tonight chef again produced good food, not outstanding but sufficient. I had to go and find the restaurant manager to get four tables surrounding me cleared of dishes where the guests had already left the restaurant. Last night in desperation I went to the bar to place my food order as no one showed any interest in taking my order at the table! The waitresses are friendly and willing but lack training and management supervision. The 8-minute deer video was playing in the restaurant tonight – same as last night – does the hotel only have one eight-minute video? Even the restaurant manager wasn’t able to get the video changed! The music in the restaurant tonight was again inaudible despite requests to get it at a sensible level.
On the upside the Resort architecture is innovative, the Spa and pool are very good; house-keeping and food are good. The surrounding area (excluding the litter) is beautiful.
Summary - overall it’s not good enough and that's ignoring how expensive it is. It lacks attention to detail, frayed carpets in my bedroom, litter all around outside, allocated a bedroom in MM when the hotel is almost empty (1st night) overlooking the service car park and by the generators!!! Despite Magic Mountain being nearly fully occupied tonight (2nd night), the MM reception, bar and restaurant are still closed, why? Clearly Magic Mountain guests are not valued. To add insult, I have a significant problem with the bill which I’m still trying to resolve.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 4, 5 or 6 in Magic Mountain - room 5 being the worst
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
64 Thank SeriousTraveller01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Me and my girlfriend we decide to have the holiday of our life and one of the places we wanted to be was this "Montaña Magica Lodge" wich is part of the Huilo Huilo complex, originally we reserved for 7 days (one week) this because we wanted to rest after a long hard work year and enjoy all the activities promoted in their website and information sent by them before book.
We drove from Temuco airport and then after get in Punahue it was no sings or direction apart from one and only sign saying we where in the right road, after been lost in other unfinished complex for about an hour we finally got there, upon arrival the place is absolutely stunning, everything the smell, the colours, the vibe is all perfect. Then we when to have dinner and then start the odd situation. First we found hair in the dinner we told the waiter but we didn't complain.
Next day in the morning we get up early to start programming all the activities we wanted to do, then for our surprise even that I had call them one week in advance to confirm, they just have a third of the activities that they promote: No archery, No volcano excursion, no Rafting, no XL canopy, no hidrospeed, no trekking glacier, no paint ball, ETC! so after BIG deception we when for a self guide walk in the surrounding areas of the complex which it was amazing, then after being walking for about 5 hours we decide to go to the SPA!, which we wanted to do every day to relax. First, the shower before entering the sauna/steam rooms didn't work (cold pissing water) then Sauna it was nearly cold (below 20 degrees) then when we try to get in the steam room it was unbearable hot (probably more than 70 degrees) so then we wanted to use the hydro-massage bath with some or the oils and milks offered in the list, NONE of them was available!!, indoor swimming pool great! but the jacuzzis cold! then the outdoor swimming pool it was a swamp!!!, and "close for maintenance" and finally after been trying unsuccessfully to enjoy we ask for the aromatherapy massage which none was available.
After all this and considering we where paying US$360 per nigh I decide to complain and i manage to talk with quality control manager, as a apologies they send us to the room a champagne bottle and a selection of cheese which we consider a great touch all this until we start eating and look closely at the cheese where ALL OF THEM where rotten ann hairy!!!! my girlfriend and myself start to panic and after been traveling from UK to there for so long and have this misleading and horrible experience i got to talk with the Director of the Huilo Huilo which he end it up offering a really good discount compensation.

My advice is you can stay in surrounding areas (and pay 1/8 of the hotel price) and go there for a day or if you are brave enough have dinner, nothing or no one stop you to go inside and have a look, people is really friendly and helpful, but if you are looking for Spa & Hotel this isn't the place, all the excursion you can get them for half price with the locals in Neltume or Puerto Fuy as i end it up doing!.

Room Tip: I had the room number 2 and is something breath taking, is like sleep in a fairy tale story...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
74 Thank MiguelAngelTattoo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We have stayed 2 nights at this hotel in January 2009 on our Chile trip.
We had a very adventurous ride getting to the hotel which added to the anticipation but in the end we found the hotel alright. (although there were moments when I was very happy there was another tourist car on the road behind us...)
I have never been to a hotel with such fantastic design and creativity. The hotel is actually shaped like a volcano and there is water pouring down between the windows every day.
You really feel like being in a fairy tale, the whole design is very playful and includes loads of natural elements (lots of wood).
The rooms are not huge, but it is understandable when you consider the shape of the building. Still there is a well-sized and comfy bed and the funniest furniture and bathroom I have ever had in a hotel.
The hotel is situated in the Huilo Huilo biological reserve so there is plenty to see around, you can visit the nearby waterfalls, you can easily spend here 2 nights enjoying nature and relaxing.
The restaurant of the hotel caters for a very nice meal at the end of the day, giving you a chance to wind down after a day out.

Room Tip: Every room is a unique experience
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
24 Thank oszorsi
California
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Montana Magica is part of the Huilo Hilo complex which also includes the Baobab Hotel. Both hotels are interconnected. Any comment about one hotel also applies to the other since Management is one and the same. This place is a must see, unique in the world. The concept could not be better: It is built in the middle of a biosphere declared as a national heritage by UNESCO. Biosphere here means Patagonian wilderness. The place is extremely remote, from whatever direction you are trying to travel there. Making a reservation is equally challenging. The tourist office at the International Airport in Santiago tried to book a room for me. They were told by someone at Huilo Huilo that they could not take a reservation over the phone and that I would have to send them an e-mail. I did as requested, but there was never a reply. When I met some folks later on my trip they told me that the hotel is notorious for poor service, but they tried to call on my behalf. They could not get through to any of the phone numbers found on the internet. Hours later, it so happened that there was a tourist office at the bus terminal in Valdivia from where I intended to start my overland journey to the hotel. They tried to call, but told me that they could not do it for me because the number was not a local one, but one in Santiago. They referred me to the Locutorio Publico where someone dials the number, routes the call to a nearby phone booth and keeps track of the charges. Guess what, I got a reservation. I was quoted a price that was difffrent from what a friend of mine got quoted only a few days earlier for a basic single occupacy room. Anyway, that price seemed to hold until I arrived at around 9:15 p.m.. At check-in the price had gone up by approvx. USD 40. I made a fuss and was given the originally confirmed price. This price was good until it came to check-out, when again they tried to overcharge me. This time by double the price. Again I had to argue with them. This time the excuse was that they thought I had reserved a room with double occupancy. Finally this got straightened outy, too and I left toward San Martin. Going there in winter is a challenge because beyond Pirihueico there is no public transport available. You either have to hitch a ride from someone you meet on the ferry from Puerto Fuy or you are out of luck and may have to return with the same ferry 2 1/2 hours later or so.
Coming back to the hotel: All in all a worthwhile experience. The architecture is stunning and so is the food and the scenery. Yet, one more caveat for the winter travelers: the hotel cannot be heated comfortably. There are some ugly space heaters inside, but they cannot heat up the entire place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
18 Thank BHSCalifornia
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We were traveling through lakes district and thought we stay there one night. It was almost a 4 hour drive from Puerto Varas, longer than we expected. The roads are not well marked once you get off Rt 5, and we had some trouble finding it. The last hour is on very rough dirt roads. But, it is an amazing place, and worth seeing. It is not a place to go for one night - and, listen carefully, it is NOT a place to go if you don't speak Spanish. For a resort of its type, it was shocking that no one, not even at the front desk, spoke more than a few words of broken English. The slide show describing treks was entirely in Spanish - we could not understand our options at all. Also, as an aside, we had emails confirming a room in Magic Mountain, but they put us in Hotel Baobob. This was not a huge deal, but disappointing. Grounds, trails, pool, spa, all spectacular.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
22 Thank robdavis309
Somerset, UK
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Whoever designed this hotel must be insane or at least have an unhealthy obsession with tree houses. That said it is still a really good 'four star quality' hotel in an amazing location with plenty of interesting activities available.

The rooms are comfortable (we were in Magic Mountain), the staff efficient and friendly. The chunky wood construction makes it a little bizarre - rather like staying in Fred Flinstone's house according to my wife.

There are plenty of good excursions available (to suit all ages). We did two great walks. And don't miss the excellent walk from the hotel (about an hour) down to rapids and waterfalls on the Huilo Huilo river.

Although the hotels were busy, some of the buildings in the complex looked rundown and derelict - there is a 'pub' which was closed and a rather strange area with animal enclosures.

We ate breakfasts and a couple of meals in the restaurant - satisfactory but not great. We also ate at a restaurant in a hotel with a fabulous lakeside location in Puerto Fey which is a couple of kilometers down the road - don't remember the name but you can't miss it. Good meal but for some reason they served my soup at the same time as my main course - probably my poor Spanish. There are also a couple of cheaper restaurants in nearby Neltume.

I recommend these hotels even if it's just to experience their unusual design and ambiance.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Spineynorman
Zurich
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Getting there over gravel roads is the not what we liked most, but we knew that as in many other areas, roads still have a rough surface. In our case it was even more special as it had rained for a couple of days ... However - from the moment we got there we were spoilt: excellent and helpful reception, friendly bellboy, the waitresses, the gentlemen at the bar, and many others - they did their best just to provide an excellent service to all the guests. Unfortunately the weather was not as we expected, but the stay at the hotel compensated (at least for part) of the missed beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bariloche-61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neltume
Huilo Huilo Nothofagus Hotel
Hostal Salto El Puma
Hostal Salto El Puma
#7 of 11 in Neltume
Huilo Huilo Nawelpi Lodge

Been to Huilo Huilo Montana Magica Lodge? Share your experiences!