Orveas Bay Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$146
Travelocity
Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel(Sooke)(Great Value!)
$155
Westin.com
$153
$132
FourPoints.com
Van Riper's Resort(Sekiu)(Great Value!)
$80
  • Beachfront
Curley's Resort and Dive Center(Sekiu)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Free Internet
$118
Hotels.com
Villa Eyrie Resort(Malahat)(Great Value!)
$147
$139
Priceline
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewscaptain's quartershot tubpiece of heavenhearts and soulspine treesbbq mealport renfrewlittle touchesspent wonderful daysthought of everythingthe cottagesbooks and magazinesgardens surroundingpeaceful locationbeautiful resortjuan de fuca straitboard games
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My friend and I try to get away for "girl's weekend" every spring. We had stayed at a few places before I found Orveas Bay. Since then, we wouldn't even consider looking for somewhere else!

We've had four long weekends there now and think of the place as our personal retreat. A place to relax, read, enjoy the fire, have quiet dinners, go for long walks or simply sit gazing out over the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

It's hard to describe what happens while you're there - but it's something wonderful!

We've stayed in both the Captain's quarters and the First Mate's quarters. These are not like hotel suites - they are like beautiful, fully equipped homes - furnishings are relaxed and luxurious. There are interesting architectural details everywhere, wonderful nick-nacks such as old clocks and tasteful folk art. You could spend (and I have) a whole day just noticing the little details of the architecture and decor.

There are candles everywhere (including on the deck) and flowers always. Need binoculars to see something out on the strait? They have them. Forgotten a notebook and pen? They have them. Want to read a magazine or two? Forgot your book? They have them. Want to play some music? CD player provided. Watch a movie? Always a nice selection provided. The first year we went to Orveas Bay, I packed a large bag of items I thought we might need and that the resort might not provide. Never had to do that again!

Orveas Bay is not just accommodation - it's an experience. It's owners are delightful and clearly have put their hearts and souls into creating this oasis.

Each time we arrive, enter through the garden with its little pond, and open the door, we both give a huge sigh of relief. It's as if we are weary sailors who, after many months at sea, have finally arrived safely at home.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank VisitorSMH
Reviewed May 9, 2011

What a wonderful getaway away from the busy bustle of nursing school and "city" life. This stay was a very special birthday present for me, and with the fabulous scenery, nature hikes and walking on the beach these memories will stay with me. Sitting in the hot tub, listening to all the different bird songs and looking at the ocean took my breath away! The starboard cottage was absolutely perfect and all of the extra little touches made it so difficult for us to leave when the time came. We look forward to many more trips and investigating the lighthouse. Thank you Ron and June for your hospitality, we will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We found Orveas Bay by accident - our original plans had us going from Victoria to Tofino until we started looking at the driving times, and with two young kids, less time in the car is always a plus. We stumbled upon the website for Orveas Bay, and realized that Orveas Bay was just over an hour outside of Victoria, rather than Tofino, which is more than 5 hours away. We were hoping for good beaches, some hiking, a comfortable place to stay, and a restful vacation. Orveas Bay delivered all of this and more.

We stayed in the Captain's Quarters, and walking up, there was a note on the door, and we were told to make ourselves at home. Our hosts, Ron and June are lovely, and know the right balance of what is enough contact. Our quarters were awesome - everything we wanted and didn't expect to find. Lots and lots of little touches to make it feel like a home away from home. There were lots of knick knacks, vases of fresh flowers, wood laid in the fireplace if we wanted a fire, fixings for breakfast in the fridge, and did I mention the books? or the hot tub? or the view? or the gardens? or the clam shell deep tub inside? This is the kind of place you want to stay. It is private, the grounds are well kept, and your quarters are clean, and homey. You have everrything that you need to have a magical stay.

We went to the local grocery store in Sooke, and made our meals in. We traveled up the coast to Port Renfrew, and spent time at Botanical Beach, Botany Bay, China Beach, and French Beach. This is a beautiful part of the island - you do not need to go to Tofino to experience the wild west coast. The beaches here are even better in some ways because they are more diverse - more to see.

We will be back. We hesitated in writing a review - a place like this you almost don't want other people to know about so you have a better chance to get the times that you want! It deserves kudos, and it is a grand place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I had a respite of a couple of days at this wonderful resort. We arrived in early afternoon to find a note on our cabin door saying to make ourselves at home, door unlocked and key in lock. We walked into this cozy cabin with the most wonderful view of the Juan de Fuca straight. The cabin was so clean and everything that we needed was there in the kitchen. The bedrooms had thick down covers and the beds were so comfortable. We had an upstairs with a queen bed which was also comfortable and inviting. The view from the sitting rooms was magnificient. I slept with the window open upstairs and I could hear the surf of the ocean. We never saw another person except the owner once and he was helpful in answering our questions. The grounds are very well organised and lots of beaches close by. You can even buy fresh eggs, on the honour system no less, from a nearby farm. I will return to this wonderful resort. It really is paradise on earth and so peaceful. It's a stay to remember and I thank June & Ron.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carmelle N
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Orveas Bay Resort is the perfect place for a quiet getaway. We stayed in the Starboard cabin for three days to relax and do reading since I was having some knee problems. It was just what we were looking for. Lots of places to sit and look at the view, beautiful flowers, cute tchotchkes - the hosts definitely put a lot of care into this place. And I didn't mind at all making breakfast - they provide supplies and we supplemented with some eggs of our own. If you're looking for a getaway cabin with charm and privacy, Orveas Bay is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple