“Very enjoyable, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Riso
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Lantzville
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver Island, BC
“Very enjoyable, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went on a Saturday night with a reservation -- thank goodness because it was full! A small area, very cozy, quite warm due to the pizza oven. Waitress was very knowledgeable about wine pairings. Smallish menu but good food, mostly pizza and pasta dishes which concerned me because I am gluten intolerant. They were very accommodating and I ended up with soup, a great salad and prawn appetizer. The rest of the party were happy with their meal. I would definitely return.

• Visited October 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hi Mickey1952,
Thanks for your review. We're glad we could accommodate your menu needs. Besides the pizza and pasta, we keep our entrees and most starters GF. If you feel like pasta sometime, let us know when you make your reservation and we'll prepare GF pasta for you!
We're looking forward to serving you again.

Nanaimo, Canada
“Wonderful...but”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I had heard a lot of great things about Riso, especially about the the food. After living in Lantzville and cycling by Riso twice daily for nearly a year my girlfriend and I decided to finally visit and see for ourselves.

We had a reservation and after a few minutes of browsing the atmosphere we were greeted and seated.
This place is fairly open atmosphere, seating 30-40, and is slightly cramped. I sat in the booth side within elbow distance nearly to the patron at the next table. The decor is quite nice, lots of wood, nice open kitchen.

The service was quite slow, but I could see that they were busy, and normally this is something I don't mind. But the service, when present, just didn't seem present nor genuinely pleasant. It seemed rushed and uninspired...I felt like just another automaton on the factory line of their patrons.

Thankfully, the food was fabulous. The wine selection was really good also. We had a half litre of Kettle Valley Brakeman's select and started with the truffle fries. Very very nice fries, beats even Brasserie de l'ecole in Victoria on this dish.

I ordered the andouille pasta, and my partner had the lamb. Both lovely, wonderfully spiced and well portioned and served.

Alas, no room for the delicious sounding desserts.

So...we will go back, I have hope in my heart this was an off night for the service. (I think she may have been the proprietor.) The food was just THAT alluring.

Thanks Riso.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, David. We're glad you decided to dismount from your bikes and come in for a meal.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the service, and your acknowledgement that we were busy. As my husband and I (proprietor) were full throttle cooking your meals, it would have been one of our staff serving you that evening. I regret that we were not able to serve you to our usual, passionate standard.
We're looking forward to hosting you again, and maybe you'll have a little room for dessert.
Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada
“Happy to be here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We were for Sunday brunch so a full review was not possible. Riso,s has a very nice feeling. The decor is modern but with a very warm and personal touch. Lantzville is a very pretty village with a seaside location.
I tried the Italian Eggs Bennidict which was superb with the poached cooked perfectly.
We look forward to returning for dinner.

Tom Constable
Qualicum Beach

Visited September 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thanks, Tom!
We're glad you enjoyed your brunch. We look forward to serving you again!
North Vancouver
“Excellent food, fine staff, wonderful ambience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

All round top notch meal and restaurant experience! We are frequent visitors to the Nanaimo area and this place is definitely on our lunch and dinner priority list.

• Visited August 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for your review and your words of praise, Hoojeanie.
Since you visit Nanaimo quite often, we hope to see you again soon!
Nanaimo, Canada
“Some of the best food on Vancouver Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

It's quite simple: Riso wowed me. The food is a brilliant combination of simple concepts, brilliantly executed with a strong ethical focus on local and organic ingredients. The authentic italian pizzas are minimal and cooked to perfection; the lunch sandwices such as the chicken, spinach and brie are scrumptious yet very affordable; and the entrees are simply decadent. Plus I almost always pick up a loaf of some of the best sourdough breads I've ever had. I've been many times since the restaurant opened and go back every time I have a chance. I feel blessed to travel frequently into area of Riso!

• Visited July 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Whelm_King, thank you for your review.
We're happy to be able to use such amazing local ingredients, and that regular customers like yourself enjoy them. I'm so glad you feel blessed to visit us so frequently - the feeling is mutual. :D