Tripadvisor

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cotton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rachael and Nathan have taken the helm at The a Trowel and Hammer which is a Picturesque part-thatched pub in the beautiful village of Cotton serving excellent homemade food, well kept real ales, a wide selection of lagers and ciders, as well as an extensive range of wines and soft drinks. Always something happening join our Facebook page Trowel and Hammer Cotton to keep up to date!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Firstly I have to doubt some of those bad reviews, I am a local and have had several meals at the pub since Norfolk Table took over. I'm a social person and talk to lots of locals walking my dogs etc. and not heard one bad comment, in fact quite the opposite. On Sunday the 19th Jan I took a party of 16 persons there for a Sunday birthday lunch and everything was perfect, quality of food was excellent, huge portion sizes, all meals served quickly, service excellent and every one enjoyed it. One of my grandsons who is a poor eater actually for the first time ever ate all his dinner and said he enjoyed it. My wife and I have had 6 other meals there previously and each time I've tried something different and thoroughly enjoyed it and struggled to finish the very large portions. The presentation is different, scampi in a chest for example and plenty of it with decent chips, side with gherkin, silver skin onions, peas normal or mushy and tartare sauce. Yes it is pub grub but really good pub grub and excellent value for money. I can only guess that some of the reviews relate to the previous people and yes the food then was terrible. All I can say is give it a try for yourselves because I want these people to stay and make a success of it. Oh yes, another bonus, on Sunday Elvis was there, what more can you ask for. They have a meal deal on most days offering really good value.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (233)

Reviewed January 5, 2020

My wife and I - and now our offspring - have been visiting this pub for over thirty years, as it is our local. It has been through a multitude of owners, so we though we would try out the latest. The pub has always had a nice decor, supplemented (but not damaged) by the inclusion of large TV screens. The staff were very welcoming and the menu was diverse and reasonably priced. I asked for a variation in one of our meals, which was politely accommodated. The food was good (and very filling) and the service was attentive and friendly.
If you are in the Cotton area, please support this pub. It is clearly set up for a young crowd in the evenings and for couples and families at lunchtime and at the weekend. That is how the Trowel has always been. It's a good pub and it needs to be supported. We will go more often now that it is in good hands.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 23, 2019

Very lovely and understanding staff! Ultimate gluten free pizza, couldn’t even tell the difference! . Lovely enough to allow the gluten free base to go with any of the toppings used for the normal ones!
Great staff, great food and great atmosphere!

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 22, 2019

The Norfolk Table Ltd have now taken on this delightful pub, sad to say that once it was a delightful pub but is now nothing more than a Wetherspoons with high prices. No session lagers, people walking out as they were waiting to long for their food, atmosphere has gone and some staff who have no idea how to pull a pint or work the till. Tried their steak and all I can say it was well below par.
Locals not happy with the changes made which is not good for a country pub.

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank peteroO4593RZ
Reviewed November 30, 2019 via mobile

Went to Trowel for a birthday meal. The staff were very friendly and the pub has a lovely friendly atmosphere with two fires in the bar area and the oak beams and lots of nooks and crannies to eat in. The new owners have only been there a couple of months and what a difference from what the pub used to be. They are sorting it out bit by bit and doing a great job. The food is really good and very reasonably priced, with special deals during the day which are excellent value. On talking to the staff they informed us that the swimming pool in the rear garden that had previously been filled in was planned to be opened again in the near future. Overall this pub is a place to visit off the beaten track. Lovely spacious garden in the rear,and when the pool opens great for families in the Summer. I would recommend this pub unreservedly to anyone in the area.

Date of visit: November 2019