We were visiting family for a few days and the location suited us but remember it is on the far south side of the city. The hotel presents quite well at entry but corridors have no air-con which was not fun in the summer heat. First night was a problem as our air-con unit was dripping water all night. My wife got very little sleep. At about 1am we opened the slide windows - boy the runners need some work - noisy- felt sorry for the neighbouring rooms. We put towels on the floor to absorb water then we were woken in the early hours by the rubbish truck calling to the club next door ( our room was on the side that backed on to the back area of the adjacent Sports Club), then at about 7.30am we had club staff talking in their back car park.
We advised management of our problem the next day and we were moved to another room - it had a spa but the bed was smaller and seemed well used and there was a spa bath with an overhead shower- would be difficult for older people to step up and in the bath. We were also on the other side of the building away from the club.
The problem with the rooms is that the wall air-con units are on the same wall as the bedheads so the first night, the air was blowing right on my wife and then the other nights it was adjacent to and above my head which meant cold air falling on me. This air- con issue was a nuisance.
I used the 'gym' one day but the equipment is old and pretty ordinary- cross trainer did not work and seemed well -worn. The gym is a pokey little room next to the pool and I question why bother having it. Pool is indoor so the chlorine smell is strong. There is a sauna and spa but sauna could not be used on the Saturday when I went to use it because the tap for water in there had a hose connected for water to go into the pool.
Also on the Saturday, there was an afternoon wedding and the pre-meal drinks involved everyone sitting in the foyer drinking and talking - too bad there was no separate area for things such as that.
Tuggeranong Hyperdome is 5 mins walk away so handy for shopping, cheap meals and breakfast also. We had dinner at the adjacent sports club most nights. Meals were quite ok and not as abd as some other reviews seem to make out - it's club food but acceptable.
Overall ,the Country Comfort looks a bit tired in areas. Rooms could do with a spruce up, air-con needs to looked at ( incl corridors), get rid of the gym. Parking is ok, all open air, but was pretty full when we were there on some nights.
The price is good for Canberra- would I stay there again- maybe, but there are some new alternatives in the area albeit, apartment style hotels and they don't have a pool but there is a large indoor aquatic centre nearby. I'd consider my options and costs in any decision.
I did appreciate management taking action on our room problem after the first night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alpha Hotel Canberra is Tuggeranong's premier accommodation provider and is ideally located in the Tuggeranong Valley just 20 minutes drive south of Canberra City (with all of its attractions that include Parliament House, The Australian War Memorial, National Portrait Gallery etc) and the Canberra International Airport. The hotel backs on to the Brindabella ranges, right on the Murrumbidgee Corridor. Within a brief walking distance you will discover the Tuggeranong Hyperdome (with all of its restaurants and bars), Tuggeranong Vikings Club, Southern Cross Club, Ten Pin Bowling Centre, Cinema Complex, local restaurants, Basketball Stadium, Tuggeranong Lake, Aquatic Centre and the bus terminal, which has buses servicing the Canberra district on a regular basis. Guests at Alpha Hotel Canberra can enjoy lunch and dinner at Baa Moo restaurant 7 days a week (located at the Vikings Club). Room Service and restaurant dining is also available for dinner 7 days a week. Breakfast (including room service) is available 7 days a week in the Tinderbox Restaurant. The Tinderbox lobby bar with bar snacks is available 7 nights a week. Alpha Hotel Canberra is also close to the Department of Human Services (DHS), Department of Social Services (DSS), Defence and is adjacent to the Tuggeranong Office Park. We have a variety of hotel rooms and bedding configurations to suit all needs. These include Deluxe rooms with queen and twin bedding, Family Rooms that can sleep up to 6 and Spa or Honeymoon Suites for romantic getaways. We also have disabled rooms for those requiring easier access. Facilities include free car parking, free in room movies, a new large gym, spa and sauna, and a bar and restaurant. In room facilities include free in-room movies, tea, coffee, irons and ironing boards, individually controlled air-conditioning, in-room breakfast and dinner service (subject to restaurant opening times). Alpha Hotel Canberra also has 2 meeting and function rooms for conferences and weddings. These can accommodate up to 150 attendees. Attractive packages have been created for accommodation, conferences and groups. HOTEL FEATURES • Gym, spa and sauna • Free car parking • Conference and function rooms • Express Check Out • Wheelchair access throughout Hotel • Safety Deposit Box at reception Guest Laundry Facilities ROOM FEATURES • Variety of room types for the business traveller, families and romantics alike • Some rooms have views of the Brindabella ranges • Some rooms have external balconies or terraces. All have opening windows • Iron / Ironing Board • Air Conditioning • Direct Dial Telephone • Coffee / Tea Making Facilities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alpha Hotel Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Comfort Greenway Hotel Tuggeranong
- Country Comfort Greenway Canberra
- Alpha Hotel Canberra Tuggeranong